Anthony Milford Discussion

Anthony Milford puts pressure on Michael Morgan for Queensland jersey
COWBOYS pivot Michael Morgan is fighting to retain his Queensland jumper as Maroons hierarchy consider unleashing Broncos rival Anthony Milford this season.
Maroons coach Kevin Walters declared “I’d pick Anthony Milford tomorrow” — turning up the heat on Morgan in the battle for Queensland’s No. 14 utility jumper.
While Morgan has become a handy member of Queensland’s interchange rotation, he has produced some patchy form for the Cowboys in the opening month of the premiership.
That has opened the door for Milford, who has forged close ties with Walters since the Maroons mentor chose him as Queensland’s under-20s five-eighth three years ago.

Walters said Morgan, as Queensland’s utility incumbent, deserves the inside running to be retained for Origin I. Like Morgan, Milford has had an indifferent start to the 2017 campaign, but the Maroons coach concedes he is finding it increasingly difficult to overlook the Broncos whiz-kid.
“Given the right opportunity, I’d pick Anthony Milford tomorrow,” Walters said.
“He is ready to go at Origin level.
“I know he has some deficiencies in his game at the moment ... well, not so much deficiencies, but he is probably not where he wants to be and where he knows he can be.
“But it doesn’t concern me one bit. I know what Anthony is capable of. I have a lot of faith in him and what he can do.
“When he hits the trigger and whenever that is, the other teams better look out.”
origin:video_integrator.R2NjJqYTE6jzPr-zVylZ0ywhQXQXMBY-

'Coen Hess a certainty'
Asked if he would seriously consider picking Milford this season, Walters added: “Definitely. I think a lot of guys are ready for the next challenge.
“A few of them have to get better in clubland but I wouldn’t have any hesitation picking Milford or a few other guys for this year’s series.”
With Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk entrenched as Queensland’s halves, Milford’s only hope of an Origin debut this season, barring injury, appears to be off the bench.
Queensland’s selectors are famed their loyalty and Walters insists he will give Morgan every opportunity to seal his Maroon jumper for Origin I.

“He is going OK without being great,” Walters said. “There’s always pressure on all players.
“With Queensland being the way we are, he’d have to be playing Intrust Super Cup to not put himself into the picture.
“We know Morgo’s capabilities, but we are not against bringing in new blood and we’re going to have to do that anyway.
“If Michael stays fit, he brings so much to the team, it would be unlikely for him to be left out.
“I’m not too concerned. There is a bit of a shift there with the Cowboys losing some senior players, but those challenges will help Michael’s game more than anything.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...y/news-story/f90804331bb1030abcdc8ee7b3af540c

And Ben Hunt who was supposedly the worst thing since the Star Wars prequels was the Broncos second best player of last season (behind Milf).

Imo all the talk about Ben Hunt is the reason this thread exists. Milford got a free pass while Hunt copped the blame for everything.
Now it seems Hunt is finding some form while Milford is dropping more ball than Whitchurch.

For mine most people think Milford and Hunt have been giving us reasons to be concerned. Hunt has taken a little heat off himself and winning generally keeps strident criticism to a minimum. None of us will be happy until we get consistent form. That doesn't mean faultless but consistent professional performance. It really is not how good you are when you are good, it's how good you are when your off your game. Even the greatest had average games and they were still acceptable so for our elite halves we at least should be able to expect that and pass comment when the performances are poor.

Anthony Milford puts pressure on Michael Morgan for Queensland jersey
COWBOYS pivot Michael Morgan is fighting to retain his Queensland jumper as Maroons hierarchy consider unleashing Broncos rival Anthony Milford this season.
Maroons coach Kevin Walters declared “I’d pick Anthony Milford tomorrow” — turning up the heat on Morgan in the battle for Queensland’s No. 14 utility jumper.
While Morgan has become a handy member of Queensland’s interchange rotation, he has produced some patchy form for the Cowboys in the opening month of the premiership.
That has opened the door for Milford, who has forged close ties with Walters since the Maroons mentor chose him as Queensland’s under-20s five-eighth three years ago.

