2024 NRL Player Movements & Rumours

they already do tell players what they can earn ... there is a salary cap that effectively restricts what players can earn.

so just to be clear are you saying that you would be perfectly fine with a club, any club signing the likes if Reece Walsh, Nathan Cleary, Payne Haas, Cam Munster etc for the minimum wage of 120k a year (assuming said club could convince them to accept that figure)
Yep, I would be fine with it because I don't believe somebody should be told what they can and can't earn. If a player can get more than they are worth, why shouldn't they be able to take less if that's their choice. It's not going to happen, but I think it should be allowed to happen.

Yep, I would be fine with it because I don't believe somebody should be told what they can and can't earn. If a player can get more than they are worth, why shouldn't they be able to take less if that's their choice. It's not going to happen, but I think it should be allowed to happen.
That’s crazy man, like I don’t know if you are just trying to make a point but this is a competition with a salary cap. I have no issues with players taking slight unders to play where they want but if you get rid of notional values you might as well just get rid of the cap. The rich clubs would just have super teams (even more than they do now) with stars playing for minimum and being topped up elsewhere.

That’s crazy man, like I don’t know if you are just trying to make a point but this is a competition with a salary cap. I have no issues with players taking slight unders to play where they want but if you get rid of notional values you might as well just get rid of the cap. The rich clubs would just have super teams (even more than they do now) with stars playing for minimum and being topped up elsewhere.

Not trying to make a point, I just don't think it's fair to dictate to a person how much they can or cant earn. Its personal choice. It's a hypothetical question though so I gave my answer. No top player is playing for minimum wage.

It's not like clubs aren't getting around the cap anyway. We have been doing it for decades.

Not trying to make a point, I just don't think it's fair to dictate to a person how much they can or cant earn. Its personal choice. It's a hypothetical question though so I gave my answer. No top player is playing for minimum wage.

It's not like clubs aren't getting around the cap anyway. We have been doing it for decades.
Of course the competition can dictate that, it’s how a salary cap works and it is part of the game they sign up to. If they hate money they can give some to charity but the salary cap loses all power to spread out talent if you can’t set a minimum for a player.

The salary cap is a joke as it is as it was designed to be used in conjunction with a draft but it needs to maintain some meaning and control.

salary cap also hamstrings well run clubs,there should be KPI's for all clubs to meet growth wise (looking at you Sydney) or face losing your license,i think you would naturally see a more realistic number of sydney clubs then and we could look at moving into new areas to spread the game

Of course the competition can dictate that, it’s how a salary cap works and it is part of the game they sign up to. If they hate money they can give some to charity but the salary cap loses all power to spread out talent if you can’t set a minimum for a player.

The salary cap is a joke as it is as it was designed to be used in conjunction with a draft but it needs to maintain some meaning and control.

I think what you are saying while it's
right is just overcomplicating a simple question really. I was asked basically if I have an issue with a player choosing to earn a low figure and I'm fine with it. We don't live in a dictatorship, you should be free to earn as little or as much as you like.

The salary cap argument is an entirely different thing. If the NRL can dictate a player is being paid too little, they should also dictate if a player is overpaid as well if they want a true salary cap balance.

I can see why they brought in the notional value ... but like everything else they haven't implemented it well. it lacks transparency and consistency. there should be some publicly know formula. probably based on number of NRL games played. (then add a bit on top for rep games etc).

although it won't happen, let's just say for arguments sake, that Reece Walsh wanted to go to the Storm, and was prepared to go there for a minimal wage (as that's all the cap space the Storm had available). should the NRL allow it to happen?

It’s not new. In 1990 when Broncos offered Wally a paltry amount and he contemplated taking it out of spite Brisbane were told he will be valued as $100k no matter what he accepts.

Bevan French has extended four seasons with Wigan - I'm a little surprised no NRL club jumped at him, he would be fantastic for a few clubs like St George, Cows post-Townsend, Titans, even Roosters.

Francis Molo has extended two seasons at the Dragons.

Sam McIntyre has extended two years at the Cows.

Lewis Dodd has extended with St Helens.

Bevan French has extended four seasons with Wigan - I'm a little surprised no NRL club jumped at him, he would be fantastic for a few clubs like St George, Cows post-Townsend, Titans, even Roosters.

Francis Molo has extended two seasons at the Dragons.

Sam McIntyre has extended two years at the Cows.

Lewis Dodd has extended with St Helens.
To play where? The ESL is really no benchmark for making it into the NRL. **** Brodie Croft was the man of steel over there and over here was a second rate halfback. There is a reason he is in the ESL and it isn't because they pay him way more than the NRL could afford.

To play where? The ESL is really no benchmark for making it into the NRL. **** Brodie Croft was the man of steel over there and over here was a second rate halfback. There is a reason he is in the ESL and it isn't because they pay him way more than the NRL could afford.

Five-eighth and I hear this excuse all the time and it might well be true but he is a Mam-like 6, his speed matches modern day league more than when he left and he left at a time when his best position wasn't really known. Now he is an ESL premiership winning 6.

And given how similar Newcastle tries to make their game plan to ours, he'd be great there too.

Hearing pearce talk about the difference between esl and the nrl should tip you off to the gulf in quality he mentioned as a half you just dont get the inside D pressure you get in the nrl why alot of our halves that cant quite cut it alot of the time go over and succeed in his opinion

Hearing pearce talk about the difference between esl and the nrl should tip you off to the gulf in quality he mentioned as a half you just dont get the inside D pressure you get in the nrl why alot of our halves that cant quite cut it alot of the time go over and succeed in his opinion

No !
The ESL fans tell me it just as high intensity maybe even more .

But the NRL players who go there say it`s a step down . Who you gonna believe ?

interesting if it gets done 'cough' nominal value' cough'

Nominal value isn't soley based on his last contract figure ... If it was Milford would be on a million a year at the Phins.

Let's for a second say that the Eels off for Lomax is 200k short (the top figure reported) of his reported 850k salary ... That would mean the Eels offer would be 650k a year.

That offer is probably still overs for Lomax.

Nominal value isn't soley based on his last contract figure ... If it was Milford would be on a million a year at the Phins.

Let's for a second say that the Eels off for Lomax is 200k short (the top figure reported) of his reported 850k salary ... That would mean the Eels offer would be 650k a year.

That offer is probably still overs for Lomax.
keep moving those goal posts

keep moving those goal posts

I'm not moving the goal posts.

You're basing all your whinging off a media report from Badel and his mates saying what a nominal value would be for TPJ ... But the NRL never actually determined a nominal value for him, because no club submitted a contract for them to review.

If the NRL were even 10% competent (a big ask, I know), then a nominal value would consider a players position, first grade appearance and Rep appearances in conjunction with their current contract ... Not solely base it of a ridiculous contract that a desperate, poorly run club offered

That's a myth really these days that players get paid more in Superleague. It used to be the case because iirc there were very good tax breaks for overseas players, but that's not the case any more.

Active Now

• Kev_Guz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Alec
  • broncoscope
  • BooKhaki
  • Hurrijo
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.