11 C. Lewis 0 0 0 0 0 0 28 3 0 7 0 0 0m 44m 1 1
17 J. Howarth 0 0 0 0 1 0 23 1 0 10 0 0 0m 72m 0 0
13 J. King 0 0 0 0 0 0 30 1 0 9 0 0 0m 66m 1 0
14 S. Fa'alogo 2 8 0 2 5 0 1 0 0 14 0 0 0m 117m 0 0
15 A. MacDonald 0 0 0 0 0 0 21 2 0 8 0 0 0m 72m 0 0
16 A. Pene 0 0 0 0 1 0 15 1 0 11 0 0 0m 105m 0 0
19 J. Chan 0 0 0 0 0 0 10 1 0 5 0 0 0m 48m 0 0
21 C. Geyer 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0

So many doomers lol. Last night means jack shit. The boys will fire up and we will destroy everyone. Walsh, reyno, mam, patty and Payne masterclass incoming.
The only people who come off worse from last night are Madden and Kevvie.

Madden was truly woeful, he showed no ball playing ability, and put in some real low IQ pointless kicks. Rogers showed more last night than Madden has in his career.

Kevvie's bench was horrid, and if we picked an extra forward instead of 3 hookers, we likely don't get destroyed up the middle, and are a good chance of winning.

I don't know about gloom and doom. We all know both clubs fielded a seconds team. We all know we fielded the weaker one. And we all know we lost (yet again). But we all hope our firsts team can progress through the finals regardless. The whole experience was thorougly dickless and left a bad taste.

For me there were a few slightly worrying takeaways that probably don't amount to a whole lot:

1. Our backs depth might not be as strong as I imagined. I think all the players could individually plug a gap but none looked like Kevvie has been holding them back from being selected. I can't see Pereira getting renewed.​
2. We looked by far the better team in the opening 20. And then we got gassed. By the end we looked the weaker side.​
3. Madden has a handy boot, and inside Mam might get the job done, but neither he nor Rogers are looking like our next generation of playmakers. It's all looking a bit Brodie Croft.​
4. I'm not as down on our three backup hookers as many here are, but again none set the world on fire. Mozer is probably ready but he didn't press his case hard enough to oust Smoothy. Neither did Paix.​
5. Which leads to the bench: Grant's ability to play 80 means Melbourne have the luxury of Papenhuyzen from the interchange. We don't have anyone of that calibre outside our 13, and we're a long way off being able to inject a world class back from the bench. We have Smoothy or Walters for spark.​
6. To add insult, that dancing kid is now Melbourne's third ranked fullback after Meaney and Papenhuyzen. Sailor was probably our best, but he wasn't as impressive as those two. We won't see the kid again this season. Nor Sailor, probably.​
7. As our most senior player, who is vying for a pay upgrade, Oates did not rise to the occasion.​
8. Piakura belongs in our top 17. **** knows what he'll be charged with and whether he'll be available. It would be handy to have Willison too.​
9. Te Kura should've come on with Mozer to try their routine in first grade. We were robbed of that. And for what?​
Grant does not play 80 minutes. In fact Storm have been keeping him on the bench for the first 20 to allow him to come on fresh and cause havoc a la block of cheese runs from dummy half. So not sure where your reasoning came from there.

Papsmear looks a long long way from NRL fitness. Our Q cup made him look almost ready but that flattered to deceive. He will be on the bench and brought on for the last 10 of each half in the hope his speed can create an opening. This also means their bench will be only really rotating two as he also needs to get harry on after 20.

I'm fully convinced we'll do them and it will be convincing too.

Seriously, judging players on last night's game and saying they aren't up to it is ridiculous. There were few to no combinations out there and we were two decisions going the other way from winning.

And it is quite humourous to see posters saying Oates should be dropped because of last night but Arthars should replace him. I mean it can be one thing for Oates and another for Arthars. Arthars also was poor last night and the stats back it up. At least ne consistent on it. If we are basing things on last night, at least Oates tried to get back and help defend on a few of the breaks, Arthars did jack all.

Last night means nothing, stop writing players off because of it.

No he Fucken isn't, fight me ****.

oh wait I thought you where talking about walsh lmao.

would literally fight a **** who thought Walsh would be Milford.

