MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Yup, it's out of Seibold and JD without a shadow of a doubt. Souths/Shane Richardson want an answer from him by Tuesday at the latest I believe so it will all come to a head over the next few days. JD is in with a real shot at this believe you me and is firming the longer Siebold deliberates/possibly decides to stay at Redfern. He is still even money to come here though.

It's not going to be resolved that quickly, Seibold is in the UK on a Souths' improvement mission. Which in itself could be telling, would you be over there if you were leaving?

It's not going to be resolved that quickly, Seibold is in the UK on a Souths' improvement mission. Which in itself could be telling, would you be over there if you were leaving?

lol yes absolutely. You know just how much money it costs to go to the UK when you're paying from your own pocket? Especially to be able to come home and put the course on your coaching resume.

Ah ok mate, yeah good point. Seibold does appear to be pretty relaxed about the whole thing doesn't he and not in any rush to make a decision. I really do get the feeling he is going to stay at Souths. I think he feels he has unfinished business there and will he reluctant to leave after just 2 seasons.

If Seibold does turn us down, that means we have been rejected by him, Bellamy, and possibly even Green depending on who you believe regarding if an offer was made to him earlier this year. **** me, years ago coaches would have been falling over themselves wanting to coach us.

I also notice/read Hodges has come out today and said Kevvie is the man for the job as he will instill a "tougher edge". I'm not too sure about that Hodgo. Methinks he might be trying to position himself for an assistant coach role should Kev do the impossible and do a 'Steven Bradbury'.

Last edited:
Still think it's dumb that we are both not re-signing our current coach who is clearly still an excellent coach, and then going out to sign someone a year early.

What if we win a premiership next season and Seibs gets the wooden spoon?

A little off topic but it is interesting to see what has been happening over at Manchester United recently, and ever since Sir Alex Ferfuson retired really. Current coach Mourinho, who is widely referred to by the name, the Special One, has been copping all sorts of criticism for the way the team is going. He has won league titles all over the place yet can't seem to get Man U firing at all. Before him, they also tried a 'rookie' and he didn't do any better.

I just wonder if we are in for a period of instability/lack of success, regardless of who gets the role? Mr Bennett is indeed a hard act to follow.

A little off topic but it is interesting to see what has been happening over at Manchester United recently, and ever since Sir Alex Ferfuson retired really. Current coach Mourinho, who is widely referred to by the name, the Special One, has been copping all sorts of criticism for the way the team is going. He has won league titles all over the place yet can't seem to get Man U firing at all. Before him, they also tried a 'rookie' and he didn't do any better.

I just wonder if we are in for a period of instability/lack of success, regardless of who gets the role? Mr Bennett is indeed a hard act to follow.
I know it's not as easy as it would seem, but surely a club like the broncos, with the resources and money at its disposal can firm itself for an extended stay in the top 4.
We are not competing with man city or Chelsea, and we will have a list of players few clubs could dream about, let alone field.
I think inexperience and a bit of fragility in key positions got us this year, but a couple of extra wins and we're there.
Now winning a gf might be a different story but you at least need to get in a position to do it, and we have the list, minus only the temperament to do it.
Hopefully a year older, a year wiser for some.

Still think it's dumb that we are both not re-signing our current coach who is clearly still an excellent coach, and then going out to sign someone a year early.

What if we win a premiership next season and Seibs gets the wooden spoon?

Completely agree. It just seems to me that someone made the call that Bennett is to old, whether that be a genuine concern, or as a front because they were concerned/threatened that he had too much ruling influence etc, and went all in on his contract not being renewed. Once that line was drawn in the sand, everything else has had to shoehorn in with that non-negotiable 2020 changeover.

Completely agree. It just seems to me that someone made the call that Bennett is to old, whether that be a genuine concern, or as a front because they were concerned/threatened that he had too much ruling influence etc, and went all in on his contract not being renewed. Once that line was drawn in the sand, everything else has had to shoehorn in with that non-negotiable 2020 changeover.

Maybe it's the fact that the best options are available to take over the ranks in 2020, rather than 2021.

Updated markets lads based on current news/developments/whispers:

Seibold - 2.1 fave but easing. Some believe may be inclined to stick with bunnies based on handsome offer from Souths hierarchy.

JD - 3.1 and continues to firm as a result of work done as current assistant and players vote of confidence in his ability.

Mag - 50.1 drifting alarmingly in market due to concerns over his high intensity coaching and man-management style.

Kev - 1000.1 and quiet street corner tip that he is fallback option should Seibold decline offer. Hierarchy also impressed with SoO showings last year. Still can't have though and a win here would be a complete shock and near impossible surely.

I know it's not as easy as it would seem, but surely a club like the broncos, with the resources and money at its disposal can firm itself for an extended stay in the top 4.
We are not competing with man city or Chelsea, and we will have a list of players few clubs could dream about, let alone field.
I think inexperience and a bit of fragility in key positions got us this year, but a couple of extra wins and we're there.
Now winning a gf might be a different story but you at least need to get in a position to do it, and we have the list, minus only the temperament to do it.
Hopefully a year older, a year wiser for some.

Well the Broncs are competing with the Roosters (Man City) and Chelsea (Rabbits) in terms of on-field success and even finances (somehow). The constant overachievers based on a long-term coach whose glory years are likely on the wane in Arsenal (Storm). Then there is the perennial there or thereabouts teams who occasionally win like Liverpool (Sharks) and even the once were successful but now not side like Newcastle Utd (Sea Eagles). There is even the side that is always mid-table but rarely ever higher like Tottenham (Panthers). Everyone else are basically also rans.

Updated markets lads based on current news/developments/whispers:

Seibold - 2.1 fave but easing. Some believe may be inclined to stick with bunnies based on handsome offer from Souths hierarchy.

JD - 3.1 and continues to firm as a result of work done as current assistant and players vote of confidence in his ability.

Mag - 50.1 drifting alarmingly in market due to concerns over his high intensity coaching and man-management style.

Kev - 1000.1 and quiet street corner tip that he is fallback option should Seibold decline offer. Hierarchy also impressed with SoO showings last year. Still can't have though and a win here would be a complete shock and near impossible surely.

Based on this summary, Kevvie at 1000-1 is pretty enticing given he may well Bradbury his way into the role.

Last edited:
Based on this summary, Kevvie at 1000-1 is pretty enticing given he may well Bradbury his way into the role.

I still stand by my belief Kev is absolutely no chance in hell to be appointed to the role. He does have in his favour though support from the broncos 'old boys' network, his suceess from SoO last year when he was thrown into the role and a belief amongst some that it is 'his time'. Continues to firm and now into 500.1 from 5000.1 a few days ago.

The big drifter is Madge though. I now have him out to 100.1 and am almost ready to put a line through him.

Last edited:
For those saying Seibold will stay with the Bunnies, why would he even bother coming here for an interview if he wasn't interested in taking the Broncos job ? [emoji848]

For those saying Seibold will stay with the Bunnies, why would he even bother coming here for an interview if he wasn't interested in taking the Broncos job ? [emoji848]
Don’t forget souffs are doing up their facilities, you may indeed find that Crowe was keen for seibold to head to brisbane, just to tour our facilities and get some ideas..
Not to mention the $$ he may well suck out of the rabbits by chucking a Bellamy and look as tho he is half keen on the role..

There are a few possible reasons

-Broncs may interview him but still decide to go with someone else
-It increases his value
-Practicing interviews is just a good skill to have, I guess?

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • porouian
  • Big Del
  • Brocko
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.