RUMOUR Anthony Milford to the Storm

I just don't understand how these contracts take so long to finalise???
Club: Anthony we'd love for you to play for us for the next 4 years, here's our offer...
Team Milford: Ok/ no...
**** me, we aren't talking about big contracts, 900k a year FFS
Billion dollar mining deals are worked out in less fucking time than it takes these pork chops to settle on a 3 year deal...
If the club has managed to **** this up and we lose both of our halves in the same season it will just about fucking do me.

Agree sick of this contract bulls***.

NRL needs to put its foot down and crack down on player managers getting too much power which the media feeds.

Two solutions: 1) 2 Trade windows one about now for 1 week and two or three weeks post season. Ban movement talk from players or managers outside this time. Insure players for 80% current contract if career ending injury if off contract for a couple of years (less time if over 30) so players are fairly protected. Clubs can extend anytime but if they are hassling players maybe limit that windows before the open season. Any transfers are immediate.
Will also help keep long term players at their club more.

2) Tie players contracts to % of cap so no uncertainty about cap in contract talks. Cap should vary based on revenues each year (with agreed minimums) which players need to take some responsibility for (and maybe a seat at the table for players union in NRL). If they promote the game and play exciting footy then they should share in the profits. As a bonus one of best ways to bring player behaviour in line is if other guys in the team are pissed off for costing them money. Also means one club players signed on long contracts don't get shafted if cap massively increases or players shed if cap lower than projected.

We have a Korean Fried Chicken joint down here that is AMAZING...however, you guys up there have MOS Burger, so I'd say he's still leaning (and what a big lean it is given his anecdotal girth) towards Brissy.

Anthony Milford mulls Melbourne Storm offer

Brisbane five-eighth Anthony Milford is expected to juggle his commitments to Samoa with the contemplation of his future as he spends representative week mulling over whether to remain at the Broncos or accept an enticing offer to move to Melbourne next season.
The Australian yesterday revealed the Storm had made a play for Milford, although there were differing accounts as to how advanced the discussions were between the Broncos star and Melbourne hierarchy.
Milford’s agent suggested the interest from the Storm was in its infancy but The Australian can reveal the Broncos five-eighth had flown to Melbourne on a private flight for talks with the Storm and coach Craig Bellamy.
Sources suggested Bellamy had outlined his vision for Milford and how he would fit into the Melbourne’s halves set-up next season. Regardless, Milford has a decision to make as he ponders whether he will remain in Brisbane next season, where the Broncos have tabled a three-year deal believed to be worth upwards of $2.7 million.
Broncos officials are convinced the bid from the Storm exceeds that amount, although Melbourne officials remained tight-lipped yesterday over their level of interest in the 23-year-old. The Broncos can ill-afford to lose Milford, given his regular halves partner Ben Hunt has already announced he will join St George Illawarra at the end of the year.
Brisbane compensated for that loss with the signing of Cronulla utility Jack Bird, but it is understood that coup has impacted on their attempts to retain Milford. It is understood Milford has raised concerns with his management over the size of Bird’s deal with Brisbane — some reports have suggested Bird’s four-year contract is worth in excess of $3.5m. The Storm, meanwhile, are on the lookout for a new half following the decision by Cooper Cronk to move to Sydney at the end of the year for personal reasons.
Melbourne would appear to have two options in the event that they are successful in their pursuit of Milford. One would be to pair Milford with Cameron Munster in the halves, a combination that would most likely revolve around Milford playing halfback and Munster five-eighth.
The other option would be to play Milford with young halfback Brodie Croft, although with Billy Slater expected to back up next season, that would mean Munster reverting to the centres.
Prior to Slater’s well-documented shoulder problems, Munster had been earmarked for a role in the centres by the Storm. Munster would then switch to fullback when Slater retires.
Milford and Croft would then become the Storm’s long-term halves combination. While Brisbane remain favourites to retain the playmaker, the Storm’s interest is genuine as they attempt to compensate for the loss of Cronk.
The club has also been linked with Cronulla five-eighth James Maloney, who has a year remaining on his deal at the Sharks but has been sounded out by rivals.
Cronk, meanwhile, is yet to decide his future when he moves to Sydney next year and was reluctant to discuss the prospects of any replacements in Melbourne.
“I’m not privy to those conversations,” Cronk said. “But from the outside any time there’s a good player to be looked at, and he’s an elite player, it’s interesting. So much more comes into play. Quote me if I’m wrong but Anthony left Canberra for family reasons back in Brisbane.
“One thing I do know is the powers that be at Storm in Craig Bellamy and Cameron Smith make smart decisions. So whatever decision they make will be well thought through, well researched and will be the right decision for that football club.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...r/news-story/b6263bcb7e9e4745a044e07cbe25f9b6

Melbourne's massive play for Milford

Three years ago his availability sparked a savage bidding war between the Raiders and Broncos, which led to Brisbane offering a package of around $1 million-a-season to poach him.
Now fate has placed Milford at the centre of an even more desperate battle for his skills.

And it’s set to earn him even more money. With Cooper Cronk and Ben Hunt moving to Sydney next year, Brisbane and Melbourne – the NRL’s only two perennial powerhouses – now have only one superstar half between them for 2018: Milford.

News of Melbourne’s interest began to swirl early this week – and it’s more serious than reported thus far.
No club does a sales pitch quite like Melbourne, which is owned by a consortium of millionaire businessmen.

We’ve been told the Storm might even be prepared to offer Milford a deal as long as six years to leave behind his parents and family in Brisbane.
Up until the Storm weighed-in early last week, talks with Brisbane had been progressing steadily.
But the Broncos were still yet to meet Milford’s financial demands, leaving the door open for him to investigate other options.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/35273242/7th-tackle-milfs-six-appeal-to-storm/

Massoud is bordering on Lurker levels of credibility. It's been awhile since I've seen a journalist have to back-track on their stories.

Let's face it, it's been a slow news week so the press has had to run with this story.

We have a Korean Fried Chicken joint down here that is AMAZING...however, you guys up there have MOS Burger, so I'd say he's still leaning (and what a big lean it is given his anecdotal girth) towards Brissy.
Nene Chicken? They're in the Myer Centre.

Honestly, he's not lived up to expectations thus far and in no way deserves the money he's reported to be wanting, plus there's been reports of internal contract value jealousy at the club since he's been here and while he 'might come good/great', I'm starting to see why Canberra were so pissed at him when he left.

I hope I'm wrong about him, but I'm tending towards the angle of offering him less (what he is ACTUALLY worth right now - I'd say about 600k) and leaving it up to him to evidence his desire and loyalty to the club before his performance drives his wage up. We don't need primadonnas here.

We can't afford to lose Milford.

We can't afford to lose Milford.

It is not ideal but it isn't the end of the world. We already have two potential running halves at the club in KNik and Bird, sure they won't go so well together next year most likely but we would then have a lot of money to throw at Taylor.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Taylor's delay in re-signing is a result of waiting and seeing as to what Milf does. No insie info, just a feeling.

Maybe we signed Bird because we know we aren't getting Milford next year

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.