Should the Broncos renew Hunt's contract

Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

• Total voters
Re: Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

Nah, he's not good enough for a 3 year deal, and the Broncos know it.

Hunt does not have any standing to demand such a deal, especially after his 2016, and if he does... well, there's always Parra.

Considering the deals being offered to lesser players like Luke Brooks, Mitchell Moses and Corey Norman it's difficult to see clubs snubbing a player of Hunt's ability.

There aren't really going to be any realistic options on the market for about another 3 years anyway.

May as well give Hunt a 3 year deal to keep him at the club so another club doesn't come swooping in and snapping him up from under us and leaving us up shits creek.

Considering the deals being offered to lesser players like Luke Brooks, Mitchell Moses and Corey Norman it's difficult to see clubs snubbing a player of Hunt's ability.

Are we sure Norman is a lesser player? I hate to mention it because of how much I despised his efforts in a Broncos uniform, but it's at least arguable at this stage if we're primarily factoring in their 2016 form.

Edit: I'm sure I'll cop plenty for this comment, but I'm happy to stand by it, Norman was really good in 2016 at a shit show of a club.

Last edited:

Why would I base it on a small window of time? Norman's 2016 wasn't that great, in fact it ended horribly.

Why would I base it on a small window of time?

Not much else to do in the off-season, I'm not in the business of rating players on form they displayed 2 or 3 years ago, like the Hunt fans among us.

Norman's 2016 wasn't that great, in fact it ended horribly.

I mean of course his overall season wasn't good if you're factoring the suspension into his ability to play football for whatever reason, he was playing really good prior to the suspension, I watched quite a bit of Parra this year for whatever reason, he impressed me nearly every week.

I think we've got to hold him.

Hunt was some deficiencies in his game but he is dynamite when he plays to his strengths.

As often pointed out, the key issue is that he and Milford have similar qualities with neither quite filling our need for a reliable kicking game and both being a bit flaky under pressure.

Realistically though, there are few better options in the meagre, let alone on the market. The only half-backs I'd take for sure would be JT or Cronk. Cleary and Taylor look to be quality players and more conventional halfbacks, but Hunt still has my vote at this stage.

I really hope Benji and Roberts (potentially) light a fire under the Milf and Hunt. I don't expect either to seriously challenge but the threat of competition will help I think.

Basing the assessment primarily on one season isn't any better, especially given the factors surrounding Norman's season.

Regardless, there's going to be significant interest in Hunt and he's in a position where he's going to be after long-term security.

I hope that we hold Hunt he's a competitor and with a little bit more time and effort to his kicking game will light it up. Ps benji might show him a thing or 2.

S. Johnson had a shit season in 2016 and I don't think many would be calling for him to be released?
That 2015 GF would have rocked Hunt and I think that now he has a season between then and now will do wonders as far as "getting over it".
A new assistant coach and a few new faces at the club will also help. I still think that hunt has his best footy infront of him and we'd be crazy to let him go.

Johnson would be a backward step. Him and Milf in the same team would be a disaster as neither of them know how to control a team. Johnsons good games come when he has a decent organising half to alleviate all the pressure and Johnson is free to play his own football. Guys like Foran and Maloney have only really ever had successful combos with him and both are organising halves.

There is no way anyone in their right mind would want Hunt released. We could do with more players like him and Parker who don't want to play for any other team and are willing to make salary sacrifices to make it happen. Is he the best halfback in the comp? No he's not. But then you consider the best two halfbacks in the comp are light years ahead of everyone else and are both now pretty old comparatively, you start to realize that Hunt is not a bad option in any way, shape or form. He is right up there in the next echelon and will be for the next two-three years.

After that, target the likes of Taylor, Cleary or whoever emerges. Besides, contracts mean jack all these days so if he stagnates next year, he can be offloaded if need be but he won't, he is a very good player.

Nah unfortunately not haha, I tried to find a stat for forced goal line drop-outs etc, but couldn't find anything.
Not including finals series I believe Thurston and Taylor were tied for most dropouts forced at 28 or something. they mentioned it in a game on fox sports. I remember in 2015 when the storm got those like 14 against us and laughed because that was more than we had done in the entire season to that point.

Not including finals series I believe Thurston and Taylor were tied for most dropouts forced at 28 or something. they mentioned it in a game on fox sports. I remember in 2015 when the storm got those like 14 against us and laughed because that was more than we had done in the entire season to that point.

Whose fault is that? Is it Hunts fault we couldn't get out of our own half? How many chances in that game do you think Hunt got to force a dropout in that game? We won that game too because everyone including Hunt tackled their buts off.
Arguably our forwards are worse this year so don't be surprised to see repeats of that game (unless we pull a Napa out of our hat).

Ill take Hunt thanks. Based on 2016 Milf needs to improve far more than Hunt.

And we won that game

Ill take Hunt thanks. Based on 2016 Milf needs to improve far more than Hunt.

This. While Milford had 10 or so games where he was brilliant, he was bloody woeful for the rest of them.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.