Imagine what you'd do to people claiming Niu was better than Walsh haha.

The replacement players that came in for the main team are handy depth players. They will plug a gap and do a good job when coming into the regular team.

However, when multiple depth players are put in together and expected to replace our best players, it's always going to be a tough ask, especially for 80 minutes.

Even having half the regular spine would have been enough to support the replacement guys that came in.

All in all they did pretty well. I am expecting the regular guys will be plenty motivated to avenge the loss next week.

Except the times he didn`t .
#1 didn`t catch the bomb . #2 ran toward the side line and got dragged onto touch . Both led to tries shortly after . Simple shit you need to get right at NRL level .

The bomb was a breakdown of communication, Periera was in a better position anyway

going over the line was him trying to create something with time running out. We were gassed and no one else was standing up can’t fault him for that

I didn't have an real expectations going into that game. I'm probably left feeling a little flat off the hope someone might have stood up and owened the game. Years gone by our deapth would have been destroyed so we've come along way.

The Piakura reports and Willison injury are the exact reason we rested everyone That could of happened to Patty, Hass or a Walsh so good decision by Kev. I'm a little frustrated at Piakura, he brings a bit of an x factor off the bench and could see him being a point of difference for us in the finals. A bench of two middles a hooker plus Piakura provides good ballance.

NRL.com has oates running for 190 meters which is surprising. He doesn't seem to have come back well from his injuries. Speed is non existent and didn't appear to poke his nose through the line as normal. I don't think Arthur's did enough to take the spot off Oates though.

I know alot of people aren't scared of playing Melbourne in the finals given the form we are in. But i honestly want to avoid them at all costs. It doesn't matter what 13 players each team send out we just cannot match them. Its similar to NSW against QLD, doesn't matter how many guns NSW have for whatever reason QLD become super human when we play them and beat them.

I understand if you want to win the comp you need to he able to beat any team in the comp. But surely there is no one who can hand on heart say if we play Melbourne next week they are confident we can beat them.

One last point on Paps. I know he's only fresh back but he doesn't seem to have the "zip" yet that he had pre injury. The try they scored where he was in the clear and gave the final ball, old paps would have pinned his ears back and scored himself.

I didn't have an real expectations going into that game. I'm probably left feeling a little flat off the hope someone might have stood up and owened the game. Years gone by our deapth would have been destroyed so we've come along way.

The Piakura reports and Willison injury are the exact reason we rested everyone That could of happened to Patty, Hass or a Walsh so good decision by Kev. I'm a little frustrated at Piakura, he brings a bit of an x factor off the bench and could see him being a point of difference for us in the finals. A bench of two middles a hooker plus Piakura provides good ballance.

NRL.com has oates running for 190 meters which is surprising. He doesn't seem to have come back well from his injuries. Speed is non existent and didn't appear to poke his nose through the line as normal. I don't think Arthur's did enough to take the spot off Oates though.

I know alot of people aren't scared of playing Melbourne in the finals given the form we are in. But i honestly want to avoid them at all costs. It doesn't matter what 13 players each team send out we just cannot match them. Its similar to NSW against QLD, doesn't matter how many guns NSW have for whatever reason QLD become super human when we play them and beat them.

I understand if you want to win the comp you need to he able to beat any team in the comp. But surely there is no one who can hand on heart say if we play Melbourne next week they are confident we can beat them.

One last point on Paps. I know he's only fresh back but he doesn't seem to have the "zip" yet that he had pre injury. The try they scored where he was in the clear and gave the final ball, old paps would have pinned his ears back and scored himself.
The ideal scenario is to avoid Melbourne throughout the entire finals series. Not saying we cannot beat them, but they have always been an issue for us with their grubby wrestling style. Their slowing down defensive style often nullifies our attacking style which can frustrate us and can lead to silly mistakes. When we aren't being allowed to play football we can self-destruct, and Melbourne always capitalise on our mistakes or pull off some flukey tries, which is maddening.

However the biggest reason I hate playing Melbourne is that I am always worried about our players getting injured when playing them. Their win-at-all-cost mentality means they often play with grubby tactics. They all turn into thugs and are given instructions to 'intimidate' with late shots, twists in the tackles, judo moves, etc. which if done to Reynolds, Walsh, Carrigan, etc could seriously derail our finals campaign.

