Korbin Sims to Red Hill

You need to play the right team with the right tactics that compliments either. Broncos have big backs to help take the load off the forwards in hit ups. Smaller more athletic forwards mean you can run down teams at the end. That means a high intensity running game with as little stoppages as possible.
The broncos have failed at times to make best use of their athleticism, spending multiple sets of 6 defending and then playing AdLib, all or nothing plays, leading to more defence in a spiral of exhaustive defence.
A big pack can get you out of trouble, when that happens early on, but if is less forgiving later in the halves and more vulnerable to smaller backs with good footwork.
Its a balancing act, but what matters is not the size of pack but how it can compete with its opponents. The bulldogs and their big skillful forwards can strike early but need a start-stop game. The broncos try and do the opposite, keeping kicks in play and constantly moving the ruck. Ideally if you can throw in repeat sets like Melbourne does, at will, the size becomes less important. They're forwards always look better there than when they leave for it.

You've never been a forward have you....only a back would make those comments. lol

Trust me, if the Broncs could choose between two blokes of reasonably equal athletic ability (not a 20 minute plodder), and one was 197 cm and 115 kgs and one was 180 cm and 100 kgs, they'll pick the big bloke.

Big, aggressive forwards win big matches.

I said 'Big, aggressive forwards beat small, mobile forwards every day of the week.'

The history of the game backs me up. All the smarts and brave ball skills in the world don't match sheer forward might. Having been the biggest forward in a small pack, I can tell you the game was much easier when I was the smallest forward in a big pack. And it was easier for everyone - including the halves, when you know that you can punch out 45 metres in 4 tackles; your mind set changes.

Also, watch us play the Cowboys over the last few years when they had Scott, Tamou and T'Lolo. Watch us play Melbourne the last few years. Why do we struggle to get out of our end? Because we (frankly) had a pack of marshmallows.

All things being equal, the big aggressive guys beats the small mobile guy most of the time.
Yeah maybe. There's still a lot of other elements to it than that tbf..

You've also got the best halves and tactical hooker in the league almost of all time in both those teams mentioned.

Wrestling and discipline with the ball also help. But the last time we played melb we went within seconds of winning. Same too with the cows in the gf. And melb last year we played out of the park by using the ball, asking constant questions of the D line (jets tactic almost)

So our style does hold up

You've never been a forward have you....only a back would make those comments. lol

Trust me, if the Broncs could choose between two blokes of reasonably equal athletic ability (not a 20 minute plodder), and one was 197 cm and 115 kgs and one was 180 cm and 100 kgs, they'll pick the big bloke.

Well yeah.. It's about a spectrum of body shapes and skills too. You don't want a team stacked with the same sort of player.

It's why we are starting to really complete. Sims Essesse TPJ. All providing punch. Post contact metres like I said before. Not to mention moose.

Who did we get to the Grand Final with?

Tell that to the Bulldogs.

Big, aggressive forwards only win big matches when they have the right attitude. Otherwise, they are about as useful as tits on a bull.

Most of them are just lard arses.

I'm talk about big fit aggressive guys....they win matches.

Much harder with a small pack. Ask any Tigers supporter.

Ps if you asked any of the Broncos forwards if they'd like to be 6 inches taller and 10 kegs heavier (with the same athletic ability) you reckon any of them say 'no'.

Most of them are just lard arses.

I'm talk about big fit aggressive guys....they win matches.

Much harder with a small pack. Ask any Tigers supporter.

Ps if you asked any of the Broncos forwards if they'd like to be 6 inches taller and 10 kegs heavier (with the same athletic ability) you reckon any of them say 'no'.
What a dumb post

Did we win?

No, the team with the bigger pack won as I recall.

Mate we dominated the Roosters a week before to get there who had a massive pack and should have won that game.

The team with the halfback who didn't drop the ball and give away a penalty for a lifting tackle too.

Why do people keep bringing up the penalty? Had no impact on the result.

Mate we dominated the Roosters a week before to get there who had a massive pack and should have won that game.

This.

We were taking down bigger packs along the way. Because we had the right attitude. We had the hunger.

Yeah because we played positively. We got a bit of luck early with the Boyd try and we never looked back. Macca's and Hunt's tries should never have been scored. They stayed alive, stayed in the play, kept pushing up supporting the man with the ball.

A week later we were kicking for touch with an hour to go.

Unread

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Broncosarethebest
  • heartly87
  • LittleDavey
  • Tim K
  • Shane Tronc
  • Midean
  • Allo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • bert_lifts
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • Skathen
  • Foordy
  • leon.bott
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Waynesaurus
  • Browny
  • Fitzy
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.