2019 Broncos Line-up

Is anything actually official on McGuire yet? Wonder what the hold up is because the articles from 4 days ago made it sound like it's already been done.

One thing Mago has that our other forwards don't have is a very fast play the ball. He has a tendency to stand in tackles and play the ball whilst fully upright almost simultaneous with the 'held' call.

Is anything actually official on McGuire yet? Wonder what the hold up is because the articles from 4 days ago made it sound like it's already been done.

I think it is anything but official. He is in Fiji so hasn’t officially put pen to paper but has agreed.

Sam Kasiano anyone? He seems to be unwanted at the moment (for decent reasons) but we are in need of experienced props and would be able to get him on the cheap.

Sam Kasiano anyone? He seems to be unwanted at the moment (for decent reasons) but we are in need of experienced props and would be able to get him on the cheap.

I'd back Seibold to get the best of him.. I wouldn't want him though personally. Has the game maturity of one of our young forwards.

Now that McGuire is gone, I'd like to see a bold move with Carrigan to start at lock. We will have a big prop rotation. It could be good to have someone bigger than Macca as our workhorse in the middle. I'd be tempted to move Lodge to the bench too, he was good there and I'd rather see Ofahengaue start.

8. Joe Ofahengaue
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Tevita Pangai Junior
11. Jaydn Su'a
12. Matt Gillett
13. Patrick Carrigan
17. Matthew Lodge

Looks good to me

I'd back Seibold to get the best of him.. I wouldn't want him though personally. Has the game maturity of one of our young forwards.

Now that McGuire is gone, I'd like to see a bold move with Carrigan to start at lock. We will have a big prop rotation. It could be good to have someone bigger than Macca as our workhorse in the middle. I'd be tempted to move Lodge to the bench too, he was good there and I'd rather see Ofahengaue start.

8. Joe Ofahengaue
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Tevita Pangai Junior
11. Jaydn Su'a
12. Matt Gillett
13. Patrick Carrigan
17. Matthew Lodge

Looks good to me

KNik will be the hb (at least to start the season anyway). I wouldn’t be surprised to see Turbin in that spot or perhaps even Bird.

I wonder if Bird would consider switching to hooker full-time. He wants to be more involved and there isn’t a more involved position in the game.

KNik will be the hb (at least to start the season anyway). I wouldn’t be surprised to see Turbin in that spot or perhaps even Bird.

I wonder if Bird would consider switching to hooker full-time. He wants to be more involved and there isn’t a more involved position in the game.

I just think we need a classical 7. The main thing missing

Hold onto your hats boys!

Damien Cook in demand with four clubs chasing star hooker’s signature.
NOVEMBER 18, 2018

Brisbane are believed to have made a bold late play to sign South Sydney hooker Damien Cook for the 2020 season. Cook's manager Mario Tartak told The Daily Telegraph that Cook is now considering lucrative offers from four clubs, including Souths.

Well-placed sources believe Cook could be persuaded to follow coach Anthony Seibold to Brisbane in 2020 when his Rabbitohs deal expires. Cook holds Seibold in high regard after the rookie NRL coach guided the 27-year-old from irregular first-grade starter to representative star in their first season together. He enjoyed a breakout year under Seibold, holding off the challenge of Robbie Farah for the hooking spot before earning NSW State of Origin and Australian honours.

Rival clubs, though, won't go away, given Cook is free to sign a contract for the 2020 season and beyond. Tartak said two of three rival clubs chasing Cook were based in Sydney, but would not confirm the Broncos as the other potential suitors. There has been a club that has come in late; Tartak said. I would be reluctant (to name the club) because we basically agreed not to say anything. We're down to four clubs and that includes Souths. Two are in Sydney, one out of Sydney. They are all strong offers.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...6620c59f30003a4e3b28240f225&memtype=anonymous

NOVEMBER 18, 2018

Brisbane are believed to have made a bold late play to sign South Sydney hooker Damien Cook for the 2020 season. Cook's manager Mario Tartak told The Daily Telegraph that Cook is now considering lucrative offers from four clubs, including Souths.

Well-placed sources believe Cook could be persuaded to follow coach Anthony Seibold to Brisbane in 2020 when his Rabbitohs deal expires. Cook holds Seibold in high regard after the rookie NRL coach guided the 27-year-old from irregular first-grade starter to representative star in their first season together. He enjoyed a breakout year under Seibold, holding off the challenge of Robbie Farah for the hooking spot before earning NSW State of Origin and Australian honours.

Rival clubs, though, won't go away, given Cook is free to sign a contract for the 2020 season and beyond. Tartak said two of three rival clubs chasing Cook were based in Sydney, but would not confirm the Broncos as the other potential suitors. There has been a club that has come in late; Tartak said. I would be reluctant (to name the club) because we basically agreed not to say anything. We're down to four clubs and that includes Souths. Two are in Sydney, one out of Sydney. They are all strong offers.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...6620c59f30003a4e3b28240f225&memtype=anonymous

Imagine if Macca suddenly leaves..... climaxxx

Imagine if Macca suddenly leaves..... climaxxx

Yeah, I really appreciate everything Macca has done for the club but I really would t miss him. Especially if we got Cook, or another serviceable hooker. I really am not against putting a broom through our club and starting fresh.

