Should the Broncos renew Hunt's contract

Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

• Total voters
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I have to know ... who are the 8 halfbacks you think are better than Hunt.

I think the main difference between our opinions on halfbacks is that (and correct me if i'm wrong) you think that having a superior kicking game makes a halfback better than another, even if said player isn't as good as that player in all other aspects.

FTR, I have Hunt in the top 5

I have Thurston and Cronk as the top 2 and then I can't split Hunt, Johnson and DCE. (when these three are in top form)

It'd be hard to leave Hunt outside of the top 8 of Halfbacks in terms of just being good, because as you said, he's pretty good in every aspect apart from kicking & game management.

I could probably think of 8 Halfbacks who I think would be a better fit next to Anthony Milford though, this 8 isn't based purely on 2016 form either, it's based on what they're capable of doing at their best.

Thurston, Cronk, Johnson, Taylor, Cherry-Evans, A.Reynolds, Sezer, Foran*

* = Pending whether or not he's mentally & physically healthy

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I don't think Reynolds is better........Sezer is just as hit and miss as Hunt. So is Johnson.

Foran....? You're reaching.

I don't think we should settle with Hunt, longterm. I'd be looking to off him after 2018 and have Taylor wrapped up to sign back with us. (pending "potential")

Looks to have a good ying for Milford's yang.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
this 8 isn't based purely on 2016 form either, it's based on what they're capable of doing at their best.

Read this after.......I'll give you back Johnson.

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I have to know ... who are the 8 halfbacks you think are better than Hunt.

I think the main difference between our opinions on halfbacks is that (and correct me if i'm wrong) you think that having a superior kicking game makes a halfback better than another, even if said player isn't as good as that player in all other aspects.

FTR, I have Hunt in the top 5

I have Thurston and Cronk as the top 2 and then I can't split Hunt, Johnson and DCE. (when these three are in top form)
Not just kicking. Game management (especially 5th tackle decision making and execution), as well as a good passing game. Those are the most important aspects of any halfback in my opinion, which also happen to be the weakest areas of Hunt's game.
And it's even more important because of the partner he has in Milford, whom has the same weaknesses and strengths, but is the younger and more talented player.

I believe the halves need to complement each other, which is not the case here, even if they can definitely turn it on at times, and tear teams apart. Problem is they will seldom do that to the better teams in the competition, and don't have the ability to manage a close game and grind a team down.
All of those we have won recently, was not because we were keeping teams at a distance from our try line, but because of our excellent goal line defense, especially in 2015. Other teams on the other hand, kept piling on the pressure, and got us more times than we got them...

These are the halfbacks I believe are superior to Hunt in the above aspects, but not necessarily better players than him.
They are all players I would definitely prefer to partner Milford.

Thurston
Cronk
DCE
Johnson
A. Reynolds
Taylor
Pearce
Sezer
Foran

I'd add Mullen too if he wasn't a walking injury waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
How many years has JT got left in him? 2 as an elite player? Meaning you'd have to hope that JT and Milford clicked right away and nothing unfortunate happened in 2018. Nothing unfortunate in Rugby League? Unheard of.

Ditto Cronk.

After his past couple of seasons, DCE would be lucky to be included in the same conversation as Hunt.

Everybody would love Milford and Johnson...when they're putting 60 on also-rans. When they're against real competition, Johnson would be a likely contender for 'Worst Signing Eva'.

Deputy Taylor needs to step up. He has the talent, but let's not lose sight that he was very much a rookie half last year and played second fiddle to Roberts for the majority of last season. That's always been Taylor's problem, his inability to step up and seize the moment. He has the talent...but so did Brett Seymour, Tim Smith, Brett Firman, Joe Williams and a slew of other halves that have come and gone.

Pearce brings nothing the club already has.

Can Sezer string a handful of good games together? Hell, can he even string two good halves together? One of the most inconsistent players in the game.

Foran is a basket case and has been for years now. Maybe there's a Doctor Strange esque universe where he's a well adjusted adult, but it isn't ours.

That leaves Reynolds who doesn't provide anything other than a kicking game. He'd be the closest thing to an NFL style punter/kicker since he'd otherwise be getting in the way.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
How many years has JT got left in him? 2 as an elite player? Meaning you'd have to hope that JT and Milford clicked right away and nothing unfortunate happened in 2018. Nothing unfortunate in Rugby League? Unheard of.

Ditto Cronk.

After his past couple of seasons, DCE would be lucky to be included in the same conversation as Hunt.

