NEWS Bennett turns up heat on Broncos

If Bennet was a smaller man he would have taken the money Parramatta was offering. He would have a far larger pay deal.
But he would love to see the club left in good hands (more specifically the players). He'd need to make sure he isn't walking into another Newcastle or what poor Dean pay has had to deal with. Lastly he'd want to leave the job in a good place.
This time next year, a lot of those efforts he started with junior development will start to bear fruit.
I'm sure he'd love to see some of those start under his reign.

What offer Parra made? The one the media made up?

WB has been class all the way, as usual
He looked after himself first and foremost and he’s now trying to blackmail the club into reappointing him.

That’s not class.

He looked after himself first and foremost and he’s now trying to blackmail the club into reappointing him.

That’s not class.

Mate, I have seen some twisted views on this site, but that about takes the cake. Let's address your post, he put himself first and foremost? How did he do that, by saying that he would honour his contract (you know that legal agreement that he has with his employer, that stipulates he would be coaching the side next year)? How else do you say that he has looked after himself? By the way, you do realize that the club always had the option of just paying him out if they were set upon replacing him?

Second point, he is blackmailing the club into reappointing him??? Wow, tinfoil hat time here. He must have photos of all of the board members with goats or something eh, and be threatening to publish them? How about, he has put a proposal to the club about an extension to his contract with a plan for succession?? Yep, that is really socking it to them, you had better take that proposal up or I will ......?????

I will not post my further thoughts on your post.

That’s not class.

How did he look after himself? What exavtly did he do in any of this?

That’s not class.
That's bullshit. He signed a contract for next year, he has every intention of fulfilling it as he should. The club at any point can pay out his contract. Would you give up a year's salary for no reason other than some misguided attempt to be "noble"? It's a business, the club can absolutely afford a payout and the option is available to them.

Looking after himself first and foremost would have him sign with another club for years from 2019 and watch the club scramble for whatever shit coaches are on the market.

I can only assume Brent is talking about the Dragons and Knights moves. What that has to do with us here and now I'm not sure. I literally can't see an issue with Bennett in this current situation beyond saying he was going to honour his contract and coach in 2019. Which I seem to recall White came out and stated when the news first broke. "Wayne will see out his contract and be coaching the club in 2019" words to that effect.

Some moronic fans wanted Bennett to 'do the honorable thing' and 'fall on his sword.'

Y'know let management off the hook because we have this curly problem of Bellamy being off contract this year and Wayne still having a year to go.

The same management that gave Bennett an extension a year or so ago but didn't crunch the numbers back then on a possible replacement now.

Yet they're being lauded for thinking of the future now? Um...what?

Management bungled this. I think they also failed to understand both Bennett and Bellamy.

One thing all parties agree on is Bennett is coaching in 2019. Sorry Bennett haters - he's not gonna do the honorable thing.

Bellamy is a perfectionist and workaholic. Pretty much in his own self-described words so this nonsense of sitting out a year was also pie in the sky stuff and wishful thinking.

Management bungled this.

How? Just to be clear, I'm not saying they have or haven't dones so, I just don't know. There are a lot of comments like this being thrown around based on posters doing what journalists do and adding 1 + 2 and getting 14.

I mean, if I want to throw speculation around, I could say it is a genius move as now other coaches know the greatest club in the NRL (in terms of resources, profile, finances) is a possibility to run from 2020, that could be very enticing for a Seibold / Walters / Cleary given Bellamy was likely never going to leave Melbourne and is not far from retirement himself. The Broncs are effectively saying 'who wants it?'

See, that's exactly what speculation is, speculation.

How? Just to be clear, I'm not saying they have or haven't dones so, I just don't know. There are a lot of comments like this being thrown around based on posters doing what journalists do and adding 1 + 2 and getting 14.

I mean, if I want to throw speculation around, I could say it is a genius move as now other coaches know the greatest club in the NRL (in terms of resources, profile, finances) is a possibility to run from 2020, that could be very enticing for a Seibold / Walters / Cleary given Bellamy was likely never going to leave Melbourne and is not far from retirement himself. The Broncs are effectively saying 'who wants it?'

