Thaiday unleashes on Kangaroos snub

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I have been thinking about this a bit. At first i felt for him,but now i realise the issues we face. Thaiday thinks he deserves a jersey not out form but because he is Thaiday. It reeks of complacency and resting on his lorals because he thinks he deserves it just because.

As has now been stated numerous times, that isn't the point of what he wrote at all.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I dont get how anyone can think Sam did anything wrong. He has played 32 times for his country, i think the least Mal should have done was thank him for his service and let him know that he was being dropped because his form isnt good enough. Its called common courtesy. The lack of respect shown to him is astounding really. Just because he isnt the player he once was doesn't mean he should be shown a lack of respect. Poor show from Meninga, but fair play to him for actually apologising for it as well. People do make mistakes.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I'm hoping Sam shows some fight next year and plays the house down ala Michael Hancock when WB said he wouldn't be resigning him.

If Sam honestly feels he has 2-3 more years in him then he needs to get fit and prove it.
We'll see early next season how much fight he has in him. He has a full off season with no footy and no excuses for not turning up fresh and in reasonable condition.
He could be a match winner off the bench.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Has Thaiday ever traveled to Tonga or Samoa?

That would make him eligible to play for them.

badyon

badyon

QCup Player
Feb 8, 2014
It's a tough one. Mal shouldn't be expected to call every club bench player in the NRL that they didn't get an invite to the end of year big dance. But as an incumbent Sammy has a right to be in the communication loop.

Personally I think Sam is hugely over rating himself if he thought he was remotely in with a show for the world cup.

It goes without saying he wasn't, his sense of entitlement that there was a need to state the obvious doesn't bode well for broncs next year.

Club already has a few entitled players already. Our number 6, is a good case.

Take a spoonful of concrete for brekky boys if you want to match Storm next year.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
It's a tough one. Mal shouldn't be expected to call every club bench player in the NRL that they didn't get an invite to the end of year big dance. But as an incumbent Sammy has a right to be in the communication loop.

Personally I think Sam is hugely over rating himself if he thought he was remotely in with a show for the world cup.

It goes without saying he wasn't, his sense of entitlement that there was a need to state the obvious doesn't bode well for broncs next year.

Club already has a few entitled players already. Our number 6, is a good case.

Take a spoonful of concrete for brekky boys if you want to match Storm next year.

Yeah, agreed. I think some of these players are too entitled. It's not about you, it's about representing the country. If Thaiday wants respect shown to him, he should show respect to the jerseys too, and stop playing like a complete numpty. It feels like he was only getting picked the last however many years because he's a funny guy, not because he's the best option (there were over a dozen better options).

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Why shouldn't Thaiday be upset about missing out?

He was selected for the Test match and he was the incumbent. Mal has a tendency to show loyalty regardless of form because he knows those players do the job and let's face it a couple of the selections made were because of the job they did in the past.

A lot of people in the Rugby League community have a very different opinion of Thaiday than what we do on here.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
If Thaiday wants respect shown to him, he should show respect to the jerseys too, and stop playing like a complete numpty.

When he has not shown respect to the Australian jersey?

He always did the job asked of him.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Yeah I think it sucks for him and he should've got a call, but I doubt every player who gets dropped gets a call.

The realization your career is almost up probably hurts him more than the lack of phonecall, like someone said, deadly choices, qld, australia, and confirmation of your current contract being your last with your club - that's quite a lot to digest.

Agreed...not every player.

But someone who has been a fixture of the squad for a decade of football?

.....he deserved a call, from someone....before the news got hold of it.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Are you struggling to read it? He's not pissed about being dropped, he's pissed about not being given a phone call, and rightly so.

You're going to drop him as your fav player because Mal didn't have the balls to ring him? FMD mate, get a grip.

What a random response.

First of all you ask me if I'm struggling to read it when it seems you didn't read all of my post. I never said I'm dropping him as my favourite player because of this situation. He was dropped long ago after many half assed performances.

Secondly, he is pissed at being dropped. Thaiday saying "Who would have thought this would be the last year I would play for Queensland and Australia" validates that.

Z

ZeBigLebowski

NYC Player
Mar 29, 2015
You missed the point of his rant.
No I didn't,who cares about respect they are entertainers first, athletes second, obviously he thought he would have been selected and as a consideration he thought he deserved a call.... Plenty of guys who have put in service don't get calls what makes this pre-Madonna so special.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
No I didn't,who cares about respect they are entertainers first, athletes second, obviously he thought he would have been selected and as a consideration he thought he deserved a call.... Plenty of guys who have put in service don't get calls what makes this pre-Madonna so special.

He thought he deserved a call because of all the years of service for the jersey. He was the incumbent, it was his position to lose.

Let me put it this way, if you were being replaced in your job after years of service, would you want to be notified?

I sure as shit would.

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
He thought he deserved a call because of all the years of service for the jersey. He was the incumbent, it was his position to lose.

Let me put it this way, if you were being replaced in your job after years of service, would you want to be notified?

I sure as shit would.

I know i would as well.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
His job is with the Broncos, the Australian team is where they supposedly pick the best of the best.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Pre-Madonna? Exactly how old is Sam?

Active Now

• Browny
  • bazza
  • kat00
  • Huge
  • Alec
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.