OPINION who would you pick as the next Broncos number 7?

Who do you think will be Reynolds replacement as our next Halfback?

• Sam Walker

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Lachlan Lam

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Other

Votes: 27 69.2%

• Total voters
I know there's plenty of good half talent around, but if Reyno retires after 24 and we aren't able to snag Alfie Johns Cleary 2.0 am I a nutter for suggesting the below as an interim option. (provided Madden doesn't work out)

1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Billy
9. Mozer

Billy has the calm head and organising in him. He grew up playing in the halves and has a decent kicking game. With Mam and Walsh, the 7 doesn't have to be flashy.

I know there's plenty of good half talent around, but if Reyno retires after 24 and we aren't able to snag Alfie Johns Cleary 2.0 am I a nutter for suggesting the below as an interim option. (provided Madden doesn't work out)

1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Billy
9. Mozer

Billy has the calm head and organising in him. He grew up playing in the halves and has a decent kicking game. With Mam and Walsh, the 7 doesn't have to be flashy.

Reyno is in the late stages of negotiating a playing contract for the 2025 season, so the chances of him retiring after '24 are extremely slim

1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Billy
9. Mozer

@simplythebest is all over it.
Not a crazy suggestion!
If all else goes to shit, and Jock shits bed… Billy could be a great stop gap. Can jump into hooker in a pinch should the need arise. Can tackle too.

What games make you so confident?
I have only seen a couple of games of him live, one was a MM game early on. I fully concede this is not based on years of watching him. It is just my opinion. It may well turn out to be completely off the mark (as is often the case).

He looks to have a good skill set for his age, he has time, he has vision, and from what I have seen of him, he is not afraid to go after an opportunity if one presents and he seems to more often than not take the right option. He has the basis of a good kicking game both short and long.

I clearly do not watch as much junior football as you (I don't have the time), so it is an opinion premised on some personal observation, albeit limited.

1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Billy
9. Mozer

@simplythebest is all over it.
Not a crazy suggestion!
If all else goes to shit, and Jock shits bed… Billy could be a great stop gap. Can jump into hooker in a pinch should the need arise. Can tackle too.
Alternatively, we get the best halfback in the competition. Because we're the Brisbane Broncos. And we're worth it.

I have only seen a couple of games of him live, one was a MM game early on. I fully concede this is not based on years of watching him. It is just my opinion. It may well turn out to be completely off the mark (as is often the case).

He looks to have a good skill set for his age, he has time, he has vision, and from what I have seen of him, he is not afraid to go after an opportunity if one presents and he seems to more often than not take the right option. He has the basis of a good kicking game both short and long.

I clearly do not watch as much junior football as you (I don't have the time), so it is an opinion premised on some personal observation, albeit limited.

That's fair enough you just sounded so confident!

I think it's way too early, two Cyril games and six Meninga games in I still can't get a read on him.

First 20 minutes of the Meninga finals this year he was great, then next 60 Dolphins picked him apart and Wynnum crashed out hugely.

Alf finals again I thought he crumbled a bit and City v Country I thought he was quiet, so the three biggest games he's played have made it hard to follow his form.

He had a good Meninga season up till finals and he had a good Alf season up to finals. I was interested that Wynnum picked him as a replacement in the finals in Cup. Not too sure what his role would have been if they'd been able to use him, but they had the confidence for him to sit there.

He's 17 so Wynnum had to get QRL clearance for him to potentially play.

Plan will be for him to play Meninga again, train with the NRL boys, which he does on school holidays anyway at the moment.

Colts and hopefully some Cup. Wynnum have Rogers and Madden so he might not even play Cup this year.

I think it's way too early, two Cyril games and six Meninga games in I still can't get a read on him.

First 20 minutes of the Meninga finals this year he was great, then next 60 Dolphins picked him apart and Wynnum crashed out hugely.

Alf finals again I thought he crumbled a bit and City v Country I thought he was quiet, so the three biggest games he's played have made it hard to follow his form.

He had a good Meninga season up till finals and he had a good Alf season up to finals. I was interested that Wynnum picked him as a replacement in the finals in Cup. Not too sure what his role would have been if they'd been able to use him, but they had the confidence for him to sit there.

Plan will be for him to play Meninga again, train with the NRL boys, which he does on school holidays anyway at the moment.

Colts and hopefully some Cup. Wynnum have Rogers and Madden so he might not even play Cup this year.

Could he be shifted to one of the other feeder clubs? That said, you'd think Madden will go a few games replacing Reyno, so there will be opportunities to nurture him anyway and have him shifting between Meninga and Cup (when Madden is playing NRL) would you think?

Could he be shifted to one of the other feeder clubs? That said, you'd think Madden will go a few games replacing Reyno, so there will be opportunities to nurture him anyway and have him shifting between Meninga and Cup (when Madden is playing NRL) would you think?

He won't have to shift between Meninga and Cup, Meninga is finished by May. It's just that May to September period with no Colts he's going to have nowhere to go.

I think it has been set up for madden to be reynolds successor, and it makes sense as he will have done a few seasons apprenticeship under him by then.

But another option with nrl experience and a decent boot is Sexton.

He won't have to shift between Meninga and Cup, Meninga is finished by May. It's just that May to September period with no Colts he's going to have nowhere to go.

I think it has been set up for madden to be reynolds successor, and it makes sense as he will have done a few seasons apprenticeship under him by then.

But another option with nrl experience and a decent boot is Sexton.
Our dedicated hooker rotation policy will snooker us from carrying a rising half on the bench, who could otherwise be injected to bring that last ten minute spark or rest Reyno.

It might be handy to bring Madden off the bench late in the second half. But Mozer is next in line for that role, and a tired Billy will be our backup half. There will be no spark.

Madden won't get any airtime unless Reynolds or Mam are injured or in Origin.

Our dedicated hooker rotation policy will snooker us from carrying a rising half on the bench, who could otherwise be injected to bring that last ten minute spark or rest Reyno.

It might be handy to bring Madden off the bench late in the second half. But Mozer is next in line for that role, and a tired Billy will be our backup half. There will be no spark.

Madden won't get any airtime unless Reynolds or Mam are injured or in Origin.
I think in todays game it looks like it might be becoming more essential to have a 2 hooker rotation. You could probably do with just one hooker but I’m not sure if said hooker will be as effective if they are having to play the full 80.

Unless they play a tackle bot role like Mitch Kenny.

I think in todays game it looks like it might be becoming more essential to have a 2 hooker rotation. You could probably do with just one hooker but I’m not sure if said hooker will be as effective if they are having to play the full 80.

Unless they play a tackle bot role like Mitch Kenny.
I don't think we can get by with just one hooker. Billy is pretty good for about 30 minutes, and after that he's not that flash off the bench. No one else has ever got the chance to start, so can't comment on reversing the order. On paper, Billy would seem to be the perfect 14, but he's too one dimensional in the halves for my taste. I think it's fair to assume that Billy is hard wired into 9 until further notice. Mozer will replace Smoothy at some point.

I don't think we can get by with just one hooker. Billy is pretty good for about 30 minutes, and after that he's not that flash off the bench. No one else has ever got the chance to start, so can't comment on reversing the order. On paper, Billy would seem to be the perfect 14, but he's too one dimensional in the halves for my taste. I think it's fair to assume that Billy is hard wired into 9 until further notice. Mozer will replace Smoothy at some point.
Yeah Billy would be a great 14

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Gaz
  • Maddy
  • Battler
  • blacknwhite
  • broncoscope
  • Big Del
  • Sproj
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Broncorob
  • bert_lifts
  • barker
  • Bucking Beads
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Justwin
  • maddo
  • Dash
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.