Daly Cherry-Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Nashy... Hunt has literally had less than 5 good games in his 100 first grade games.. To say he's definitely our halfback saviour would be stupid at this stage.

so he forgot all the skills he learned before hand?

No but he hadn't been able to practice them.

If you don't drive a car for two years you still 'remember' how to do it, but it takes you ages to get proficient at it again

I agree with Nashy... Hunt has literally had less than 5 good games in his 100 first grade games.. To say he's definitely our halfback saviour would be stupid at this stage.

**** no one said that. Why does every player have to a be a saviour, can't they just play their role and try and do the job for the team

Notice the word 'If' being added to these post? Not saying he is definitely the saviour, however given the way he played on Friday night IF he can continue that he very well could be.

So in his first full season as halfback, he opened with a shocker, followed that with a patchy game in which he orchestrated the match winning passage of play and then had an absolute blinder. None of us are saying he is the saviour but I'm pretty sure those of us who are excited abot that improvement can be excused. That said, we could be negative about everyone if that makes people happier?

Notice the word 'If' being added to these post? Not saying he is definitely the saviour, however given the way he played on Friday night IF he can continue that he very well could be.

You don't give up on the opportunity to sign the next Australian Halfback just because our current halfback, who is still feeling his way into the team, has had one man of the match performance.

But yeah, i'd be happy to have Hunt over DCE for the next 6 or 7 years IF he puts in a man of the match performance every week but realistically that is not going to happen.

After every good game Hunt has had everyone sings the same song. "If he plays like this every week he'll be our Halfback for the next 10 years", the problem is, I don't recall him ever having 2 good games in a row, he usually follows up a good performance with a month of mediocrity. It's almost at the stage where even saying "If Hunt can be consistent" is pretty much redundant, because as of now, he's shown absolutely no consistently good football in 100 first grade games.

I genuinely hope it's different this year with a full pre-season at Halfback under his belt, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Sorry for being a realist, I know everyone here would rather hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

No but he hadn't been able to practice them.

If you don't drive a car for two years you still 'remember' how to do it, but it takes you ages to get proficient at it again
Pretty sure you will still know where the brake and accelerator pedals are, and which way to turn the steering wheel... and that's funny enough where he fails most.

I'm normally a pretty optimistic guy, but Hunt has me very sceptical because he can screw up the most basic of kicks or passes, whilem on the other hand, he can set-up and execute fantastic plays.
I don't know if it's lack of concentration or rushing that makes him do those silly mistakes, and I hope he is able to learn to maintain a better control of his execution for the 80 minutes on a consistent basis, because then he could actually be the guy we need alongside Milford.

After every good game Hunt has had everyone sings the same song. "If he plays like this every week he'll be our Halfback for the next 10 years", the problem is, I don't recall him ever having 2 good games in a row, he usually follows up a good performance with a month of mediocrity. It's almost at the stage where even saying "If Hunt can be consistent" is pretty much redundant, because as of now, he's shown absolutely no consistently good football in 100 first grade games.

I genuinely hope it's different this year with a full pre-season at Halfback under his belt, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Sorry for being a realist, I know everyone here would rather hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

This is the first time he has had an extended run at halfback to try and build each week, and so far that has been happening... some of us are prepared to give him a chance to se if that can keep happening.

I know the whole "oh man I'm super negative so that makes me a realist" thing is really in right now, so that's fair enough.

I do find it a bit hypocritical that you claim we aren't 'realists' yet you think there is a chance in hell that DCE will be signing with us. It is not going to happen. They are getting rid of Stewart, they wouldn't be doing that unless they were assured DCE was staying... that's the facts, that's what's real.

The only chance there is of DCE signing with the broncos is when he is in his mid thirties, past his best and Manly have moved him on

Porthoz;2574792[B said:
]Pretty sure you will still know where the brake and accelerator pedals are, and which way to turn the steering wheel[/B]... and that's funny enough where he fails most.

I'm normally a pretty optimistic guy, but Hunt has me very sceptical because he can screw up the most basic of kicks or passes, whilem on the other hand, he can set-up and execute fantastic plays.
I don't know if it's lack of concentration or rushing that makes him do those silly mistakes, and I hope he is able to learn to maintain a better control of his execution for the 80 minutes on a consistent basis, because then he could actually be the guy we need alongside Milford.

Exactly, you do know where they are but using them as fluently as you did previously takes time, which is what is happening with Hunt IMHO

Why is it when a player is out of position people are happy to go "well the coach is playing him out of position, let's hope he is moved back soon so we can see how he is" (Thaiday anyone) yet for Hunt who has played the majority of his career out of position and has only just been given a solid "this is your spot, take it." people aren't willing to forget his time out of position and judge him as a halfback?

