Round 9 - Cowboys v Broncos - Post-Match Discussion

Love or hate hook, he always had a quiet confidence in interviews that made it seem like (at least to him) that he had a plan and that he wasn't too worried about the future.

This was the first time I've seen him look completely defeated. He has the face of a man who just saw his career get trampled by Matt Scott.

I think hook is trolling Hodges.
Hodges over off season 'hoffman has all the qualities of one of the best wingers in the comp but lacks the passing game for 1'
"because we have no 6 I guess I could do it"

Hook "trololol ill put hoggman in 6

did you guys watch the full presser. griffin said he was disappointed in kennedy and it wasn't just one of those nights it happened last week as well

but seriously guys why don't we play to our player's strengths.
1. hoffman (for the first 70 meters so we get his kick returns and safety)
2. vidot (with him and hoffman we will have great starts to sets)
3. copley (sick of reed wasting scoring oppotunities)
4. hodges (with a switcheroo with hoffman which was very succesful last year)
5. maranta/kahu
6. barba (at the moment he is ONLY offering playmaking he loses 10m on every kick return. he also has a kicking game. there is no valid argument against it)
7. hunt
8. moose
9. macca
10. hannant (this starting combo worked last year and this year we have better bench forwards)
11. gillett
12. thaiday
13. parker

14. granville (i wouldn't mind trialling shifting macca to 6 when granville comes on but otherwise as he has been used)
15. oates (get this kid as much time as possible)
16. wallace (give him decent minutes)
17. hala (he can offer impcat something kennedy can't)

18 glenn (i think he made 2 hitups last night and isn't even good defensively)

did you guys watch the full presser. griffin said he was disappointed in kennedy and it wasn't just one of those nights it happened last week as well

How do you be disappointed in a bloke you pull after 20 minutes and then leave on the bench for the rest of the night? Who at that point had done the most defensive work of anyone on the park (21 tackles). Can someone explain to me how that is Kennedy's fault and not Griffin's?

Maybe the 3 runs he made didn't impress Griffin because he asked him for a big start and he still ran like a pillow? He did look better though and more energetic but maybe Griffin still thinks he's playing well under his potential.

If he drops Kennedy next week then we will know for sure.

griffin should have a stint in the qld cup. when players don't perform they get dropped. what about the coach? our bench is so poorly utilized

Kennedy may have racked up 20+ tackles but the bulk of them was just flopping in 3rd man in like Fitzgibbon. He made two bad mis-reads, one nearly lead to a try to Morgan which was held up by Barba and the other lead to a penalty to Curtis Rona.

He made two nice runs and then on the third, miss timed his run resulting in a forward pass and instead of playing to the whistle, gave up the ghost and had the ball raked out by Tamou.

He needs a stint in reggies quick smart.

Kennedy may have racked up 20+ tackles but the bulk of them was just flopping in 3rd man in like Fitzgibbon. He made two bad mis-reads, one nearly lead to a try to Morgan which was held up by Barba and the other lead to a penalty to Curtis Rona.

He made two nice runs and then on the third, miss timed his run resulting in a forward pass and instead of playing to the whistle, gave up the ghost and had the ball raked out by Tamou.

Exactly, Pete! I pointed this out earlier. His quality of play was very poor.

I think hook is trolling Hodges.
Hodges over off season 'hoffman has all the qualities of one of the best wingers in the comp but lacks the passing game for 1'
"because we have no 6 I guess I could do it"

Hook "trololol ill put hoggman in 6

nice, gonna start calling him that now instead of Glassman

Hoggman lol.

There is a difference though between a player who hoggs the ball and Hoff who runs it nearly all the time because he hasn't a clue what to do next.

He proved it at fullback for 2 years that he couldn't see the game well enough or early enough to make a decision and act on it, so our genius coach puts him in the most influential attacking position on the field.

Brilliant strategy, this hasn't been tried before let's give it a go, pick a 6 who can't pass or kick. Why not just pick a team full of backrowers and be done with it FFS.

If Hayne, who is light years ahead of Hoffman in terms of ball playing couldn't completely shift to a 5/8th, what chance does Hoffman have? I personally wouldn't have even called it an experiment, because there is only one outcome.

Hello all, first post for me. I cant agree with this anymore. 120kg and cant make a dent. His run are soft his tackles softer. This is the BIG BUY to give us size, power and aggression back into our forward pack.... when my mate an avid roosters man found out last year he called just to rub it in. "mate Andrew Gee is a idiot" he could not speak less of the bloke and to be honest watching the roosters I was never like oh no it fucking Kennedy on the field like teams would when Webke, Petro were on the field back in the day. Hannant being dropped was a joke and I am all for giving Wallace and halla a shot but boy it should have been 'Special K' who got the Jets uniform. I would not mind seeing some even younger front rowers get a shot Francis Molo maybe. I also think the Hof should be put on the sting and they bring a new 5/8 one of the youngsters give any of them a shot or put Barba there to stay and build a combination and let milford play fullback next year with half's combination that have games in them. Hof was a bad experiment that really has no aim, method or plausible outcome and Hook should be booted for this let alone the boring, predictable game plan that we have had for years now.

