Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Things could be totally different for Tevita this time around.
His captains were Boyd, Glenn and Brodie Croft.
Matt Lodge was the "forward leader" for some time.
Seibold was the coach for a period.
The side was "led" around by Milford.
Compare that to what we have now.
Could say he had similar leaders at the Bulldogs and he probably never wanted to be there in the first place.
If he earns it I've got no problems with Kev and the club giving him a chance

He will be one of the dumbest signings we could make. Good reason we got rid of him in the first place. He's a liability on and off the field.

28 years old now and people still clinging to the hope he will fulfill his potential just like they did with Dave Taylor. And he hasnt even had the career the Coaltrain had.

If TPJ didn't injure his knee in the GF qualifier he'd now be a premiership winner with the Panthers having filled basically the exact same role Brisbane would be looking to him for.

I've got some doubts but if Ivan Cleary and Kev/DD are OK with taking him on then I'll go with it.

TPJ wants to be a Bronco and if that is all he is interested in, then it isn't going to cost us an arm and a leg - it is low risk high reward - do it
Good point. Kev would need to say that if you aint obliterating Taumololo like in 2019 or the entire Roosters pack like that SCG game in 2021 you aren't in the team.

He will be one of the dumbest signings we could make. Good reason we got rid of him in the first place. He's a liability on and off the field.

28 years old now and people still clinging to the hope he will fulfill his potential just like they did with Dave Taylor. And he hasnt even had the career the Coaltrain had.
I’m not expecting him to reach his potential but he the level he has reached would make quite a good bench option for 6 months for a team that desperately needs it.

He’s a better player than any of our current bench options, both middle and edge, including Jensen.

The difference this time around is that it is totally on Kev’s terms. At 300k he can very easily play 10 minutes or less or be quickly dropped to Q Cup if that’s all that is needed. You can’t tell me TPJ wouldn’t produce a better 24 minutes than Taupau or Baker, or be a better injury cover at second row than Patty.

The guy is hanging around the club and players anyway. That gives us 6 months to make a judgement call on his current character

TPJ is high risk, high reward, but we put ourselves in this position by letting Capewell walk. There's no doubt we need more 2nd row depth.

I hold no hope that TPJ can suddenly turn his career around and consistently become the player we saw glimpses of over the years, but can he provide depth and do a serviceable job off the bench if needed? Probably. It just depends if Kev feels like his presence will be a distraction / bad influence on the rest of the team. I trust that he will make the right decision.

I’m not expecting him to reach his potential but he the level he has reached would make quite a good bench option for 6 months for a team that desperately needs it.

He’s a better player than any of our current bench options, both middle and edge, including Jensen.

The difference this time around is that it is totally on Kev’s terms. At 300k he can very easily play 10 minutes or less or be quickly dropped to Q Cup if that’s all that is needed. You can’t tell me TPJ wouldn’t produce a better 24 minutes than Taupau or Baker, or be a better injury cover at second row than Patty.

The guy is hanging around the club and players anyway. That gives us 6 months to make a judgement call on his current character

In that 24 mins though you are likely to get ill disciplined rubbish as you are getting him at his best.

As I said, we got rid of him for a good reason.

If he had a preseason that targeted his fitness I would have a more positive attitude . To think that the rest of the squad did 3 months prep for this season .

Then TPJ thinks he`s gonna play a few minutes for the Magpies and walk into the team is a fantasy IMO .
Sure he might be fit for boxing , but rugba leeg is not the same thing .

To give TPJ a start without doing the hard work in preseason with the bonding involved devalues the months the rest of the squad spent working outside the competition .

Bringing in a guy who hasn`t done the work with the rest of the squad doesn`t seem fair to me . And could cause resentment .
It will take a cpl of injuries and a dose of desperation to make TPJ`s miracle happen .
IMO .

If TPJ is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question in our quest for a premiership.

