Should the Broncos renew Hunt's contract

Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

• Total voters
Why would you play him when he was still an unknown ? Hunt was the better player (still is atm) so next best option, release him under the condition he gets a run in first grade . And then possibly bring him back .

If Bennett released him to the Titans expecting to get him back 12 months later, then that was a very poor decision by Bennett.

He released him because he was no chance at unseating Hunt anytime soon, and Bennett is not the type of coach to stand in a young players way, if they have a better chance at NRL footy.

and given that the club are trying very hard to get Hunt to re-sign, then the only hope of Taylor returning is if Hunt takes the money and runs ... and history suggests that is unlikely

Just because he didn't reach the same heights that he did in 2015 doesn't mean he was poor in 2015, he is still one of the top halfbacks in the NRL. and before you release him, there needs to be someone better that is willing to sign for you.

of the halfbacks off contract at the end of 2017, none of them are better than Hunt (with the exception of Cronk if he is off contract, but he is no chance of getting here anyway)

FTR, If Milford wants the type of cash that has been talked about him getting, then he needs to be our number 1 half and go-t0-guy ... not Hunt

He was poor in 2016. Stats don't tell the full story - it's decision making. The point is how long does Hunt get? Does he get 4 years because there is no-one better (in your mind) or do you take a chance on someone else if Hunt does not improve? Who knows who might explode this year and be a top Half by the end of the season. The point is, and I'm sure we can all agree, Hunt needs to improve and be consistent. Fix up the bad decisions he had made for three years on the trot as our play maker. As I said before, contracts aren't everything. Since this thread is about Hunt, we won't bother with the usual 'foward pack needs to do this or that' stuff that apologists use to not acknowledge that Hunt should be a much better kicker by now.

And of course, Milford needs to improve, and will. But obviously Milf needs a better decision making half with him to improve and learn to be the number one guy. The MilfHunter combo in 2015 was stunning. more of that please.

If Bennett released him to the Titans expecting to get him back 12 months later, then that was a very poor decision by Bennett.

He released him because he was no chance at unseating Hunt anytime soon, and Bennett is not the type of coach to stand in a young players way, if they have a better chance at NRL footy.

and given that the club are trying very hard to get Hunt to re-sign, then the only hope of Taylor returning is if Hunt takes the money and runs ... and history suggests that is unlikely

2016/17. Beyond that...

2016/17. Beyond that...

i suppose we could get rid of Hunt for a CHANCE that Taylor will become better than Hunt in more than one area.

but if Taylor doesn't reach his potential, then we will have made a huge mistake

Hunt has always been a bit player, he knows it's usually him on the last and he gets into position but that's all he seems to do...there never seems to be any thought or plan. It's usually a bomb...I want to see him gain three repeats in a row, that sort of thing....

Lol the talk around here is just incredible. So much butt-hurt over Hunt being a bad player and cost us the gf and needs to be this and needs to be that.

"Hunt should be a better kicker by now" "but man he was stunning in 2015" riiighht...... if he was so good in 2015 but no good in 2016 cause he's a terrible kicker... what did he do wrong in 2016 as apposed to 2015 when he, by logic, was still a shit kicker in your mind??

i suppose we could get rid of Hunt for a CHANCE that Taylor will become better than Hunt in more than one area.

but if Taylor doesn't reach his potential, then we will have made a huge mistake

Well if Hunt doesn't reach his (assuming he has more in him) won't we have done the same thing by sticking with him? As I said, it's a tricky situation. I'm happy to stick with Hunt and give him a chance.

I'm not in the Ash Taylor boat by the by. I don't prefer him to Hunt, but if Ash explodes this year, and Hunt stays at the same level, with the same mistakes, what would the opinion be then?

Hunt has always been a bit player, he knows it's usually him on the last and he gets into position but that's all he seems to do...there never seems to be any thought or plan. It's usually a bomb...I want to see him gain three repeats in a row, that sort of thing....

quick question ... would you rather a repeat set or a try. because Hunt is up the top of a try assists last season, he knows he hasn't got the strongest kicking game, but he has trust in his outside men, and he puts on plenty of trys inside the opposition 20.

and even when he does put in a good kick into the in-goal, the chase is usually shocking allowing the opposition to make it back to the field of play

Lol the talk around here is just incredible. So much butt-hurt over Hunt being a bad player and cost us the gf and needs to be this and needs to be that.