Walters said Morgan, as Queensland’s utility incumbent, deserves the inside running to be retained for Origin I. Like Morgan, Milford has had an indifferent start to the 2017 campaign, but the Maroons coach concedes he is finding it increasingly difficult to overlook the Broncos whiz-kid.
“Given the right opportunity, I’d pick Anthony Milford tomorrow,” Walters said.
“He is ready to go at Origin level.
“I know he has some deficiencies in his game at the moment ... well, not so much deficiencies, but he is probably not where he wants to be and where he knows he can be.
“But it doesn’t concern me one bit. I know what Anthony is capable of. I have a lot of faith in him and what he can do.
“When he hits the trigger and whenever that is, the other teams better look out.”
origin:video_integrator.R2NjJqYTE6jzPr-zVylZ0ywhQXQXMBY-

'Coen Hess a certainty'
Asked if he would seriously consider picking Milford this season, Walters added: “Definitely. I think a lot of guys are ready for the next challenge.
“A few of them have to get better in clubland but I wouldn’t have any hesitation picking Milford or a few other guys for this year’s series.”
With Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk entrenched as Queensland’s halves, Milford’s only hope of an Origin debut this season, barring injury, appears to be off the bench.
Queensland’s selectors are famed their loyalty and Walters insists he will give Morgan every opportunity to seal his Maroon jumper for Origin I.

“He is going OK without being great,” Walters said. “There’s always pressure on all players.
“With Queensland being the way we are, he’d have to be playing Intrust Super Cup to not put himself into the picture.
“We know Morgo’s capabilities, but we are not against bringing in new blood and we’re going to have to do that anyway.
“If Michael stays fit, he brings so much to the team, it would be unlikely for him to be left out.
“I’m not too concerned. There is a bit of a shift there with the Cowboys losing some senior players, but those challenges will help Michael’s game more than anything.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...y/news-story/f90804331bb1030abcdc8ee7b3af540c

This just sounds like mind games.

I don't think Walters has any intention picking Milford this year. He is playing mind games in an attempt to get Morgan to pull his head out because he has been very average so far this season.

This just sounds like mind games.

I don't think Walters has any intention picking Milford this year. He is playing mind games in an attempt to get Morgan to pull his head out because he has been very average so far this season.

Maybe Walters just knows how to get the best out of Milford too.

I've got my tin foil hat on here, but is it a stretch to far to imagine Wayne's given old mate Kevvie a call and said look, I need your help to get a Queensland half firing. Milf needs some positive press, help us out.

I've got my tin foil hat on here, but is it a stretch to far to imagine Wayne's given old mate Kevvie a call and said look, I need your help to get a Queensland half firing. Milf needs some positive press, help us out.

I like your hat. But I think it's more Walters learning off Wayne (to a degree - Wayne would rather a third party do the "bagging", not himself). I think @Super Freak may be right - he's trying to fire up Morgan.

I tend to agree with Super Freak. It would serve two masters, Morgan gets a kick and Milford believes he's a chance even if he thinks like SF and myself. Being human, we all like to hear nice stuff said about ourselves. I doubt WB had much to do with it.

An article came out in the last week about Milford wanting to play for Samoa at the end of the year. Maybe this was more about retaining his availability for QLD and Australia.

They have changed the rules ... you can play for a second tier nation if not selected for your tier one nation without affecting your origin/Australia eligibility

An article came out in the last week about Milford wanting to play for Samoa at the end of the year. Maybe this was more about retaining his availability for QLD and Australia.

I had to laugh at the way the CM marketed that story. The headline was something like "Bennett and Milford set to clash" and the journo(I forget who) was still going with the narrative that Bennett had actively stood in the way of Milford's rep ambitions last year.

I hate to think it, but he looks like he doesn't want to be here anymore. I have no clue why, whether its the drama with Bennett keeping him out of Samoa or he doesn't like the direction his coaching is going in or what, but he just looks disinterested and lazy. Actually it reminds me a lot of Norman before he fucked off.

He is in easily career worst form atm. That last run by Kasiano Milford missed him literally 3 times before Thaiday got him down.

Shocking tackling technique. Terrible. You would think he'd have learned after the first time he let a try in but his airy fairy attempt on Fatiano.....

You'd think he would've learned after Morgan scored 3 past him with same fend each time

A couple of journalists, including Chris Garry now have said that contract negotiations are really affecting him, so hopefully we can get his signed soon and he just focus on footy.

A couple of journalists, including Chris Garry now have said that contract negotiations are really affecting him, so hopefully we can get his signed soon and he just focus on footy.
Can Chris Garry also confirm that he started negotiations after round 10 last year?

WHY is it affecting him? That is his manager's job. If he is playing hardball trying to drive his price up, he can piss off. You aren't getting the pay day when you're playing as shit as that.

Can Chris Garry also confirm that he started negotiations after round 10 last year?

To be honest in this day and age we probably did start to talk to his manager about it around that time.

Active Now

• marw
  • Broncosarethebest
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncs30
  • Alec
  • Fitzy
  • Old Mate
  • Waynesaurus
  • teampjta
  • RolledOates
  • Brocko
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • sooticus
  • Stix
  • abashii
  • Skathen
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.