He's the type of player the Titans would sign, someone who can show some crazy stuff on highlight reels and get the attention of dumb, bored half-fans. He's a low work ethic, talented but dumb, lazy player. Dave Taylor, Konrad Hurrell, Bryce Cartwright, Jamal Idris, Tyrone Peachey. Some team at some stage got a solid year or two out of each of those but overall they are the sort of players teams chase if they aren't premiership contenders, they are chasing the top 8 and are hoping to gamble in order to get there.
The question we should be asking, is who is an available forward who can cover edge/middle from the bench. TPJ is a pretty good answer to that question.

You proved yourself wrong with your own examples, Peachey was signed by the Panthers. Or are Panthers gambling to make the 8?
In that 24 mins though you are likely to get ill disciplined rubbish as you are getting him at his best.

As I said, we got rid of him for a good reason.
We got rid of him for salary cap reasons, no? If he comes back, it won't be on a 700k+ deal.

We got rid of him for salary cap reasons, no? If he comes back, it won't be on a 700k+ deal.

No ... At least not the only reason, probably not even the main reason.

We got rid of him because of his negative influence on the dressing room. In fact we wanted him gone so badly, that we agreed to top up his Bulldogs contract significantly if he would leave immediately.

If footy ability was the only thing you needed to consider, of course you'd take the punt on him ... Unfortunately, if you want to be successful you need to much more than just talent.

No ... At least not the only reason, probably not even the main reason.

We got rid of him because of his negative influence on the dressing room. In fact we wanted him gone so badly, that we agreed to top up his Bulldogs contract significantly if he would leave immediately.

If footy ability was the only thing you needed to consider, of course you'd take the punt on him ... Unfortunately, if you want to be successful you need to much more than just talent.
Did we? He is still best mates with our best player, and hangs out regularly with lots of the main squad. Or does this negative influence only possible if he is being paid by the club?

He wasn't sacked. He was allowed to leave, same as several other players during a really poor 2-3 years, because we had a shit squad with several shittier contracts such as Boyd, Lodge, Bird and TPJ all being extremely over-paid.

The question we should be asking, is who is an available forward who can cover edge/middle from the bench. TPJ is a pretty good answer to that question.

You proved yourself wrong with your own examples, Peachey was signed by the Panthers. Or are Panthers gambling to make the 8?

No, it wasn't all salary cap reasons. He was doing off field shit that made the press and plenty that didn't.

We cant sign him for peanuts though. The nrl will class him still as a 600 to 700 k player. We will just get a cheaper price based on the time left in the pay year.

When they signed Peachey it was for a very different situation as we're looking at with TPJ. There were zero expectations laid on him, he was luxury depth as a plays-anywhere utility for injury cover. The fans, and the Broncos, would be pinning their hopes on TPJ, which is more desperation than good management.

When they signed Peachey it was for a very different situation as we're looking at with TPJ. There were zero expectations laid on him, he was luxury depth as a plays-anywhere utility for injury cover. The fans, and the Broncos, would be pinning their hopes on TPJ, which is more desperation than good management.
If the money is the same then it's not really desperation, he also covers an area that massively helps us to be fair.

If the money is the same then it's not really desperation, he also covers an area that massively helps us to be fair.

With the NRLs notional value system, we can't even afford him until after round 16. And then we'd still have to pay him nearly 300k for the remainder of the year

With the NRLs notional value system, we can't even afford him until after round 16. And then we'd still have to pay him nearly 300k for the remainder of the year
If he is expensive don't sign him, simple.

But I'm not really sure how NRL works out his value given he is playing 2nd tier footy, is every player worth what they are formerly paid?

But I'm not really sure how NRL works out his value given he is playing 2nd tier footy, is every player worth what they are formerly paid?

The NRL will reportedly base it on his 750k a year contract with the Bulldogs, that he walked away from only 6 months ago ... Him playing origin last year won't help lower his notional value

Israel Folau was stopped from coming back from AFL using the same rules. They put values on all players iirc

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • teampjta
  • Lurker
  • ivanhungryjak
  • HarryAllan7
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Evander
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.