Thaiday unleashes on Kangaroos snub

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
This was bizarre. "Who would have thought this would be the last year I would play for Qld and Aus". Is he kidding? Does he not realize how shit he is now?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
They're not mutually exclusive though.
He definitely deserves the courtesy of a phone call after being a great servant of the green and gold for such a long time.
The Kangaroos also deserve the respect from him, to understand he no longer has a place amongst them.

I do get that, but surely Thaiday should have been smart enough to know he wasn't going to get picked anyway. Does he really want to hear that he is too shit now?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I dunno why Mal needed to call Ferguson either. Just select who you think is right, the rest should understand it's a privilege to represent your country, they don't need explanations.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
I dunno why Mal needed to call Ferguson either. Just select who you think is right, the rest should understand it's a privilege to represent your country, they don't need explanations.

Mal probably called Fergo because unlike Thaiday, Fergo has a chance of playing for Australia again one day and Mal had to tell him what he wanted to see from him going forward.

He had nothing to say to Thaiday because there is nothing Thaiday can do moving forward...

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Can I just add that how unhappy this mindset has made me. I thought Sam would have known that his form is awful and that he was no chance of making rep squads. Rather than hoping that he may go back to being a good player, Sam thinks that his current form is good enough. Are we in for another year of subpar performances and being "hilarious" on the Footy Show?

Thaiday was once my favourite player because I value effort over anything else and he always gave it his all and now that's not the case and it's very sad.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Can I just add that how unhappy this mindset has made me. I thought Sam would have known that his form is awful and that he was no chance of making rep squads. Rather than hoping that he may go back to being a good player, Sam thinks that his current form is good enough. Are we in for another year of subpar performances and being "hilarious" on the Footy Show?

Thaiday was once my favourite player because I value effort over anything else and he always gave it his all and now that's not the case and it's very sad.

Yep, he is delusional if he thinks he has been playing well enough to be in with a chance at representative honours. Blowing up deluxe publicly like this also likely means that even if he somehow does find the dignity and self-respect to turn up for his last season (unlike this one), he won’t be considered again...

The sight of a (former) player like Thaiday going through the motions makes me sad too.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Sam is just past it physically. I don't doubt his effort. Really should be retiring now.

R

Reidy87

U18 Player
Apr 23, 2014
The way Sam has expressed himself, ie on social media imo is not very professional, however I can understand why he'd be upset.

The fact he didn't get a phone call shows just how far off the selectors' radar he truly was. It's almost like his name was never even considered and nobody even thought about him etc... that would be tougher to take than a phone call saying "sorry Sam, your form has been terrible we think you're done" - which, if he was honest with himself, would be unsurprising.

I see Corey Parker has supported him in social media also... IMO Parker's snub last year was worse. He was in better form, had been a stalwart for the Roos and was retiring... surely Parker deserved a send off.

But again I think Thaiday's issue isn't about form, but just how far down his name was, not even a thought 'maybe we should give Sam a courtesy call'.

For the record I don't think Thaiday should be selected for the Roos, but I think dropping him after origin 1 was an overreaction. Surely his experience and aggression could have been used for 20mins off the bench instead of say glasby... anyway that's all in the past now.

Sad for Sam.

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
It's not about getting picked, it's about not getting a phone call and shown the respect for his 10 years of service in that jersey. He deserves more respect than that. I mean **** even ferguson got a call from Mal.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
The last part about the broncos not shattering his fairytale dream would be awkward if bennett has other ideas...

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
The last part about the broncos not shattering his fairytale dream would be awkward if bennett has other ideas...

At this point I'm hoping he is. I like Sam but his attitude of late has frankly stunk.

K

KickHaas

NYC Player
Jul 21, 2017
I get Thaiday's view, he probably does know his form hasn't been the best or up to par for selection, but given how often others have been selected due to incumbency yet had poor form, its easy to get his view. Not getting a direct call from Mal would be disheartening, he probably even a bit salty given Lockyer is a selector and perhaps would have thought Lockyer could have made the call too.

Had he been selected I am sure he would have stepped up but his form really didn't warrant it, but given the form of a couple who did get selected, I'd be a bit salty too.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Mal probably called Fergo because unlike Thaiday, Fergo has a chance of playing for Australia again one day and Mal had to tell him what he wanted to see from him going forward.

He had nothing to say to Thaiday because there is nothing Thaiday can do moving forward...
Yep not selected for Origin, definitely not for Australia.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
I get Thaiday's view, he probably does know his form hasn't been the best or up to par for selection, but given how often others have been selected due to incumbency yet had poor form, its easy to get his view. Not getting a direct call from Mal would be disheartening, he probably even a bit salty given Lockyer is a selector and perhaps would have thought Lockyer could have made the call too.

Had he been selected I am sure he would have stepped up but his form really didn't warrant it, but given the form of a couple who did get selected, I'd be a bit salty too.
He can’t step up.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

Are you struggling to read it? He's not pissed about being dropped, he's pissed about not being given a phone call, and rightly so.

You're going to drop him as your fav player because Mal didn't have the balls to ring him? FMD mate, get a grip.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Did he really need a phone call to know he wasn't in the team? Blind Freddy could tell you he wasn't going to be picked. I don't call people and tell them the sky is blue.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I feel for Thaiday, completely. After the Deadly Choices stuff, of which his efforts can not be overstated, this would seem like a kick in the guts. I'm sure he knew he wasn't going to be picked, but that wasn't the point. He's watching his career slowly come to an end, and it has been a pretty impressive career, and it would seem like he's just being shuffled off quietly to the glue factory.

Bennett's announcement of 2018 being Thaiday's last year as a Bronco may have contributed. I feel that was overblown by the media, and it's not like he found out about that through external parties (Bennett told him direct), but probably added to the cumulative effect of feeling like you're no longer wanted anywhere. Deadly Choices, Queensland, Australia, and the Broncos.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Did he really need a phone call to know he wasn't in the team? Blind Freddy could tell you he wasn't going to be picked. I don't call people and tell them the sky is blue.

Look at it like a normal job. If you were happily working away, even knowing the new younger grads are more eager and keen to prove their worth, you expect a phone call at the least to say you're fired.

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Tim K
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.