Everybody would love Milford and Johnson...when they're putting 60 on also-rans. When they're against real competition, Johnson would be a likely contender for 'Worst Signing Eva'.

Deputy Taylor needs to step up. He has the talent, but let's not lose sight that he was very much a rookie half last year and played second fiddle to Roberts for the majority of last season. That's always been Taylor's problem, his inability to step up and seize the moment. He has the talent...but so did Brett Seymour, Tim Smith, Brett Firman, Joe Williams and a slew of other halves that have come and gone.

Pearce brings nothing the club already has.

Can Sezer string a handful of good games together? Hell, can he even string two good halves together? One of the most inconsistent players in the game.

Foran is a basket case and has been for years now. Maybe there's a Doctor Strange esque universe where he's a well adjusted adult, but it isn't ours.

That leaves Reynolds who doesn't provide anything other than a kicking game. He'd be the closest thing to an NFL style punter/kicker since he'd otherwise be getting in the way.
Yeah, they all suck balls or are too old. :takdir:

And yet, today... all of them would be a better partner to Milford. Go figure...

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
You have absolutely, without a doubt, lost the plot.
Yeah, probably...

People compare the players, and go: "Hunt is a much better player", which he is.
Problem is that what those lesser players are better at than Hunt, is what we lack, and need.

The day Hunt enables the Broncos to keep possession for multiple sets, keeps the opposition having to start their sets from deep in their own half, and actually kicks a short or cross kick accurately, is the day I stop mentioning this.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Yeah, probably...

People compare the players, and go: "Hunt is a much better player", which he is.
Problem is that what those lesser players are better at than Hunt, is what we lack, and need.

The day Hunt enables the Broncos to keep possession for multiple sets, keeps the opposition having to start their sets from deep in their own half, and actually kicks a short or cross kick accurately, is the day I stop mentioning this.

How many players do this consistently? Only Thurston and Cronk.

Hunt can do both of those things you mention just not consistently.

Would be really interested to see how he went with these thing when behind a dominant forward pack...

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
How many players do this consistently? Only Thurston and Cronk.

Hunt can do both of those things you mention just not consistently.

Would be really interested to see how he went with these thing when behind a dominant forward pack...
See, that's where I disagree... in my opinion, he can't.

We may not have a dominant forward pack, but we have definitely been in the last 20 on the 5th tackle many times. And other than (great) running, Hunt's decisions and execution in the above aspects, is abysmal.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Does anyone believe milf is actually ready to be the primary half to single handedly lead the attack?

He is expected to sign for huge dollars this next deal therefore reducing how much we can reasonably expect to spend on a partner for him. That would basically rule out every other capable primary half that can control the game as well as contribute to the scoreboard.

We would therefore be relying on milf to shoulder the entire weight of the offense and quite quickly become a one man team

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, probably...

You had better have a word to the forward pack then ... tell them to get over the advantage line and make some meters. That way Hunt won't have to kick from inside his own half most of the time.

While you're at it, see if they would be so kind as to give us some quick play the balls (especially on the last) so maybe we could play off the front good, instead of the back.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Does anyone believe milf is actually ready to be the primary half to single handedly lead the attack?

He is expected to sign for huge dollars this next deal therefore reducing how much we can reasonably expect to spend on a partner for him. That would basically rule out every other capable primary half that can control the game as well as contribute to the scoreboard.

We would therefore be relying on milf to shoulder the entire weight of the offense and quite quickly become a one man team

Nope and I don't think he will be ready for a couple of years either

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
You had better have a word to the forward pack then ... tell them to get over the advantage line and make some meters. That way Hunt won't have to kick from inside his own half most of the time.

While you're at it, see if they would be so kind as to give us some quick play the balls (especially on the last) so maybe we could play off the front good, instead of the back.

And tell the chasers to actually chase hard..

How does that saying go? Your kick is only as good as your chase?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
And tell the chasers to actually chase hard..

How does that saying go? Your kick is only as good as your chase?
This ... the one time I actually saw our chases chase hard, the defender was forced to play at the footy and Hunt forced a line drop out. Instead of allowing the defender to wait an eternity for the ball to roll dead.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

He won't do that, he already seem to thinks we are in the opposition 20 on the 5th tackle many times and therefore the forwards are doing their job.

we have definitely been in the last 20 on the 5th tackle many times

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • broncos4life
  • The Don
  • Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncs1459
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Tim K
  • sooticus
  • Lostboy
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.