Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

I am going to assume you are just being sarcastic/trying to be funny.

ha ha.
No I'm not being sarcastic or trying to be funny. Billy Walters isn't a consistent quality dummyhalf and I believe he's a weak link in the chain. He had maybe 5 or 6 good games all year and when he come back on in the grandfinal, he was a big part of the reason we went down hill.

No I'm not being sarcastic or trying to be funny. Billy Walters isn't a consistent quality dummyhalf and I believe he's a weak link in the chain. He had maybe 5 or 6 good games all year and when he come back on in the grandfinal, he was a big part of the reason we went down hill.
What!?! He's got better and better all year, and his performance in the finals series was top class (that game against the Warriors comes to mind). Even non-bronco experts like Slater and Elias have talked about how good and important he has been for us. Wasn't he rated pretty high even here on the weekly player ratings? In a team full of superstar's, can't be doing that if he's that bad.

I don't understand 😕

I agree smoothy should have stayed on as it suited the flow of the game and smoothy was playing well (not Walters bad) but the rest is complete and utter bs. You want harry grant there and then latrell Mitchell in the centres? Maybe kikau 2nd row, bid for AFB too while we are at it. Walters is HUGE value for money

What!?! He's got better and better all year, and his performance in the finals series was top class (that game against the Warriors comes to mind). Even non-bronco experts like Slater and Elias have talked about how good and important he has been for us. Wasn't he rated pretty high even here on the weekly player ratings? In a team full of superstar's, can't be doing that if he's that bad.

I don't understand 😕
I suppose you need to ask yourself who makes a better judge of what it takes to be a hooker in the NRL ... kman or Cam Smith (who gave Billy plenty of wraps in 2023)

I was never a fan of Billy Walters, but I'll be the first to concede he's definitely played his way into this roster, and deserves to be there. This year the boys put together some great football, and going forward I'm one excited fan who can't wait to see what the Kevolution can produce. Lets go Broncos.

I dont buy into the nepotism stuff, i give kevie more credit than that. I thought Billy was really good this year. He and smoothy were our best defensive hookers and their attack grew as the season progressed.

I like paix and was really rooting for him but rewatching games, for someone who says their strength is their running game, he very rarely ran and his defence was not up to par. I know he was trying to "catch and wrap" players like cam Smith did, but smith reduced the attackers momentum, landed on top in the tackle and controlled/slowed the ruck, all which paix was not doing. This led to teams getting on the front foot and making big metres.

I think you need players like Billy and smoothy to keep the cap balanced. You can't have superstars everywhere. You need those good honest players who have got there with hard work and had to develop their footy IQ as opposed to strength, speed etc..

Perhaps your disliking(?) of Billy making you think that way but hands down Billy is the most improved player this year. He deserves the credit but not the animosity. We’ll have a father son combo next year who will hold the Premiership trophy. Period!

I dont buy into the nepotism stuff, i give kevie more credit than that.
Doesn't matter what label you call hiring your relative, but it will always put you under this kind of scrutiny. It was a big risk for Kevvie, given that Billy was unproven in the role and started every game. He stood to lose his job over it. But it paid off.

Nothing wrong with a bit of family history within a club, though. Look at the outrage over losing Sam Walker.

Perhaps your disliking(?) of Billy making you think that way but hands down Billy is the most improved player this year. He deserves the credit but not the animosity. We’ll have a father son combo next year who will hold the Premiership trophy. Period!
Yes, he was definitely the most improved. If he weren't, Kevvie might be out of a job now.

He would be the weak link in a chain composed of Reece Walsh, Ezra Mam and Adam Reynolds. That's a pretty ominous spine. But it wasn't the case in the Grand Final. Unfortunately Adam Reynolds was the weak link. And I say that with a heavy heart.

I can't blame Billy alone for the collapse in the last ten minutes, but I do agree (and have said it many times) he's been lackluster coming off the bench in a second stint. Maybe that's where he needs to improve this season.

He's not going anywhere, for better or worse. But his success is Kevvie's success and vice versa. I hammered this point last pre-season, when Kevvie was under the pump and didn't need this kind of risk. I don't think I was wrong to worry, but Kevvie got it right.

Hostplus Cup Team of the Year
Fullback - Tristan Sailor (Souths Logan Magpies)

Winger - Jordan Pereira (Souths Logan Magpies)

Centre - Deine Mariner (Wynnum Manly Seagulls)

Five-eighth - Josh Rogers (Wynnum Manly Seagulls)

Halfback - Jack Campagnolo (Souths Logan Magpies)

Prop - Bailey Butler (Central Queensland Capras)

Hooker - Trey Brown (Central Queensland Capras)

Second rower - Jacob Alick (Burleigh Bears)

Lock - Sam Coster (Burleigh Bears)

The Bronco's have lots of backs performing well in the QLD cup.
So who will be the backup second rowers?

Hostplus Cup Team of the Year
Fullback - Tristan Sailor (Souths Logan Magpies)

Winger - Jordan Pereira (Souths Logan Magpies)

Centre - Deine Mariner (Wynnum Manly Seagulls)

Five-eighth - Josh Rogers (Wynnum Manly Seagulls)

Halfback - Jack Campagnolo (Souths Logan Magpies)

Prop - Bailey Butler (Central Queensland Capras)

Hooker - Trey Brown (Central Queensland Capras)

Second rower - Jacob Alick (Burleigh Bears)

Lock - Sam Coster (Burleigh Bears)

The Bronco's have lots of backs performing well in the QLD cup.
So who will be the backup second rowers?
Aren't Burleigh signed to us now

I still dont think Billy is great, but he did a fine job at the back end of the year.
I agree with this. Yes Billy improved, but I think he improved due to the ample opportunities he had to hold down that spot. (Which others weren’t afforded)

I recon Smoothy is almost underrated in some respects, I admire his composure compared to Billy. I think Billy looks a bit frantic at times, he’ll run when I think it’s not needed but then occasionally he’ll pull something off and surprise me.

I think Smoothy starting and Mozer off the bench could potentially be more dangerous, but at this current moment Billy deserves to hold onto his spot unless injury or so.

Billy Walters played his way into the team because he was the only player that Kevin had to play. 2024 all our players get a fresh start and another full preseason. I wouldn't give Billy a spot in the 17 unless he has truely earned it. I would give the spots to the 2 best trainers and the 2 best players out of all 4 in the preseason trials.

Active Now

• Scdeac
  • Sproj
  • lynx000
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Broncos Maestro
  • kiwibronco
  • Waynesaurus
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • mitch222
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • simplythebest
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.