Moose, Kahu, Macca, Boyd. I’m happy for them to all go. I was glad to see the back of thaiday and almost wish he left earlier.

Gillo can stay forever. My favourite player at the broncos, easily. Oates can stay if he’s happy to play wing. Glenn is probably surplus but I like his attitude and what he brings for his price tag so I’m happy either way with Glenn.

Which one did we sign?

Him:
0CBB7D1F 5417 40E0 A692 F55795C26331

Or him:
850961F4 9917 4EEF 88A2 2628200E46D5

Last edited:

NOVEMBER 18, 2018

over-rated ...

but, likely a media beat-up anyway as there is no way we have the reported 800k he is demanding

over-rated ...

but, likely a media beat-up anyway as there is no way we have the reported 800k he is demanding

Well, Thaiday and Korbin are both gone. Then if it eventuates that Glenn, Moose, and Kahu go, surely we’d have some change left over even after re-signings. Then on top of that you would imagine Cook wouldn’t come here unless Macca was gone too. So there’s an argument that there would be quite a bit of money sitting around for Cook.

But yeah, I share your doubts that a 28 year old hooker who relies on speed isn’t a great long term investment. Especially when it took until he turned 27 to lock down a full time first grade spot, and even though he had an amazing season he fell away during the finals. So I tend to agree that spending 800,000$ on him is a risk. Especially if you consider the parallels between Cook and Granville’s career trajectories. Though that being said if they were on the same amount, I would chose Cook over Macca quite comfortably.

Well, Thaiday and Korbin are both gone. Then if it eventuates that Glenn, Moose, and Kahu go, surely we’d have some change left over even after re-signings. Then on top of that you would imagine Cook wouldn’t come here unless Macca was gone too. So there’s an argument that there would be quite a bit of money sitting around for Cook.

if all 5 are gone, then straight away 500k minimum of their cash would have to go on replacements ... and Moose is the only one of them that is likely on decent coin ...

factor in a massive upgrade for Haas an upgrade will be due for Fifita thios year some time as he is off contract and possible upgrades (assuming the sign for more than a season) for Lodge, TPJ and Oates and any money we saved from those 5 is gone

if all 5 are gone, then straight away 500k minimum of their cash would have to go on replacements ... and Moose is the only one of them that is likely on decent coin ...

factor in a massive upgrade for Haas an upgrade will be due for Fifita thios year some time as he is off contract and possible upgrades (assuming the sign for more than a season) for Lodge, TPJ and Oates and any money we saved from those 5 is gone

Thaiday was an origin and international rep.

Moose was a current origin and international rep.

Kahu was a fringe international rep.

Glenn was a fringe international rep and occasional stand in club captain.

Macca made his origin debut this year after years of being considered the heir to smith (he blew it but that was the thinking).

Korbin wouldn’t have been on much but not min wage either.

Not that I think any of these guys were on giant contracts but there is a thousand games experience there, and each of these guys have been around long enough to get an upgrade or two. There would have to be a million left over even considering brining in min wage replacements. Their starting team replacements are already accounted for, though like you said, minus a big chunk for upgrades.

What remains may be low like you’re suggesting or a lot higher. We don’t know. Add Brisbane’s TPA’s into the equation and I don’t think it’s that implausible that we could afford Cook. In fact if we can’t afford Cook after losing 5 of our core players (and Korbin) in one off season then somebody fucked up our cap management even worse than I thought.

Last edited:
Thaiday was an origin and international rep.

Moose was a current origin and international rep.

Kahu was a fringe international rep.

Glenn was a fringe international rep and occasional stand in club captain.

Macca made his origin debut this year after years of being considered the heir to smith (he blew it but that was the thinking).

Korbin wouldn’t have been on much but not min wage either.

Not that I think any of these guys were on giant contracts but there is a thousand games experience there, and each of these guys have been around long enough to get an upgrade or two. There would have to be a million left over even considering brining in min wage replacements. Their starting team replacements are already accounted for, though like you said, minus a big chunk for upgrades.

What remains may be low like you’re suggesting or a lot higher. We don’t know. Add Brisbane’s TPA’s into the equation and I don’t think it’s that implausible that we could afford Cook. In fact if we can’t afford Cook after losing 5 of our core players (and Korbin) in one off season then somebody fucked up our cap management even worse than I thought.

Thaiday was on a contract signed before the significant increase to the salary cap

it has been reported that Glenn, Kahu and Macca are on modest contracts (and given the propensity of the media to inflate any contracts of players we sign, then it is probably a lot less than "modest")

TPA's would depend on how good or lazy his manager is as we can't be a part of them (if we are, they count towards the cap)

as i said Moose was the only one of the players mention likely to be on a decent size contract ... Hell, the reported contract we just signed Haas to is something like 6 times his 2018 contract, so that probably absorbs most of McGuires money

Active Now

• sooticus
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.