See, that's exactly what speculation is, speculation.

Mainly because of the year discrepancy with their respective contracts.

It's simple numbers. Bellamy is off contract this year. Bennett has a year to go.

I think the Broncos are very naive if they thought he would sit out a year or that he would accept a one year deal at the storm or wherever.

The situation was untenable right from the start and they again very naive if they thought an approach for 2020 that was rejected would not be leaked to the press.

Purely based on watching Bellamy I never got the impression he genuinely wanted to leave the storm. I don't think the Storm really wanted to lose him. This has played out pretty much as I expected it to.

Not sure why you're having a crack at speculation. It's the fuel that's driving BHQ these days.

It's simple numbers. Bellamy is off contract this year. Bennett has a year to go.

I think the Broncos are very naive if they thought he would sit out a year or that he would accept a one year deal at the storm or wherever.

The situation was untenable right from the start and they again very naive if they thought an approach for 2020 that was rejected would not be leaked to the press.

Purely based on watching Bellamy I never got the impression he genuinely wanted to leave the storm. I don't think the Storm really wanted to lose him. This has played out pretty much as I expected it to.

Not sure why you're having a crack at speculation. It's the fuel that's driving BHQ these days.

Yeah fair point there, I'm more having a crack at the absolutes getting thrown around in the media / on here (very much NOT directed at you). One of my pet peeves comes from opinion being bandied around as fact and then insults accompanying any responses to those hypotheticals. It happens in the media, it happens on here constantly. Just not sure why we can't all be just a little nicer with each other, Broncs fans are all on the same side aren't they?

Yeah fair point there, I'm more having a crack at the absolutes getting thrown around in the media / on here (very much NOT directed at you). One of my pet peeves comes from opinion being bandied around as fact and then insults accompanying any responses to those hypotheticals. It happens in the media, it happens on here constantly. Just not sure why we can't all be just a little nicer with each other, Broncs fans are all on the same side aren't they?

Yeah for sure mate. Definitely not having a go at you. There was a lot of media interest in this story and most of it was total B.S.

Let me put into context a bit where I'm coming from:

Believe it or not - I didn't follow most of the media coverage. My exposure to the NRL these days is watching the Broncos play, the occasional highlights package and a Thursday or Sunday arvo game it it happens to catch my interest.

Rabbitohs are playing good footy. I like their positive style of play.

I tuned into Origin after giving up on it as both teams had a lot of fresh faces so I knew we'd get a very different game to previous years.

I don't watch Fox League - I don't even have a Pay TV subscription - cancelled it years ago. My exposure to NRL 360 mainly consists of whoever here uploads a clip - massive thanks to the bloke who posted Paul Crawley coming out swinging for WB! Absolute champ whoever that was! I knew guys like Paul Kent were dribblers years ago and with the general decline of the standard of the NRL I decided I didn't want to spend my hard earned on it anymore.

It's kinda weird - people despise guys like Rothfield, Paul Kent, Webster, whoever and whinge about them and yet will still tune in every week to hear what they have to say.

Weird.

Who gives a **** what they say? That's what I think.

My opinion of this situation is based purely on what Bennett and Bellamy said. Straight from the horse's mouth. It was pretty obvious Bellamy didn't really want to head north and Bennett wants to stay.

Agree @Sproj with your last point too. I think a lot of fans need to learn the forgotten art of 'water off a duck's back.'

Who gives a **** what journos think? Or Israel Folau? Or Robert de Niro?

Enjoy a win. Not get too upset about a loss. It's on again next week.

Yeah for sure mate. Definitely not having a go at you. There was a lot of media interest in this story and most of it was total B.S.

Let me put into context a bit where I'm coming from:

Believe it or not - I didn't follow most of the media coverage. My exposure to the NRL these days is watching the Broncos play, the occasional highlights package and a Thursday or Sunday arvo game it it happens to catch my interest.

