Should the Broncos renew Hunt's contract

Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

• Total voters
Re: Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

I'm glad you asked, those 5 Warriors forwards I listed play an average of 333.7 minutes between them per game, whilst the 5 Broncos I listed only play 307.0 minutes between them per game, so our starting forward pack plays 25 less minutes on average yet makes 20 extra metres per game on average.

I believe that's what we call "Conclusive evidence" that the Warriors forward pack sucks ass and Shaun Johnson has similar circumstances to Ben Hunt, if not worse.
I have no idea which argument this statistic would support but the better metric of forward efficacy would be metres per run.

I am one of Hunt's bigger and more vocal critics, but releasing him right now is dumb.

I have always maintained 2017 is sink or swim for Ben, but there is no point releasing him now. We would gain nothing and no team would lose their starting HB in pre-season willingly.

Tell him straight, we expect to see improvements in xyz or we may have to look at the market - if Ben wants to stay at the broncos he will work on these things, if he feels hard done by or feels as if he doesn't need to improve those facets, then both parties are best off looking elsewhere.

I would like him to succeed and become the player we think he has the potential to be, but it's upto him, and at the end of the day you can have all the stats in the world that say he's not the problem - but if you can't kick to release pressure, can't game manage to ride out the last 10mins of a close one, cant stop yourself from having brain fades, well, you are the problem sadly (and there's only so long you can hold onto the "but we were x away from a gf win") - we didn't win, we didn't look like winning last year, and if he doesn't improve, we most likely won't win next year either - which goes back to the question of how long do you hold onto him? Not that long if he can't produce.

Milford needs a kick up the arse too for his last game alone.

Last edited:
Release was a poor choice of words, in hindsight it should read 'Should the Broncos renew Hunt's contract?'

I wonder just how many people fall under the 'Yes, but under certain conditions' bracket. There seems to be three or four among us and I'd like to see their Plan B if Hunt does in fact choose to leave.

Unbreakable was bold enough to give his take, I'd like to hear from others.

Here is my counter argument. Potential. Something something. Gus Gould. Game management. Mitchell Moses. Potential. Finals experience. Something something.

Brooks is hopeless. Moses & Tedesco paper over him quite a lot in the tigers team. Replacing Hunt with Brooks is taking 5 steps backwards.

he has had 3 years in the NRL to show the potential. he isn't the second coming of Andrew Johns. he is the second coming of Jarrod Mullen

I think I'd trust Phil Gould's opinion over anyone and he said he looks similar to Andrew Johns once and you know what that means? Expert level game management skills.

Edit: Sorry, I meant potential expert level game management skills.

Last edited:
It was interesting that some of the Tigers best performances came when Moses was injured and Brooks was forced to stand up. It suggests that the combination isn't quite gelling.

He's a quality player, shame he's being wasted at the Tigers.

Everyone keeps saying there isn't anyone better than hunt at the moment, whilst that may be true (as in players actually available/who would be interested in signing), you need to take in to account that not renewing hunt, would provide more salary cap space. Taylor signed a deal for what $350k or something? Hunt will be wanting around double that... That 300k ish could be the difference between being able to afford someone like Dylan Napa, and not being able to afford them. Similar could be said for someone like Tyrone Roberts, who would likely be even cheaper than Taylor, whilst he isn't as good with his running game, he may be just as suitable partner for Milford as Hunt is, and it could allow Napa. People seem to be forgetting how expensive Hunt will likely be...

Also I think this year if Hunt / Milford aren't performing, they could both see a week or two in Qcup. Last year Nikorima was injured and at times Macca as well so there was never a real solution to fill in the void. This year they have Nikorima and Benji and Macca seems fitter than ever as well so I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't firing that one of them spends some time in reserve grade, which could be a wake up call they need. I agree with previous comments saying that some games Milford was awful, but if you watch those games, it's the games where Hunt went missing so Milford had to do more. He was only 21/22 and it was his second year in the halves so I'm willing to forgive that, if he's still like that at 26/27 like someone else, then we worry...

Everyone keeps saying there isn't anyone better than hunt at the moment, whilst that may be true (as in players actually available/who would be interested in signing), you need to take in to account that not renewing hunt, would provide more salary cap space. Taylor signed a deal for what $350k or something? Hunt will be wanting around double that... That 300k ish could be the difference between being able to afford someone like Dylan Napa, and not being able to afford them. Similar could be said for someone like Tyrone Roberts, who would likely be even cheaper than Taylor, whilst he isn't as good with his running game, he may be just as suitable partner for Milford as Hunt is, and it could allow Napa. People seem to be forgetting how expensive Hunt will likely be...

No one is forgetting how much Hunt will cost.

I don't want Tyrone Roberts as our starting half.

Also I think this year if Hunt / Milford aren't performing, they could both see a week or two in Qcup. Last year Nikorima was injured and at times Macca as well so there was never a real solution to fill in the void. This year they have Nikorima and Benji and Macca seems fitter than ever as well so I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't firing that one of them spends some time in reserve grade, which could be a wake up call they need. I agree with previous comments saying that some games Milford was awful, but if you watch those games, it's the games where Hunt went missing so Milford had to do more. He was only 21/22 and it was his second year in the halves so I'm willing to forgive that, if he's still like that at 26/27 like someone else, then we worry...

Smokin Joe already told us we have the cap space for Napa without losing anyone, also Hunt is going nowhere.

Not including finals series I believe Thurston and Taylor were tied for most dropouts forced at 28 or something. they mentioned it in a game on fox sports. I remember in 2015 when the storm got those like 14 against us and laughed because that was more than we had done in the entire season to that point.

It actually would be funny. If it was true. But it's not.

Up until that game, Broncos had forced 16 line dropouts.

vs Cronulla - 1 (Hodges)
vs Warriors - 4 (Milford, Hunt x3)
vs Roosters - 1 (Hunt)
vs Dragons - 3 (Milford x3)
vs Panthers - 3 (Hunt x2, Boyd)
vs Knights - 1 (McCullough)
vs Sea Eagles - 3 (Hunt, Vidot, Glenn)

17 if you count the second by Hunt against the Sea Eagles in Round 13. They didn't actually end up taking the goal line dropout because the full time siren sounded.

Last edited:
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.