OPINION who would you pick as the next Broncos number 7?

Who do you think will be Reynolds replacement as our next Halfback?

• Sam Walker

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Lachlan Lam

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Other

Votes: 27 69.2%

• Total voters
Yes, way too soon. But he seems to have a footy brain. I have a good feeling about this kid.

The caveat is it was just over half a game and we would want to see it over a longer period. But yes, this kid looked very, very impressive. The fact he was landing his kicks on a dime is what was most impressive to me.

There are so many twists and turns to come but if these four all kick on, we have an amazing spine for the next decade:

1. Walsh (already kicked on and so much upside still)
6. Mam (already kicked on and so much upside still)
7. Black (So green, who knows how he ends up)
9. Mozer (Signs are all good but still needs to keep kicking on)

The caveat is it was just over half a game and we would want to see it over a longer period. But yes, this kid looked very, very impressive. The fact he was landing his kicks on a dime is what was most impressive to me.

There are so many twists and turns to come but if these four all kick on, we have an amazing spine for the next decade:

1. Walsh (already kicked on and so much upside still)
6. Mam (already kicked on and so much upside still)
7. Black (So green, who knows how he ends up)
9. Mozer (Signs are all good but still needs to keep kicking on)
Not sure whether he's turned 18 yet, but if not, he won't be far off it.

Dearden and Walker debuted at 18. Both a bit premature in retrospect. They handled it but their teams didn't flourish, and they were eventually dropped. Ikin and Fitler even played Origin at 18.

So he's not too young (in theory) to debut as a backup this year, but let's see how he handles the Q Cup.

I hope we see Black playing a decent amount of games in Qcup before Arey retires, there is alot of natural ability I see in the kid, he is young as **** though.

I haven't seen anything from Jock yet to suggest he's anything more than an adequate backup. Halfback is the most critical position in the team. You can build a team around an elite halfback.

We already have the halfback with the best kicking game in the comp, and up there with the best ever, but he was outpointed by his opposite number in the Grand Final. Unfortunately, his superpower let us down. That was a bitter pill to swallow.

I'll be watching Jock closely on the weekend. I haven't written him off yet, but I see more in Coby Black's future than I see in Jock's right now.
showed some today...but not jumping the gun. I reckon he has some game. just my opinion.

showed some today...but not jumping the gun. I reckon he has some game. just my opinion.
Yes, Jock clicked a bit better after the break. Solid enough. Same with Paix. Both looked NRL standard, just not sure it should be with us.

Pound for pound, purely as depth, I'd still put Sailor in front, though granted he has his own shortcomings.

Yes, Jock clicked a bit better after the break. Solid enough. Same with Paix. Both looked NRL standard, just not sure it should be with us.

Pound for pound, purely as depth, I'd still put Sailor in front, though granted he has his own shortcomings.
Fair enough. Sailor had some deft touches. Much more x factor than Jock but as a half that compliments Mam and Walsh I still think Jock will work out

I hope we see Black playing a decent amount of games in Qcup before Arey retires, there is alot of natural ability I see in the kid, he is young as **** though.
Yeah given his age he needs serious time in the Hostcup before I would consider call him upto first grade. That is why I'm glad we re-signed Reynolds that gives us some time to work with but still need more. I think much like we have with Mozer and other current dummy half options we need someone to handle the gap between Reynolds and when Black is ready(assuming he actually is).

I'm mixed about Mam at halfback tbh, his kicking game isn't one of his strong points(especially his tendency to rely on grubber kicks, he isn't Langer). I think Mam is better served as a running 5/8th. After Reynolds retires whoever is in the halves alongside Mam will need to provide a real kicking game, some say we have that in Walsh but in the modern game you need at least two serious options.

If i am picking from outside the club, I like Katoa at the Dolphins, think he is a serious talent. Same with Mikey Lewis from Hull KR. Really come on a lot as a player in the last 12 months or so, and has that bit of mongrel in him as well.

If i am picking from outside the club, I like Katoa at the Dolphins, think he is a serious talent. Same with Mikey Lewis from Hull KR. Really come on a lot as a player in the last 12 months or so, and has that bit of mongrel in him as well.

Big difference in fitness and defence to NRL .
Easier to bust tackles in Super League .

Big difference in fitness and defence to NRL .
Easier to bust tackles in Super League .

There isn't much difference in fitness at all. The game is different to over here, more open game in England but I dont buy their defence is any worse really with the top sides.

I find that hard to believe .
Also rans and blokes ready to retire play at the same level as the elite ?

Yeah given his age he needs serious time in the Hostcup before I would consider call him upto first grade. That is why I'm glad we re-signed Reynolds that gives us some time to work with but still need more. I think much like we have with Mozer and other current dummy half options we need someone to handle the gap between Reynolds and when Black is ready(assuming he actually is).

I'm mixed about Mam at halfback tbh, his kicking game isn't one of his strong points(especially his tendency to rely on grubber kicks, he isn't Langer). I think Mam is better served as a running 5/8th. After Reynolds retires whoever is in the halves alongside Mam will need to provide a real kicking game, some say we have that in Walsh but in the modern game you need at least two serious options.

Time for the Lord to return to the promised land:

He’ll be 30/31 in 2026. Perfect for a year or two at least to help allow Black a measured intro to first grade

Tries his guts out and is actually a pretty good half, which are hard to find at best of times

Did you watch Newcastle in the finals last year ?
Tyson made a lot of mistakes that hurt his team`s chances of winning .

I watched it and he also made a few plays that bought them right back into it before they ran out of puff.

They also aren’t as good as us and need more from their other players

Tyson would’ve felt the need to chance his hand more to get them there.

Don’t forget we won 8 games out of 9 in 2022 with him and we didn’t have Walsh and players that weren’t playing as good they are now

They also aren’t as good as us and need more from their other players

Tyson would’ve felt the need to chance his hand more to get them there.

Don’t forget we won 8 games out of 9 in 2022 with him and we didn’t have Walsh and players that weren’t playing as good they are now

Gamble is underrated, no idea why. He is a big half, has a decent kick, is calm under pressure, has niggle and can play make really well. I'd happily take him back for a year or two if needed between Reynolds and Black.

Gamble is underrated, no idea why. He is a big half, has a decent kick, is calm under pressure, has niggle and can play make really well. I'd happily take him back for a year or two if needed between Reynolds and Black.

He also takes the line on and can draw defenders away from his second rower and can slip a soft pass
to them for an easy line break or to create the overlap wider

I think he’d like to come back as well at some point being from Brisbane, and to make amends for the podcast comments. He was too good to be playing ressies, just unfortunate it happened at the same time he was losing his spot in the first 17

Time for the Lord to return to the promised land:

View attachment 26256

He’ll be 30/31 in 2026. Perfect for a year or two at least to help allow Black a measured intro to first grade

Tries his guts out and is actually a pretty good half, which are hard to find at best of times

both Black and Madden will be streaks ahead of Gamble by 2026.

Hell, Madden is arguably already equal to Gamble if not ahead of him.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gambles attitude and niggle on the field ... but he is hardly the half you get if you wone to become or stay a top 4 team. he is the half you get if you're rebuilding, get you through until you've become respectable on the field, then jettison for someone who can propel you to the top

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Culhwch
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • Swordfish
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Jazza
  • Tim K
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.