OFFICIAL Herman Ese'ese to Knights

Sucks for both parties but if you wanted to stay you'd take the contract on offer.
Don't begrudge Herman taking the extra cash though.
Big ask to throw away 375k just so you can maybe get 15-20 minutes of football every other week.....sounds to me he tried to get paid somewhere near market value and the Broncos wanted to pay him way way below that, not much better than 60% of what he could get....don't blame him and can't see much wrong with giving the Broncos plenty of time to get much closer.

I think Wayne did the wrong thing here.

I don't think he has.

The Broncos made an offer, three weeks later Herman still hasn't made up his mind and the Broncos have had enough of waiting. He doesn't have the star power to force the club's hand so the club have pulled the offer and showed him the door so they can move on to retaining our other young props.

Fair points.

I think he is really developing well and will continue to develop into one of the best props in the game.

Fair points.

I think he is really developing well and will continue to develop into one of the best props in the game.

I think he will develop into a great prop and we will regret letting him go. But at the moment he isn't there and we're in a situation where we have several other promising front rowers off contract and we will lose them if we don't move quickly to retain them.

I hate to see him go, but it seems a starting spot and playing for a club that's a genuine shot at a premiership is not enough to make him stay and we can't match the Knight's offer so it's pointless to keep trying to keep him.

I think bird should just stay a grubby shark. Back to a shit house forward rotation and depth.

It's fine to have a view on it but surely after seeing Unbreakables declaration on Wallace a lesson has been learned about declaring with absolute certainty.

It's POSSIBLY the worst decision he's ever made and MAY BE the worst he will ever make. How can you know it's his worst decision unless you've been there for all them and you don't know the future. Newcastle are team on the way up and I doubt they will be cellar dwellers next year or for the next few. Around here Wallace going to a bottom team at the Titans was seen as the exact same thing but nek minnit he's starting for Qld.

Wallace still plays for a rubbish club with little to no chance of winning a prem in the next 5 years.

EDIT: Herman is a really good player, but this isn't some sort of death blow to our chances. With Lodge around next year, as well as Haas and blokes like Su'A and Offa, Herman would have been fighting to keep his spot.

Definitely don't begrudge him taking the money if someone's willing to pay it. I think the broncos offer of $275k is ridiculous for a guy you're intending to start... and if that is the best they can provide for their preferred target we might be seeing why so many are looking to cut and run.

Some will come out and say he's fringe blah blah, but he was the starting prop early in the year and did little wrong. The dropping also seemed to coincide with the contract discussions is Bennet trying to drop his price by throwing him into reserve grade?? Conspiracies I know

As the old adage goes - no player is bigger than the club.

I really rate Herman and I'll be sorry to see him go, but Wayne has absolutely done the right thing here.

Herman hasn't earned the right to play games with us in the hope of getting an increased deal.

It's fine to have a view on it but surely after seeing Unbreakables declaration on Wallace a lesson has been learned about declaring with absolute certainty.

It's POSSIBLY the worst decision he's ever made and MAY BE the worst he will ever make. How can you know it's his worst decision unless you've been there for all them and you don't know the future. Newcastle are team on the way up and I doubt they will be cellar dwellers next year or for the next few. Around here Wallace going to a bottom team at the Titans was seen as the exact same thing but nek minnit he's starting for Qld.
Of course we can't be certain of anything, I thought that would've gone without saying? You can't be certain you're a real person, but we work under that presumption.

Unbreakables comments were directly about Wallace weren't they? I'm sure Ese'ese will be a great player for whatever club he goes to, but if he does go to the Knights, things don't look good. But hey, what would I know. I'm just a head in a vat, lol.

If he goes to Newcastle, will Moga be going with him? Havent seen anything confirmed, and i believe he had to take up his option with us by June 30th didnt he?

No he didn't lol, he was being held to ransom by a virtual rookie with barely 5 good games under his belt.

Best of luck to him, bring in Ofahengaue / Fai for the remainder of the season, 2 guys who may actually stick around.

He may have still stuck around, but now he definitely isn't. Personally would have preferred to have kept Ese'ese and not signed Sims.

He may have still stuck around, but now he definitely isn't. Personally would have preferred to have kept Ese'ese and not signed Sims.

Same . It seems the club is making some questionable decision's , can only hope they turn out for the best.

Sims is on $85k with us. He's not preventing us from signing anyone except another $85k minimum contract player.

Isn't he on more next year and the year after? Even so, still not a fan of him really.

Ah yes, the old retroactive pessimism.

We shouldn't have signed Sims to a minimum contract 6 months ago because of course we knew at the time it would hurt our ability to retain some guy who was barely in the first grade squad last year.

Really poor judgement from Wayne, dunno how he didn't see that one coming a mile away.

I don't mind too much, as long as we don't lose Ofa, TPJ and Su'a.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Fozz
  • The Strapper
  • Morkel
  • Allo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Browny
  • BooKhaki
  • Broncs1459
  • Rambstien
  • Jazza
  • theshed
  • Wendall Taylor
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwibronco
  • Santa
  • Dash
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.