"Hunt should be a better kicker by now" "but man he was stunning in 2015" riiighht...... if he was so good in 2015 but no good in 2016 cause he's a terrible kicker... what did he do wrong in 2016 as apposed to 2015 when he, by logic, was still a shit kicker in your mind??

*edit: inappropriate* The question is what did he do RIGHT in '15 that he DIDN'T do in '16.

Think on that.

quick question ... would you rather a repeat set or a try. because Hunt is up the top of a try assists last season, he knows he hasn't got the strongest kicking game, but he has trust in his outside men, and he puts on plenty of trys inside the opposition 20.

and even when he does put in a good kick into the in-goal, the chase is usually shocking allowing the opposition to make it back to the field of play

And how many try assists lead to victories again?

Repeat sets lead to tries.

The chase is shocking because the chasers aren't familiar with it getting through as intended. They are more accustomed to Ben's speciality bombs..

Half jokes aside, our chase is usually terrible, usually with the high bombs when they actually do find a bit of distance and space. In '15 that wasn't as much of a problem..

The question is what did he do RIGHT in '15 that he DIDN'T do in '16.

Think on that.
Well the TEAM got to the finals again and AGAIN went down to golden point with last years' premiers... we had already beaten Melbourne during the regular rounds... we were close enough, just fell short!

If hunt was truly a problem, we wouldn't have made the finals. He's the bloody halfback!

You can't say we didn't win the premiership this year because of hunt. No way in the world you could make that argument..

You could argue he did in 2015! You could easily! it's been done, I'd understand that reasoning. I'd disagree it was all his fault, but I'd at least understand it.

But you're saying he was blisteringly brilliant in 2015 so you cant have it both ways! If anything he's more at fault in 15 than he was in 16! So tell me again how us not winning in 16 is because of Hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think people would be still very angry with Hunt if he had the highest amount of forced repeat sets but a shit number of try assists

Am just restating that someone ( who i think is a very good source) said Taylor was to return . I'm not saying i want one or the other , the only thing i want is a premiership. Am not worried who delivers it . I missed 06 so its been a long time between drinks!

I think people would be still very angry with Hunt if he had the highest amount of forced repeat sets but a shit number of try assists

I don't doubt that ....

In fact, I can imagine him scoring the first try of the season to bring up the clubs 3000th try ... only to have people complain that he didn't get a repeat set :pokeytongue:

Well the TEAM got to the finals again and AGAIN went down to golden point with last years' premiers... we had already beaten Melbourne during the regular rounds... we were close enough, just fell short! If hunt was truly a problem, we wouldn't have made the finals. He's the bloody halfback! You can't say we didn't win the premiership this year because of hunt. No way in the world you could make that argument.. you could argue he did in 2015! You could easily... it's been done, I'd understand that reasoning. I'd disagree it was all his fault, but I'd at least understand it. But you're saying he was blisteringly brilliant in 2015 so you cant have it both ways! If anything he's more at fault in 15 than he was in 16! So tell me again how us not winning in 16 is because of Hunt.

Am I making that argument? I am saying he was worse in '16 than '15. Self evident. You seem to be confusing yourself here. Hunt improved a lot towards the finals last year. We almost won the premiership in '15 largely because of Hunt, we didn't win in '15 largely because of Hunt.

'16 the whole team was down and Hunt did not improve on his '15 form. So yes, he contributed to not winning the comp. Not blaming him alone. He is meant to lead the team around though, and he did that much better in '15 than in '16.

I don't doubt that ....

In fact, I can imagine him scoring the first try of the season to bring up the clubs 3000th try ... only to have people complain that he didn't get a repeat set :pokeytongue:

Mate as long as he gets something.

Can we pull up the stat for useless kicks that gain no advantage for the team?

Am just restating that someone ( who i think is a very good source) said Taylor was to return . I'm not saying i want one or the other , the only thing i want is a premiership. Am not worried who delivers it . I missed 06 so its been a long time between drinks!

you may be right, but our own Smokin' Joe, who has a proven record of getting these things right has stated that Bennett and the club want hunt to be our long term halfback ...

at this stage, that's good enough for me

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • marw
  • Jedhead
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.