MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Surely the board, particularly blokes like Locky, would know if a guy like Maguire, Walters, Hasler or whoever is up to the task or not! Why **** around with these airy fairy psychosemetric tests? **** me, someone like Dean Pay or Sticky could pass the test with flying colors but it wouldnt mean they are the right man to coach the broncos.

Maybe its just so it can be seen the board is following 'due process' or something.

Why? Locky is a football player, we have no reason to give him any credit in interviewing and hiring a coach based on what we know about the man.

If it helps them get the right man for our club, why are you so against it mate?

Surely the board, particularly blokes like Locky, would know if a guy like Maguire, Walters, Hasler or whoever is up to the task or not! Why **** around with these airy fairy psychosemetric tests? **** me, someone like Dean Pay or Sticky could pass the test with flying colors but it wouldnt mean they are the right man to coach the broncos.

Maybe its just so it can be seen the board is following 'due process' or something.

What would you prefer? The board just throws darts at a dartboard?

How would Locky ‘know’ that someone like Maguire or Hasler who he probably only knows in passing if he knows them personally at all, is up to the job of head coach?

Can any of you guys please explain to me what is the relevance of having each of the 4 applicants go through psychometric testing as part of the interview process? Look, I know that these types of tests are important for your everyday job - hell I have been through a number of them over the years myself when applying for various roles. I just don't get the point of having this type of test for a bloody football coach?!

Sure there is probably some value in it in terms of trying to determine how each applicant may perform under pressure and that sort of thing. I just thought for a club like the Broncos it would be a matter of the board knowing who they wanted and going out and getting them! Whether that be Maguire, Seibold or whoever.

I guess they tried that with Bellyache and it failed, so they have resorted to a stock standard interview process now. I dunno I just feel that psychometric testing is somewhat irrelevant for a head NRL coach for a club as big as ours.
Which personality was tested though?

Why? Locky is a football player, we have no reason to give him any credit in interviewing and hiring a coach based on what we know about the man.

If it helps them get the right man for our club, why are you so against it mate?

Not that I'm against it as such mate, I just imagined for a club like ours we would just 'go out and get our man' so to speak. I mean I wonder if Henjak and Hook went through, and did well in this testing process? If so, look how that turned out.

Not that I know 4/5s of a **** about coaching or appointing a NRL coach mind you hah.

I do get the feeling that if Seibold turns us down they will appoint JD. Still pinning my hopes on Maguire though as I think he will be a breath of fresh air around the joint.

Not that I'm against it as such mate, I just imagined for a club like ours we would just 'go out and get our man' so to speak. I mean I wonder if Henjak and Hook went through, and did well in this testing process? If so, look how that turned out.

Not that I know 4/5s of a **** about coaching or appointing a NRL coach mind you hah.

I do get the feeling that if Seibold turns us down they will appoint JD. Still pinning my hopes on Maguire though as I think he will be a breath of fresh air around the joint.

We went out and got our man twice. And both times he re-signed with Melbourne. Given what happened last time the plan failed, I'm glad they're trying something different. We don't need another Ivan situation.

Well regardless of the process, if the final interview with JD is taking place tomorrow, surely we will know who gets the gig within the next few days or so. You cant keep a secret in the NRL for too long. Plus Souths have said they want an answer from Siebold by the end of this week so theres that too.

Last edited:
Well regardless of the process, if the final interview with JD is taking place tomorrow, surely we will know who gets the gig within the next few days or so. You cant keep a secret in the NRL for too long. Plus Souths have said they want an answer from Siebold by the end of this week so theres that too.

I'm sure if their coach said "Git Fecked" there wouldn't be much they could do. Except maybe buy Madge.

I'm sure if their coach said "Git Fecked" there wouldn't be much they could do. Except maybe buy Madge.

But the thing is, you simply cannot have a situation where Siebold coaches Souths for 2019 then pisses off, WB coaches us for 2019 then leaves and Cleary coaches the Tiges for another year or two then he buggers off as well. There just has to be mass changes in the coaching ranks between now and the end of this year surely?!

I'll say it again, Wayne will not be here next year I'm certain of it.

Last edited:
There are no excuses next year.

We've got the side needed to win a premiership, it's going to come down to how badly the players want it.

There are some concerns. I don't think we have the gameplan that suits our strengths and I don't like the way we go about the defensive side of things. But we'll see what happens.

Well....there could be excuses. What happens if half our starting players get injured and end up sitting on the sideline for the majority of the season?

I think FIH was going to apply for the job, but fears the psychometric testing will be a barrier :)

But the thing is, you simply cannot have a situation where Siebold coaches Souths for 2019 then pisses off, WB coaches us for 2019 then leaves and Cleary coaches the Tiges for another year or two then he buggers off as well. There just has to be mass changes in the coaching ranks between now and the end of this year surely?!

Wow, that's a big call FIH

Will be interesting to see how at plays out

Can any of you guys please explain to me what is the relevance of having each of the 4 applicants go through psychometric testing as part of the interview process? Look, I know that these types of tests are important for your everyday job - hell I have been through a number of them over the years myself when applying for various roles. I just don't get the point of having this type of test for a bloody football coach?!

Sure there is probably some value in it in terms of trying to determine how each applicant may perform under pressure and that sort of thing. I just thought for a club like the Broncos it would be a matter of the board knowing who they wanted and going out and getting them! Whether that be Maguire, Seibold or whoever.

I guess they tried that with Bellyache and it failed, so they have resorted to a stock standard interview process now. I dunno I just feel that psychometric testing is somewhat irrelevant for a head NRL coach for a club as big as ours.
A fair chunk of being an NRL coach is being a good man manager so getting an understanding of their personality and how they interact, lead and work with others is probably pretty important when concerning the head coach.

Look at Neil Henry the general consensus is that he's pretty switched on technically, but he's been punted multiple times for losing the dressing room.

Madge apparently lost the dressing room last time out I guess having them undergo the testing could identity the type of leader they will be.

That's just your smacked-up Asianish alter-ego coming out. Everything will be fiiiiine.

A fair chunk of being an NRL coach is being a good man manager so getting an understanding of their personality and how they interact, lead and work with others is probably pretty important when concerning the head coach.

Look at Neil Henry the general consensus is that he's pretty switched on technically, but he's been punted multiple times for losing the dressing room.

Madge apparently lost the dressing room last time out I guess having them undergo the testing could identity the type of leader they will be.

That's a pretty fair summary mate and can see that benefit in relation to man-management. But I just would have thought that the NRL community being pretty small in terms of most people knowing each other in some form or another, particularly regarding the known attributes of a small pool of coaching candidates, that the board would know who/what they were looking for as our next coach.

Anyway, I am starting to sound like a broken record I'm sure so will leave it at that. I just wish it would hurry up and be sorted so we can get on with 2019 and beyond.

Upload 2018 10 17 15 34 36

Active Now

• Fozz
  • BRC088
  • HarryAllan7
  • Broncosarethebest
  • NSW stables
  • Wendall Taylor
  • broncoscope
  • Fatboy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wolfie
  • jd87
  • abashii
  • rj9
  • Midean
  • kiwibronco
  • Painin the Haas
  • Xzei
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.