OFFICIAL Herman Ese'ese to Knights

Ah yes, the old retroactive pessimism.

We shouldn't have signed Sims to a minimum contract 6 months ago because of course we knew at the time it would hurt our ability to retain some guy who was barely in the first grade squad last year.

Really poor judgement from Wayne, dunno how he didn't see that one coming a mile away.

Just my opinion mate.

Never was a huge fan of the Sims signing as it is.

If WB banishes him to Qcup for the rest of the year he absolutely has done the wrong thing. We have a genuine chance at a premiership and Herman was playing his part. To **** the team over because someone took too long to make up their mind is piss poor.

the thing that get me a bit wild about wayne and how he operates is as follows -

he is expecting a kid to take a hair cut on cash so wayne can win another premiership, all the while he is on his fat salary of $1m + a year.
a lot of kids in the game dont have an education or trade to fall back on and with the polynesian families they provide for their whole family so how can you blame them for trying to set them selves up.
if you go back the last 10 to 15 years, wayne had probbaly made in excess of $10m himself as bare minimum - which i dont be grudge at all.
however lets say a herman or another kid take a paycut for 3 or so years and then gets injured and cant play at the top level again, is wayne gonna look after them when they are on the bones of their arse living week to week in retirement... i doubt it!
go ask petero about taking unders to win premierships for wayne. when he was promised his payrise he got told there wasnt much left in the cap so he had to bail and go south so he could provide for his family.

Wayne does what he believes he has to in order to field a premiership winning side, it's completely irrelevant how much money Wayne makes, his job isn't to make sure all the Polynesians & Indigenous players at the club are set for life after football because they don't have anything to fall back on, his job is to win football games and to delegate appropriate funds to appropriate players. He clearly doesn't think Herman is worth breaking the bank over, as he did with Wallace. Titans paid overs, Wayne said on ya bike, same deal with Ese'ese.

I don't blame Herman for looking after his bank account, most people would in the same situation. He's leaving behind potential premierships & plenty of post-NRL opportunities by leaving, but that's his preorigitive. Take a look at guys like Renouf, Civoniceva, Hodges & Yow Yeh, still reaping the rewards of being Broncos through & through with ambassador work for the club.

the thing that get me a bit wild about wayne and how he operates is as follows -

he is expecting a kid to take a hair cut on cash so wayne can win another premiership, all the while he is on his fat salary of $1m + a year.
a lot of kids in the game dont have an education or trade to fall back on and with the polynesian families they provide for their whole family so how can you blame them for trying to set them selves up.
if you go back the last 10 to 15 years, wayne had probbaly made in excess of $10m himself as bare minimum - which i dont be grudge at all.
however lets say a herman or another kid take a paycut for 3 or so years and then gets injured and cant play at the top level again, is wayne gonna look after them when they are on the bones of their arse living week to week in retirement... i doubt it!
go ask petero about taking unders to win premierships for wayne. when he was promised his payrise he got told there wasnt much left in the cap so he had to bail and go south so he could provide for his family.
@Unbreakable covered most of it, but being at a successful clubs gives you more chance at rep money, and bigger future contracts. Even if he's doing very well at Newcastle he'll struggle to land a real big money deal in 3 years because no club will trust being good at Newcastle as being worth big money. If he's top prop at the Broncos, he could field offers or 700k in 3 years.

It's a gamble, good for Ese for going for the money, a lot of us would, but it isn't as simple as the other place is offering more so you'll make more all up.

Yep, I'm sad that we're not going to have him around next year (or the rest of this one?).

I think everyone's played the game though, we can't hang on him deciding for weeks at a time while we've got other players to retain or lose. Just didn't work out the way I'd have liked, but I can't begrudge him looking after himself.

The amount of money that is being thrown around for relatively young and unproven players lately is getting ridiculous. All of a sudden it is normal for these guys to be expecting $300-$400k per season when they have hardly played a solid season of football. Everyone is paying overs now for "potential" while some of the best players in the game in terms of track record and proven capabilities and resilience are still earning $400-$600k. And these guys have won premierships and played origin and rep level.
Wasn't that long ago the best players were getting close to being the first players to sign $1m per season deals.
Everyone else right up to their test and origin team mates were living it up on $500-$700k.
The rest of the above average solid first graders were **** a hoop on $300-$500k.

