Bennett switches Boyd to centre to plug leaky defence

Strikes me as the last roll of the dice for this season. Weren't too many alternative solutions so I'm not going to label this switch as "genius" or claim that Bennett has miraculously had this season-changing idea. We were clearly not going to win much if we stuck to the original plan.

Regardless of how overdue this is, I am excited to see how Isaako goes at the back. What makes me most happy is that Kahu is now back on the wing where he belongs and that even if teams decide to target him he's got a great defender inside him who also happens to be a handy ball player.

If ever there was a time to encourage our forwards to offload and give Isaako a license to lurk around the ruck looking for second phase ball this would be it.

Between TPJ powering through, Isaako sniffing around, and Roberts and Milf looking for the odd offload, our attack should be potent as ****. Boyd has improved his support play the last few weeks, but Isaako just brings so much energy and vitality to the fullback role. I hope he kills it, and Boyd benefits with his excellent setup play, popping up here and there.

Yup, just pumped to have a potential support player. Boyd is non existent in support, so having a fast nippy guy sniffing around for offloads will be exciting.

Yup, just pumped to have a potential support player. Boyd is non existent in support, so having a fast nippy guy sniffing around for offloads will be exciting.
Will be interesting to see if the lack of support play was a player issue (Boyd) or tactics/coaching (lack of offloads, structured sweep plays, ect.)???

Why, because Bennett has finally done what I suggested ages ago? I'm alright, thank you for asking! :p

‘Suggested’, insisted that Bennett was too stubborn to make a change and that he would never ever move his ‘son’ Boyd and was the whole reason you were opposed to him coming back.

Same same.

This is good for everyone. Would not surprise me if Boyd wants this. It can extend his career. He was very good at centre last year in origin. His defense was great. Just hope Isaacko plays the house down also.

Boyd's first stint at the broncos finished at centre. I remember him as an excellent defender and great ball player. He was also a good support player with runs (though with his hamstring troubles that might not be the case anymore).

It’s no coincidence that broncos lock Isaako up for 4 years then announce his switch to fullback. They know how insane a fullback he is but didn’t wanna give rival poachers a sniff so waited till he was locked up before displaying his prowess. Broncos by 12. Isaako 1 try and 1 assist. Boyd 2 try assists to Oates.

‘Suggested’, insisted that Bennett was too stubborn to make a change and that he would never ever move his ‘son’ Boyd and was the whole reason you were opposed to him coming back.

Same same.
Bullshit, quote a single post where I said anything about son or any of that tripe?
I don't adhere by that nonsense, and respect the fact they have a close relationship, with my only concern being unintended nepotism, so I did indeed think Wayne wouldn't move him.

I can only be happy Bennett ended up agreeing with me about the move and hope it sticks.

The fact you want the emphasise I was wrong about Wayne doing it, instead of the fact he actually did, tells me all I need to know about your intellectual honesty.
I guess you do like to make a fool of yourself constantly with these gotcha moments, don't you?

Last edited:
I agree with most of this, especially the Ben Hunt part, but that last part is very unfair on most players.

Boyd is a "cat" without a doubt (in RL terms that is), but he's pretty much the only player in our team I would characterise that way. That is probably the reason for his consistency, longevity and lack of injury over his career.

I'm not going to say he's average, because he can very good as he showed in 2010 and last year, which earned him his caps (also by lack of competition) and his Broncos captaincy. I would've preferred to give it to Macca as I said at the time, but it was hard to argue against Boyd after last season, including his complete change in demeanour.

This year, he's back to the middle of the pack in terms of Fullbacks, with Slater, Turbo Tom, Tedesco, Holmes, Gutherson, French and even Hayne (yes, I know), all ahead of him imo, and if RTS pulls his finger out, he's better too.

I thought the contract value bandied about was a gee-up, and was even more surprised when people seemed to be ok with it, even if he is the incumbent Aussie FB and our captain. He's worth $500K at most, as a centre replacement for Moga.

I wouldn't mind trying Nikorima out as our FB next season, with Milf and Bird in the halves... see if we can make Kodi our Matty Bowen. (Yes, I know Boyd's dad will never make this happen)

Wow, you got me with a post from 2017. Take the W and go celebrate, you must be so proud!

I agree with most of this, especially the Ben Hunt part, but that last part is very unfair on most players.

Boyd is a "cat" without a doubt (in RL terms that is), but he's pretty much the only player in our team I would characterise that way. That is probably the reason for his consistency, longevity and lack of injury over his career.

I'm not going to say he's average, because he can very good as he showed in 2010 and last year, which earned him his caps (also by lack of competition) and his Broncos captaincy. I would've preferred to give it to Macca as I said at the time, but it was hard to argue against Boyd after last season, including his complete change in demeanour.

This year, he's back to the middle of the pack in terms of Fullbacks, with Slater, Turbo Tom, Tedesco, Holmes, Gutherson, French and even Hayne (yes, I know), all ahead of him imo, and if RTS pulls his finger out, he's better too.

I thought the contract value bandied about was a gee-up, and was even more surprised when people seemed to be ok with it, even if he is the incumbent Aussie FB and our captain. He's worth $500K at most, as a centre replacement for Moga.

I wouldn't mind trying Nikorima out as our FB next season, with Milf and Bird in the halves... see if we can make Kodi our Matty Bowen. (Yes, I know Boyd's dad will never make this happen)

Gotcha !!!

gotcha.png

Mate any other coach would have moved or benched Boyd after first 6 rounds he was so god awful and obviously unfit.

While I agree perhaps a little childish with the daddy comments there seems to be kernel of truth.

This move while very welcome is what a lot of us have been saying for half a season or much longer. A move Walters thought of over a year ago at origin level. But let’s wait and see how this develops. For all we know Isaako as a rookie player will be hung out to dry. Broncs defence has been made so dependent on Boyd be hard for Isaako to get control with very limited prep in a game or two when season is on the line, lot of injuries upsetting structure, no control in the halves most of the time and with Boyd in the shadows.

As for all this rubbish about no options at fullback beside Boyd prior to Isaako showing his promise. We did buy a guy called Milford right pretty sure he played fullback once or twice?

Mate any other coach would have moved or benched Boyd after first 6 rounds he was so god awful and obviously unfit.

While I agree perhaps a little childish with the daddy comments there seems to be kernel of truth.

This move while very welcome is what a lot of us have been saying for half a season or much longer. A move Walters thought of over a year ago at origin level. But let’s wait and see how this develops. For all we know Isaako as a rookie player will be hung out to dry. Broncs defence has been made so dependent on Boyd be hard for Isaako to get control with very limited prep in a game or two when season is on the line, lot of injuries upsetting structure, no control in the halves most of the time and with Boyd in the shadows.

As for all this rubbish about no options at fullback beside Boyd prior to Isaako showing his promise. We did buy a guy called Milford right pretty sure he played fullback once or twice?
1 Milford
2 Oates
3 Boyd
4 Roberts
5 Isaako
6 Bird
7 Nikorima

This would be fun. For fans of other teams to watch

people need to be careful not to get too excited by the move ... Bennett's exact words were "this is not permanent"

people need to be careful not to get too excited by the move ... Bennett's exact words were "this is not permanent"

Doesn't want to sound silly after the Nikorima comments. Painted himself into a corner there

Active Now

• Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.