Korbin Sims to Red Hill

Just more tackling we didn't need to do. At that stage in the game it was crucial.

It was one extra tackle we had to make because it was conceded on the first tackle. Yeah, that made a huge difference.

Shouldn't act too surprised, it will find its way into a discussion of which brand of socks is best.

Speaking of socks, did you see some of the players pulling their socks down during the GF? I know Parker hated that.

You've never been a forward have you....only a back would make those comments. lol
I played front row, second row and yes...One glorious game on the wing. But that was in the days of under 21 colts. I can't say I was much of a ball playing forward with the exception of offloads.
Unless you're exeptional, the bigger you are the harder it is move laterally in defence, and the harder it is to get back in line when your tired. Sure you can make the big metres, but as I say you usually tire more easily. Its what makes a bloke like gillet so good. He might not make the big runs of other 2nd rowers, but he just never seems to let up the physically. Same with Maguire but to a lesser degree, he's a prop.
There's a reason why the likes of fui fui moi moi and his like are limited in teams. You are right a big man, with the same engine as a smaller man will always win. But a player not out of puff will run rings around one who is and there's few big front rowers that can play 60 minutes, let alone 80. That's why smaller forwards exist.

Wow, a whole page of a thread about Korbin Sims without mention of Korbin Sims. Ok. I'll fix that.

What makes me really like Korbin Sims is that offload he gave for the Milford try against Manly.

If only Josh McGuire would offload we would be such a better side.

A prop, and lock, who can offload is worth their weight in gold. For mine, doesn't matter how fucking big or little they are. If forwards have ball playing skills, that's what really counts.

It was one extra tackle we had to make because it was conceded on the first tackle. Yeah, that made a huge difference.
And the meters gained by the Cows as a consequence... let's not forget that.

Not that I think the penalty was determinant.

Most of them are just lard arses.

I'm talk about big fit aggressive guys....they win matches.

Much harder with a small pack. Ask any Tigers supporter.

Ps if you asked any of the Broncos forwards if they'd like to be 6 inches taller and 10 kegs heavier (with the same athletic ability) you reckon any of them say 'no'.

Of course, but that's the point, it's rare to find someone 6 inches taller and 10kg heavier with the same athletic ability. It doesn't work that way. It's like saying someone would love to be taller and bigger and stronger and not lose any speed (no one mention Milford or I'll brain you).

That's the balance. Like was mentioned earlier, it's how you work your game plan. If you have a big pack, you need to hold on to the ball and have regular stops in play. With a smaller pack, you keep the ball in play, you wear the bigger pack down and they'll be out on their feet and vulnerable.

Personally I wish the Broncos kept Wallace instead of Moose. He is a lot cheaper, and his output this season has been arguably better... Add to that Moose makes a few mistakes and gives away dumb penalties. I dunno, he sorta just annoys me. Looks like he would be a bit of an asshole haha. Wallace is always really nice and even gave a wave to some of the Broncos fans (myself included) when we versed the Titans. My main issue with Mcguire is his after contact metres... He makes decent metres before the line, but usually, once he hits a defender, he hits the floor. I think the after contact metres forwards make is a big thing in their impact. Players like Taumololo, Vaughn, JDB etc all make pretty good metres after hitting the line and it really gets the team on the front foot.

Personally I wish the Broncos kept Wallace instead of Moose. He is a lot cheaper, and his output this season has been arguably better... Add to that Moose makes a few mistakes and gives away dumb penalties. I dunno, he sorta just annoys me. Looks like he would be a bit of an asshole haha. Wallace is always really nice and even gave a wave to some of the Broncos fans (myself included) when we versed the Titans. My main issue with Mcguire is his after contact metres... He makes decent metres before the line, but usually, once he hits a defender, he hits the floor. I think the after contact metres forwards make is a big thing in their impact. Players like Taumololo, Vaughn, JDB etc all make pretty good metres after hitting the line and it really gets the team on the front foot.

McGuire is a massive dickhead (his brothers too).

But you need someone like that sometimes in your team - to counter the other dick heads.

Would still prefer McGuire, he's putting up these numbers from the Lock position (He lost a bit of weight before the season so he could play longer and be more mobile), whilst he's not contributing as much as we'd like in the ball playing department, he's still far more valuable of a player than Wallace if you ask me.

McGuire - 63 mins, 16.9 runs, 157.1 metres, 37.4 tackles, 2.3 missed, 0.7 offloads.
Wallace - 58 mins, 15.4 runs, 146.5 metres, 32.6 tackles, 1.9 missed, 0.4 offloads.

I might need to go back and watch this but didn't that penalty give them a pretty good attacking position instead of trying to play out of their own half?

Would still prefer McGuire, he's putting up these numbers from the Lock position (He lost a bit of weight before the season so he could play longer and be more mobile), whilst he's not contributing as much as we'd like in the ball playing department, he's still far more valuable of a player than Wallace if you ask me.

McGuire - 63 mins, 16.9 runs, 157.1 metres, 37.4 tackles, 2.3 missed, 0.7 offloads.
Wallace - 58 mins, 15.4 runs, 146.5 metres, 32.6 tackles, 1.9 missed, 0.4 offloads.

What that does show is basically two things.

First - how good Wallace has been going. They are basically the same stats given minutes played and Wallace has had a few noticeable lifts in performance of late. The thing that puts him in my origin team is that he seems to lift against the better sides, just as he did for us in the 2015 GF, he was great that game and I think one of the things that started our whole discussion of whether he'd play origin, etc.

Second - McGuire is still basically playing as a prop, so put him back there.

What that does show is basically two things.

First - how good Wallace has been going. They are basically the same stats given minutes played and Wallace has had a few noticeable lifts in performance of late. The thing that puts him in my origin team is that he seems to lift against the better sides, just as he did for us in the 2015 GF, he was great that game and I think one of the things that started our whole discussion of whether he'd play origin, etc.

Second - McGuire is still basically playing as a prop, so put him back there.

Moose plays like one so yes, he's best at prop. For mine, a lock is most effective when he offloads, which is why I'd like to see Blair at lock and with Milford and Kodi/Hunt always close by when he gets the ball, ready for the offload Blair so often looks to get away.

Offloading should be coached into our forwards. Seems to me it isn't, rather, left up to the individual. To me that reduces the impact explosive runners like Milford can have on a game when trailing behind a forward who knows it.

I don't think offloads are what makes a lock different from a prop. I think in general, locks in the NRL are more workhorse like than the props. Players who coaches know can play longer minutes at high quality.

Besides, if you are looking for offloads, the 2nd rowers should be doing it more than the middle players. That's where the halves usually are, that's where the space are, so let Gillett/Glenn/Thaiday start doing it first.

To me, those stats show Wallace is better. Averages slightly more metres per hit up, and less missed tackles. The other stats are basically a given with the extra 5 minutes. Also, if you look at McGuire, he will make the tackle, but the guy he is tackling will make plenty of metres after contact. Wallace does a better job in one on one situations and doesnt get carried as far back as McGuire. Add to that Wallace is on roughly 2/3 of the amount of Money, I know who i'd prefer...

Active Now

• Battler
  • Volvo Driver
  • bb_gun
  • broncs30
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.