Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Multiple confirmations now that we'll be granting his request for a release

Adam Jackson & Mark Gottlieb among them.

In my opinion this is our worst R&R decision in the last 2 years. To lose 4/17 (nearly 25%) of our Grand Final team in one off-season, after only 1 year in the finals, is poor roster management. Penrith have barely lost that many stars in the last 3 years (Burton, Kikau, Api & Capewell).

We really need to be better at staggering our roster so not as many players come off contract at once, limit how many we unnecessarily upgrade early, and stop granting releases early if we can avoid it - it just encourages other clubs to entice our players away.

Having said that, thank you Capes. Much respect for the professionalism you brought and instilled in us.

The Brisbane Broncos would like to thank Kurt Capewell for his contribution to the club over the past two years, having granted him a release from the remainder of his contract.

Broncos Coach Kev Walters said: "Capes has played an important role for us over the past couple of seasons, both on and off the field as we laid down the foundations to turn things around as a club.

“He is a great bloke and a wonderful servant of our game, and he has made a big impact at our club in a short period of time since joining us in 2021.

“You won’t find many people who have a bad word to say about Kurt.

"On behalf of everyone at the Broncos, I'd like to thank Capes for all his efforts at the club and we wish him well.”

This was coming of course but it feels a bit like when we lost Kevin Campion. As much as he let us down to an extent in the GF, he was a big part of the reason we were there in the first place but can't begrudge him for taking the longer contract on offer.

I don't mind any of the contract decisions the club has made, in fact I think all of them are the right call but it does suck to lose so much experienced talent in the one off season now with Herbie, Flegs, Keenan and Capes all goneskis.

We are being forced in to it of course because of the salary cap but it sucks when it feels like we've lost in the one off season about the same amount of top end talent as Penrith have in the last four years despite making four consecutive GFs.

Over four years, they've lost Kikau, Capes, Leniu, Api, Burton and Crichton. We've made just one GF and now we've lost four regular first graders, three of them current internationals.

Just hope they know what they are doing. I know we have some real gun young players coming through but geez it is a worry losing that experience. I wonder if Benny Ikin was still at the Broncos if this would have happened.

The Brisbane Broncos would like to thank Kurt Capewell for his contribution to the club over the past two years, having granted him a release from the remainder of his contract.

Broncos Coach Kev Walters said: "Capes has played an important role for us over the past couple of seasons, both on and off the field as we laid down the foundations to turn things around as a club.

“He is a great bloke and a wonderful servant of our game, and he has made a big impact at our club in a short period of time since joining us in 2021.

“You won’t find many people who have a bad word to say about Kurt.

"On behalf of everyone at the Broncos, I'd like to thank Capes for all his efforts at the club and we wish him well.”

This was coming of course but it feels a bit like when we lost Kevin Campion. As much as he let us down to an extent in the GF, he was a big part of the reason we were there in the first place but can't begrudge him for taking the longer contract on offer.

I don't mind any of the contract decisions the club has made, in fact I think all of them are the right call but it does suck to lose so much experienced talent in the one off season now with Herbie, Flegs, Keenan and Capes all goneskis.

We are being forced in to it of course because of the salary cap but it sucks when it feels like we've lost in the one off season about the same amount of top end talent as Penrith have in the last four years despite making four consecutive GFs.

Over four years, they've lost Kikau, Capes, Leniu, Api, Burton and Crichton. We've made just one GF and now we've lost four regular first graders, three of them current internationals.
To be fair, we "lost" herbie and Flegler before the 2023 season even started...

In my opinion this is our worst R&R decision in the last 2 years. To lose 4/17 (nearly 25%) of our Grand Final team in one off-season, after only 1 year in the finals, is poor roster management. Penrith have barely lost that many stars in the last 3 years (Burton, Kikau, Api & Capewell).

The thing is we didn't lose them this off-season. We lost three of them before the season started, when they weren't grand final players, they were a part of the team that capitulated like no other before them (a mantle I believe Souths took over this year). Flegs and Herbie were arguably still a loss then, but Flegs was widely considered a penalty-magnet and Herbie was coming back from a season-ending injury and was (and still is) being questioned in regards to his skills as a complete centre. Palasia bounced in and out of the team, and I don't know if anyone really begrudged his loss to any degree at the time.

Trust the process. This management and coaching group were responsible for the clear out and restock that brought us to the grand final. I have faith they know what they are doing.

It would be interesting to compare the average prices players are poached for from each club. I swear even our shit players get picked up on overs.

The thing is we didn't lose them this off-season. We lost three of them before the season started, when they weren't grand final players, they were a part of the team that capitulated like no other before them
Think about how many we'll lose now that we're successful again.

Isn't Capewell a Broncos junior? I know he wasn't at his best last year but we threw Oates a new deal when he turned his career around in 2022 so not sure why Capewell couldn't have done the same.

Isn't Capewell a Broncos junior? I know he wasn't at his best last year but we threw Oates a new deal when he turned his career around in 2022 so not sure why Capewell couldn't have done the same.

Not sure Oates was being offered a decent three year deal elsewhere though either. Plus, Capewell has already played for several other clubs, Oates not so. It isn't apples for apples here.

Given this is all official now, I'd love to see us try and bring Hosking back.

We really need to be better at staggering our roster so not as many players come off contract at once, limit how many we unnecessarily upgrade early, and stop granting releases early if we can avoid it - it just encourages other clubs to entice our players away.

Having said that, thank you Capes. Much respect for the professionalism you brought and instilled in us.
We need to make sure that we retain Haas, Mam, Carrigan, and Walsh long term, virtually everybody else on the roster is expendable. Cobbo and Mozer might join those four soon enough (clubs are already after Cobbo big time but losing him right now wouldn't be a crushing blow imo) within the next 12 months. I'm happy that the club is making these sorts of moves to get our top end guns locked away early and for a long time with room to move on our cap in case some other freak jr comes through.

Active Now

• johnny plath
  • davidp
  • Xzei
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • sooticus
  • mitch222
  • Sproj
  • RolledOates
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Financeguy
  • Tmac
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.