It's really so so simple. If you don't control the middle, you lose most of the time.

After last night, I'd rather Scott than Milford any day.

Except for Hannant and Parker, quite honestly, our front rowers are powder puffs. McGuire is a journeyman and a good workhorse, Wallace shows promise, but all in all, last night, against a quality front row, we just couldn't cut it.

Our backs for mine will come good as the combinations settle and Hook manages to get the timing and execution of the plays right, even with Hoffman at 5/8 and, provided Barba keeps evolving as our 2nd play maker, but, unless we control the middle (we will NEVER dominate it against the best packs), our backs will never have the platform to shine.

Without Hannant we are 2nd rate. As for Thaiday, his early form was good. Hope to have that energy back. He can make a difference when he plays with maximum energy and enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Absolutely I'd drop Barba, one or two flashes of brilliance in 8 rounds is not good enough for a first grader on the sort of biscuit that he is taking home each week. I'd push Hoffman back to fullback and bring Kahu back in, so Barba can sort out what ever the issue is that he's brought to Brisbane. He a quality player there is no doubt about that, but to suggest he is playing well and had his best game tonight airs delusion. You must have had one eye open, two good runs and just as many kicks, our last line of defence is like a turnstile. Defence is what Morgan put on Gillett.

Barba is being made to play a completely different style here, he will take time to perfect it but is improving every game. You want to drop him and remove the only playmaker we have besides hunt? Also the sort of biscuit he takes home is fairly minimal seeing he is on the low wage he was on at the bulldogs for the next two years

I agree our middle is very soft. One thing is we lack a grub in our team, hear me out before anyone says that's not how we play. Gordo was a grub to a degree , he took it to other packs. The forwards battle was personal, it meant something to him. As not making 10m a run and having less then 15 carries was personal to Shane Webke. McGuire is close at times but he lacks the intimidation factor at present. We need an aggressive pack leader, someone to stand up and take it personally when someone like Scott tramples over us. We cant have Gillet throw his arms up and stop chasing, Glenn making one good hit a game (shot on sims was very nice) and not do it again and Parker just needs to do more in the 1 presenters instead of protesting to refs.

The only thing that changes each week is the club we play. Same old shit every time.

We are such a fucking boring team. I am fucking sick of it. We are like a stale loaf of bread. I don't even care anymore, this team has taken all the life and passion out of my support over the last couple of years. It's depressing.

I nearly switched off after 30 odd minutes because it was obvious our game plan was the usual 'go through the motions' and hope for the best. I didn't though, and I'm watching on delay, so now I've wasted my night falling asleep watching us attempt to play footy.

Fucking sick of it. I'll keep watching and I'll keep supporting, but it's not even enjoyable anymore, it's just shit. It's a chore. I feel like I have to rather than want to.

Good night.

These are exactly my thoughts. I still love the broncos and always will. I'll never stop watching them but it honestly has become a chore. I miss the days where I couldn't wait until Friday night and would hate it when it got to full time because I would have to wait a whole week to see them again

Now i turn on the tv because I have to, hope we win knowing we probably won't, feel sad for the guys that are trying their guts out but constantly being let down by the coach and other players and have a massive since of relief at full time because my duty is done.

**** you griffin for what you have done. I honestly could not hate you more.

It's really so so simple. If you don't control the middle, you lose most of the time.

After last night, I'd rather Scott than Milford any day.

Except for Hannant and Parker, quite honestly, our front rowers are powder puffs. McGuire is a journeyman and a good workhorse, Wallace shows promise, but all in all, last night, against a quality front row, we just couldn't cut it.

Our backs for mine will come good as the combinations settle and Hook manages to get the timing and execution of the plays right, even with Hoffman at 5/8 and, provided Barba keeps evolving as our 2nd play maker, but, unless we control the middle (we will NEVER dominate it against the best packs), our backs will never have the platform to shine.

Without Hannant we are 2nd rate. As for Thaiday, his early form was good. Hope to have that energy back. He can make a difference when he plays with maximum energy and enthusiasm.

747.gif

...for the bold.

Your post is bang on though. Getting rolled through the middle = a loss 9 times out of 10.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Spoon
  • Lurker
  • Broncosarethebest
  • mieko
  • Bish
  • Fatboy
  • RolledOates
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.