I know the salary cap has risen significantly and will continue to do so.
I know the great players on old contracts will get their payday when their turn comes (assuming they are still able to)
It started a long time ago but in recent times the first ridiculous contract was DCE for 10 years (forget about the money)
And Ben Hunt to the Dragons for $6m - holy cow. But at least those guys have at least passed the point of potential and had begun to really show they can earn it in the long run - Hunt more than DCE at the same stage. Taumalolo too -
Ponga was the next level - massive overs on potential - and yes I know he has oceans of it.
Now every frikin man and his dog who "has a big future", "will play rep football" is playing poker trying to use the lowest teams offers to make the best teams pay the same or close. Managers up to their eyeballs teaching them how and promising them the money.
Well Wayne didn't blink. He said you wanna play at the Broncos we are willing to pay you this much. If you want Newcastle money you're gonna have to go play for Newcastle.

The amount of money that is being thrown around for relatively young and unproven players lately is getting ridiculous. All of a sudden it is normal for these guys to be expecting $300-$400k per season when they have hardly played a solid season of football.

If you think it's getting ridiculous in the NRL, you should try following the NBA!

There's kids in the NBA who are early 20's, haven't shown a whole lot apart from potential and are being rewarded in free agency with 4 year - $120m+ contract offers from teams. The amount of money in the NBA has become almost absurd. Stephen Curry just signed the richest contract in sporting history, on a per year basis, 5 years - $201m. He'll earn nearly half a million dollars for every NBA game he plays, not even factoring in endorsements and shoe deals, which also exceed 6 figures.

If you think it's getting ridiculous in the NRL, you should try following the NBA!

There's kids in the NBA who are early 20's, haven't shown a whole lot apart from potential and are being rewarded in free agency with 4 year - $120m+ contract offers from teams. The amount of money in the NBA has become almost absurd. Stephen Curry just signed the richest contract in sporting history, on a per year basis, 5 years - $201m. He'll earn nearly half a million dollars for every NBA game he plays, not even factoring in endorsements and shoe deals, which also exceed 6 figures.
Don't get started on NBA, I am really pissed at the moment about Gordon Hayward leaving Jazz

Yeah it's a whole different universe in that fantasy land.
Same formula though. Whole thing driven by TV deals and then the managers all flock to the honey pot...
"...this kids gonna be the Greatest Of All Time..."

The amount of money that is being thrown around for relatively young and unproven players lately is getting ridiculous. All of a sudden it is normal for these guys to be expecting $300-$400k per season when they have hardly played a solid season of football. Everyone is paying overs now for "potential" while some of the best players in the game in terms of track record and proven capabilities and resilience are still earning $400-$600k. And these guys have won premierships and played origin and rep level.
Wasn't that long ago the best players were getting close to being the first players to sign $1m per season deals.
Everyone else right up to their test and origin team mates were living it up on $500-$700k.
The rest of the above average solid first graders were **** a hoop on $300-$500k.

I know the salary cap has risen significantly and will continue to do so.
I know the great players on old contracts will get their payday when their turn comes (assuming they are still able to)
It started a long time ago but in recent times the first ridiculous contract was DCE for 10 years (forget about the money)
And Ben Hunt to the Dragons for $6m - holy cow. But at least those guys have at least passed the point of potential and had begun to really show they can earn it in the long run - Hunt more than DCE at the same stage. Taumalolo too -
Ponga was the next level - massive overs on potential - and yes I know he has oceans of it.
Now every frikin man and his dog who "has a big future", "will play rep football" is playing poker trying to use the lowest teams offers to make the best teams pay the same or close. Managers up to their eyeballs teaching them how and promising them the money.
Well Wayne didn't blink. He said you wanna play at the Broncos we are willing to pay you this much. If you want Newcastle money you're gonna have to go play for Newcastle.

This was always going to happen with more money coming in. Especially when the salary cap is going up.

Player values are going to increase significantly. One day in the future, if the NRL are competent enough to keep the game alive, players are going to be earning in the millions each season. I'm not just talking about 1-2 million. I'm talking a lot more.

We should pay in Zimbabwean dollars

160504154606-one-trillion-dollar-exlarge-169.jpg

Wayne doesn't have to take a paycut because we're not trying to fit the coaching staff in to a salary cap. We are with players.

On our cap, it's basically minimum wage from what's been reported.

Newcastle are paying the bulk of it.
It has to be more than $85k, otherwise Newcastle wouldn't have bothered releasing him. They had to replace him with another player, also on at least $85k.

Active Now

• Ondi
  • Mr Fourex
  • Manofoneway
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • Alec
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • maddo
  • Kev_Guz
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.