OPINION who would you pick as the next Broncos number 7?

Who do you think will be Reynolds replacement as our next Halfback?

• Sam Walker

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Lachlan Lam

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Other

Votes: 27 69.2%

• Total voters
Honestly, I have no clue, and that's what scares me.

Sadly I think Madden has "mediocre journeyman" written all over him, Walker would be nice but I don't think the Sombreros will be doing us any favors, and Lachlan Lam SEEMS to be a talent but is largely unproven.

Tom Dearden would also be nice but I think he has more or less thrown whatever loyalty he felt to the Broncos in the trash. So I guess Lachlan Lam? On potential alone? But damn if that isn't anxiety inducing.
Walker and Lam are overrated.

Besides Cleary, all the good halfbacks lately seem to hit their peak in their late 20's, that's why I still have hope for Madden. If he has the drive, with Reynolds coaching him and our other guns around him he could be a decent/great 7.

I thought he played his role well in this game.

He threw 3 nice passes that led to tries in that vid .
Made young Tommy Dearden look bad with one of them . Kid def has potential . I saw some thing back the year before , the day he played against the Broncos and the Tigers won ...

At the moment obviously Madden is the guy as he's on our books already and is getting trained up for the role.
The development of Walsh, Mam and Mozer, Smoothy and Billy somewhat will depend on what is needed from our next 7.

I may be too optimistic here but if we keep Walsh and Mam, Walters stays a reliable role player and Mozer reaches his potential, I don’t think we need anything special at 7.

Not to mention Walsh has both a huge boot and a great short kicking game. Just needs to fine tune it from a tactical perspective. Mam has also shown some great kicking abilities but seems to lack confidence in that area.

Patty plays a first receiver role and does a lot of directing the forwards.

We really don’t need another Reynolds if everyone continues their trajectory. We just need a guy who can slot into the shapes and shovel the ball on.

I may be too optimistic here but if we keep Walsh and Mam, Walters stays a reliable role player and Mozer reaches his potential, I don’t think we need anything special at 7.

Not to mention Walsh has both a huge boot and a great short kicking game. Just needs to fine tune it from a tactical perspective. Mam has also shown some great kicking abilities but seems to lack confidence in that area.

Patty plays a first receiver role and does a lot of directing the forwards.

We really don’t need another Reynolds if everyone continues their trajectory. We just need a guy who can slot into the shapes and shovel the ball on.
Yeah I agree,
When Reynolds arrived he didn't have a 6,9,1 and Patty wasn't where he is now.
When Reynolds hangs up the boots our 1, 6, 9 and 13 will be sorted - pending Mam (highly likely he is staying) they would have 2-3 years playing together. They all know their jobs.

What the discussion is lacking is spine balance. Look at Melbourne Storm. There 7 is unconventional. But they have others within the spine to compensate. If we spend big money on Walsh and Mam, maybe we just need a good game reader. Someone who can settle the troops. Direct the attack to the game plan. Much like a Peter Wallace. Mam, Walsh, a Billy can work as a team to do the other stuff. Take the pressure off number 7.

What the discussion is lacking is spine balance. Look at Melbourne Storm. There 7 is unconventional. But they have others within the spine to compensate. If we spend big money on Walsh and Mam, maybe we just need a good game reader. Someone who can settle the troops. Direct the attack to the game plan. Much like a Peter Wallace. Mam, Walsh, a Billy can work as a team to do the other stuff. Take the pressure off number 7.
In that regard I would say that the hope relies on Walsh to become the primary long kicker in the same way that Locky used to chime in from fullback.

In that regard I would say that the hope relies on Walsh to become the primary long kicker in the same way that Locky used to chime in from fullback.
I believe he can. He has a big boot. He has the luxury of time from a floating fullback role. I'm looking for him to kick to corners. Cut down the time for kick returns. Mam and Billy can ad hoc from within 20m. I believe Walsh will be the dominant play maker.

I believe he can. He has a big boot. He has the luxury of time from a floating fullback role. I'm looking for him to kick to corners. Cut down the time for kick returns. Mam and Billy can ad hoc from within 20m. I believe Walsh will be the dominant play maker.

If the #7 can develop his kicking then they have kickers both sides of the field .
Walsh is a leftie and like a lot of lefties has a looong kick . If anything too long . He kicked the ball dead on several occasions last season . And gave advantage to the opposition .
Billy also became a kicking threat later in the season . I like kicking dummy halves . Every one is onside and there is a few metres advantage gained by not passing back to another kicker .
That`s a lot of threats Bill , Reyno /Jock , Ezra and Walsh much harder to put pressure on if you don`t know who is gonna kick .

I’m excited to see how much Madden wants it. Unlike a lot of other impatient kids, he’s shown a willingness to serve an apprenticeship which is a rare and admirable trait these days.

I also think he’s shown enough to give us confidence he is the man post-Reynolds, at least in the short-term. It’ll be up to him to own it but which halfback wouldn’t want to play behind our forward pack and with our weapons in the back line?

We really just need someone who can kick long, support and make their tackles. The first two, Madden looks pretty good to me, the third one is a concern but he’ll get better once he’s the main man and building combos.

I’m excited to see how much Madden wants it. Unlike a lot of other impatient kids, he’s shown a willingness to serve an apprenticeship which is a rare and admirable trait these days.

I also think he’s shown enough to give us confidence he is the man post-Reynolds, at least in the short-term. It’ll be up to him to own it but which halfback wouldn’t want to play behind our forward pack and with our weapons in the back line?

We really just need someone who can kick long, support and make their tackles. The first two, Madden looks pretty good to me, the third one is a concern but he’ll get better once he’s the main man and building combos.
Haven't formed an opinion on Madden yet, other than he reminds me of Brodie Croft. Both of whom, arrived with strong junior rep honours (Madden: Aus Schoolboys captain; Croft: Junior Kangaroos captain) but failed to wow at grade level.

As a mater of trivia, iIn the 2018 Schoolboys team, Madden played 6, Dearden 7 and Tesi 1. First match against England Colleges set a record (92:0). Madden kicked 10 from 13 goals.

They didn't do so well against England Academy:

If I'm to look further into the future, I haven't seen anything in him that excites me. I expect more from a Broncos halfback than what I've seen so far.

Haven't formed an opinion on Madden yet, other than he reminds me of Brodie Croft. Both of whom, arrived with strong junior rep honours (Madden: Aus Schoolboys captain; Croft: Junior Kangaroos captain) but failed to wow at grade level.

As a mater of trivia, iIn the 2018 Schoolboys team, Madden played 6, Dearden 7 and Tesi 1. First match against England Colleges set a record (92:0). Madden kicked 10 from 13 goals.

If I'm to look further into the future, I haven't seen anything in him that excites me. I expect more from a Broncos halfback than what I've seen so far.

I would be interested to see what Croft could do behind this version of the Broncos, I think he would do well.

Madden has a much better passing game than Croft .
Croft should play #6 as he has good running speed but is not as good at giving his runners opportunities . That highlight reel Santa posted showed Jock giving his supports an advantage that leads to tries . Croft is not that type of player .

Active Now

• The Don
  • KateBroncos1812
  • arieals
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Wolfie
  • Dash
  • Manlyman
  • Mister Wright
  • Rowdy124
  • BroncosAlways
  • mystico
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.