Rabbitohs are playing good footy. I like their positive style of play.

I tuned into Origin after giving up on it as both teams had a lot of fresh faces so I knew we'd get a very different game to previous years.

I don't watch Fox League - I don't even have a Pay TV subscription - cancelled it years ago. My exposure to NRL 360 mainly consists of whoever here uploads a clip - massive thanks to the bloke who posted Paul Crawley coming out swinging for WB! Absolute champ whoever that was! I knew guys like Paul Kent were dribblers years ago and with the general decline of the standard of the NRL I decided I didn't want to spend my hard earned on it anymore.

It's kinda weird - people despise guys like Rothfield, Paul Kent, Webster, whoever and whinge about them and yet will still tune in every week to hear what they have to say.

Weird.

Who gives a **** what they say? That's what I think.

My opinion of this situation is based purely on what Bennett and Bellamy said. Straight from the horse's mouth. It was pretty obvious Bellamy didn't really want to head north and Bennett wants to stay.

Agree @Sproj with your last point too. I think a lot of fans need to learn the forgotten art of 'water off a duck's back.'

Who gives a **** what journos think? Or Israel Folau? Or Robert de Niro?

Enjoy a win. Not get too upset about a loss. It's on again next week.

Outrageous, with views like that you do not belong on this site. Imagine if common sense like that was to take root here, it would be terrible.

That’s not class.

You got no idea what's in the proposal he presented to the board. All the answers Benett has given to the press have been class, because he hasn't painted the club or himself into a corner.

If you think a proposal is blackmail with no information on the content then you're just jumping to conclusions.

If we have the greatest coach off all time as plan B. Why exactly do we need a plan A?

So how long do we give him to win us another title before looking elsewhere ...

By 2020 when Bellamy would have started, Bennett would have been back 5 years ...

see i disagree ...

what they could have very easily done is sign Bellamy for 2019 to be in charge of recruitment ... most coaches inherit their team, but he would then have a head start on getting the team he wants for 2020 when he starts his coaching role ...

Last edited:
see i disagree ...

what they could have very easily done is sign Bellamy for 2019 to be in charge of recruitment ... most coaches inherit their team, but he would then have a head start on getting the team he wants for 2020 when he starts his coaching role ...

Nah mate.

Respectfully I disagree. Any notion of Bellamy coming up north, in any capacity, other than as a full time coach is nonsense.

Respectfully I disagree.

That’s not class.
Please detail how he did this and also explain how you know things that weren't reported (only those things proven factually correct as well)

Some moronic fans wanted Bennett to 'do the honorable thing' and 'fall on his sword.'

Y'know let management off the hook because we have this curly problem of Bellamy being off contract this year and Wayne still having a year to go.

The same management that gave Bennett an extension a year or so ago but didn't crunch the numbers back then on a possible replacement now.

Yet they're being lauded for thinking of the future now? Um...what?

Management bungled this. I think they also failed to understand both Bennett and Bellamy.

One thing all parties agree on is Bennett is coaching in 2019. Sorry Bennett haters - he's not gonna do the honorable thing.

Bellamy is a perfectionist and workaholic. Pretty much in his own self-described words so this nonsense of sitting out a year was also pie in the sky stuff and wishful thinking.

I wonder if maybe just maybe Bellamy wasn't the first choice? Maybe Green was or Walters? Maybe those plans fell through when Walters signed a new deal with the QRL to coach the maroons and Green stayed on at the Cowboys? There are alot of maybes and assumptions being thrown around.

Could Bennett's plan involve a one year coaching extension with a succession plan that has Walters taking over in 2021 seeing as his Maroons contract runs out in 2020 and Bennett taking on a Gould type roll...

But hey let's just instead go off like a pork chop... so much more logical right?

Last edited:

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Financeguy
  • johnny plath
  • Lurker
  • Sproj
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Xzei
  • HarryAllan7
  • broncos4life
  • Ras
  • Fitzy
  • bert_lifts
  • Dash
  • Harry Sack
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.