However, if we must play Melbourne, then first week of the finals is probably the best time to do it, rather than in the grand final qualifier. If we win, we get the week off to rest up, and if we lose we have another chance to reset.

My take, some inexperience and less of an extent fitness. If a few passes stuck the score is flipped and fitness doesn't come into play.
First game we've lost getting to 20pts first in awhile.

Grant does not play 80 minutes. In fact Storm have been keeping him on the bench for the first 20 to allow him to come on fresh and cause havoc a la block of cheese runs from dummy half. So not sure where your reasoning came from there.

Papsmear looks a long long way from NRL fitness. Our Q cup made him look almost ready but that flattered to deceive. He will be on the bench and brought on for the last 10 of each half in the hope his speed can create an opening. This also means their bench will be only really rotating two as he also needs to get harry on after 20.

I'm fully convinced we'll do them and it will be convincing too.
How many minutes did Grant play last two times he faced us?

However, if we must play Melbourne, then first week of the finals is probably the best time to do it, rather than in the grand final qualifier. If we win, we get the week off to rest up, and if we lose we have another chance to reset.

I don't know exactly how it shakes out, but if we play Melbourne first up and beat them, ideally they then have to play the Knights and they are out in straight sets.

I know we had a reserve line-up but still pretty disappointing game. They may not have the experience of the starting line-up but you just ask for effort and I don't think some players put in 100%.

I'm Oates biggest fan but he looks well off the speed. His run is so laboured, like he's dragging a 20kg barbell plate behind him. His runs out of a defensive 20m has been invaluable but I'm leaning to Arthurs starting in front of him.
I think all this criticism of Oates is just because he was playing in a team without any pace at all. Literally Arthars was the only quick back that was picked. Even Mariner would have made a difference. I think Oates compliments our ordinary squad, theres pace around him so all he needs to do is tough carries, catch the ball and score tries which he does well!

Broncos forward Brendan Piakura has been charged with three offences following Thursday night's loss to the Storm at Suncorp Stadium.

Piakura faces fines for two Careless High Tackle charges and a Dangerous Contact charge but will be available for selection in week one of the finals.

All three charges carry a $1000 fine with an early guilty plea, increasing to $1500 should he choose to fight the charge and be found guilty at the judiciary.

Broncos forward Brendan Piakura has been charged with three offences following Thursday night's loss to the Storm at Suncorp Stadium.

Piakura faces fines for two Careless High Tackle charges and a Dangerous Contact charge but will be available for selection in week one of the finals.

All three charges carry a $1000 fine with an early guilty plea, increasing to $1500 should he choose to fight the charge and be found guilty at the judiciary.

Hmmmm, the MRC must have thought Piakura was JWH for some reason... At least we get a positive result for once.

But the next Bronco to look at an opposition player wrong will get a month on the sidelines

The Broncos just couldn't handle the Storm's physicality. Their players were constantly making the right choices coming off the line and the Broncos just didn't know how to counter players coming off the line. They just dominate the effort areas and that was where the Broncos were found wanting, Papenhuyzen had an age to put kicks up.

I'm not overly concerned with what the result can mean coming into the finals series, but moreso in 2024. Their players just looked far more well drilled than the Broncos and the simple areas like passing and defence was just night and day.

Brand new competition, Brisbane have put themselves in a fantastic position and that's all you can ask for at this stage. Whatever happens between now and October is all up in the air.

I'm not overly concerned about the result either but for the first time in history, 3 Hookers was a dumb idea. We needed at least one more old head out there like Capewell or something to balance things out. I'd be interested to know the difference in experience for both sides tbh.

....the law of averages.
more times we lose
means we eventually gotta win.

Lets win the one that counts........ 😉

Exactly. The ex was a Storm supporter and whenever she got lippy about beating us I'd just say 06 and she'd shut up. It was good fun after 2010 as well...

Yes, he looked pretty sluggish by his standards. Yet by the end of the match, he was still the best player on the field. Can do without him hitting his straps off the bench in the finals.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Johnny92
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.