Let's also keep in mind the Broncos spine is new, the only player still in the same position as last season is Macca (who is having a blinder) We have a winger who thinks he is a fullback playing at 5/8, and a bloke who went through hell last season finding his feet at a new club in the #1.

Exactly, you do know where they are but using them as fluently as you did previously takes time, which is what is happening with Hunt IMHO
Nah, that's bullshit. The passes and kicks he has misfired on a regular basis, have nothing to do with having been a bench hooker or lack of practice. Those are silly execution errors due to lack of concentration and/or control, and that is something you should have at all times playing FG in any position! I hope he can correct that, and hopefully maturity will help, but blaming it on his bench hooker time is a cop out imo.

I do find it a bit hypocritical that you claim we aren't 'realists' yet you think there is a chance in hell that DCE will be signing with us. It is not going to happen. They are getting rid of Stewart, they wouldn't be doing that unless they were assured DCE was staying... that's the facts, that's what's real.

The only chance there is of DCE signing with the broncos is when he is in his mid thirties, past his best and Manly have moved him on

How is it a fact that Manly aren't re-signing Glenn Stewart in order to keep Cherry-Evans.... there is no possible way you could know that, you are seemingly off with the fairies just throwing out these "facts".

Toovey said last night on NRL 360 that Manly are preparing an offer for Stewart, and are trying everything in their power to keep him, which is only common sense considering half the playing group has said they'll walk if Stewart isn't re-signed.

That's the facts, that's what's real.

How is it a fact that Manly aren't re-signing Glenn Stewart in order to keep Cherry-Evans.... there is no possible way you could know that, you are seemingly off with the fairies just throwing out these "facts".

Toovey said last night on NRL 360 that Manly are preparing an offer for Stewart, and are trying everything in their power to keep him, which is only common sense considering half the playing group has said they'll walk if Stewart isn't re-signed.

That's the facts, that's what's real.

Yeah ok, Stewart will be re-signed

Last edited:
Nah, that's bullshit. The passes and kicks he has misfired on a regular basis, have nothing to do with having been a bench hooker or lack of practice. Those are silly execution errors due to lack of concentration and/or control, and that is something you should have at all times playing FG in any position! I hope he can correct that, and hopefully maturity will help, but blaming it on his bench hooker time is a cop out imo.

righto, I disagree. Time will tell i guess

I may have written an essay on Hunt in the past but here's my take.

I feel as if the 2008 NYC award really gave fans a false impression of Hunt. I believe a lot of fans saw it as an indication that the Broncos had a genuine solution on their books and that he was the half we've been trying to develop since the days of Alfie Langer, forgetting of course that the NYC compared to the NRL is ery chalk and cheese. On top of that, Hunt won the award on consistensy and not merely on talent as Sandow was leading the polling quite comfortably until he was called up to first grade at which point, Hunt benefited.

The award was a nice little foot in the door for Ben, but it was clear in his early stints that his career in first grade was going to be a very rocky ride. Certain aspects of it could be improved on with the right coaching and structures to bring the best out of him, while others like his kicking & passing game appeared to always be limited.

At that point, I feel as if the coaching staff may have made the call and decided that his skills weren't good enough to make it as a first grade half so they tried to position him into a dummy half/Plath type role to take advantage of the talent he did possess. For mine, that worked to an extent but he had a glass ceiling known as Andrew McCullough standing in his way, preventing him from advancing and it more or less boxed him in.

At the time, there were plenty of calls to develop Hunt as a halfback and I was apart of that crowd. I feel that the benefit of hindsight has justified that view, and while Hunt may not have been the ideal candidate, in this modern era of Rugby League, you've got to make do with what you have and make the most of it.

Modern playmakers are rare and any attempt to develop one should be admired, not admonished. I feel as if coaching in general has become very safe in the NRL, with coaches constantly chasing the coat-tails of a Craig Bellamy, Des Hasler or Wayne Bennett. Fortunately, I feel as if the game is making moves to change the game and make it more offence focussed which should bring the power back to the halves and I feel as if Hunt has the best opportunuty right now to break out.

I expect by the end of the season, that the version of Hunt we have right before us, and the one at that particular point in time will be night and day. As he grows in confidence, as he forms combinations, figures out what works I believe he'll have etched out a nice little spot for himself.

Whether he can make a career out of it, remains to be seen but I wish him all the best. Surely a man of his patience deserves a little reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.