Round 18 - Broncos vs Panthers - Post Game Discussion

My biggest disappointment is the softness in D, it's a practised method of going in high to stop the ball then get bodies in to slow things up. It's crap and soft and doesn't work.
Some things in footy don't change, it comes down to how hard you run and how hard you tackle. We have forgotten how to intimidate with hard D. Our forwards should be embarrassed about how soft the middle is.

Shit game but I'm actually impressed we came back like we did, Panthers deserved the win in the end though.

Here's to hoping we meet the Panthers again in the finals and we smash them just so I could see Soward cry like a baby.

Yeah I've said before that due to the Vortex, Hunt has to do everything. Meaning that every kick has to be taken by him. How many other teams have just one kicker? That's why he has a few bad ones every game. We see all the mistakes as well as his talent because it gets forced on him. and a 1st year halfback is allowed some slack imo.

On the game/team/everything itself: While it's great that we can attack decently, we just have no speed. None from Barba, Hoffman, Copley, Reed or any of our forwards. We can't break a tackle if our lives depended on it and there's only so many times Hunt's show-and-go will work.

On defence, we have no hard-hitters. Now maybe it has to do with the shoulder charge rule, but I haven't seen a big hit from any of our forwards all year. No one or two forwards just laying someone out on their back. God damn we need some big bodies. Kennedy was supposed to be that fix ... but ... yeah. We have a team of 2nd rowers or short props who try and hit holes but just never get through. I don't care how much Big Dave can bench, I want him doing 10-15m sprints all off-season. I'd prefer a fast team over a strong, slow team

Edit: Oh and if I see another one-pass off the ruck only for that player to then run back into the markers, I will explode in a fit of rage.

IT DOESN"T WORK :mad2::frusty:

Last edited:
My biggest disappointment is the softness in D, it's a practised method of going in high to stop the ball then get bodies in to slow things up. It's crap and soft and doesn't work.
Some things in footy don't change, it comes down to how hard you run and how hard you tackle. We have forgotten how to intimidate with hard D. Our forwards should be embarrassed about how soft the middle is.

I find it hard to accept that the stats say we're the 2nd best defensive team in the comp

Fucked if I know how ??

Our defence is shit and has been all year .....

11 of our 16 games played have been against teams currently outside the top 8, including the Titans twice. That probably helps things. Also, we play so often at night, not the better attacking conditions of the day, so maybe that is a factor too?

I expect a crappy general kicking game from Ben Hunt......but usually he's a solid defender.

he missed a few crucial tackles tonight that directly leaked points. Really hurt us....

My big issue isn't that we're losing games. The thing that's really starting to get to me lately is that I find watching the broncos boring.

I can't remember a winger making a spectacular dive for the corner, I can't remember a forward hit up that knocks the defence on their ass, I can't remember a huge hit, or a beautiful back line movement, an exciting kick return, or an amazing last second Hail Mary that resulted in victory. There's very few players on our team that I feel connected to, or who's performance or effort makes me want them to be sucesful (other then hunt, Parker, and Hodges).

It's weird, i thought if I ever lost passion for the broncos it would be due to a big event like a betrayel or cheating but instead it just petered out due to lack of performance like a relationship with a dried up sex life.

We were our own worst enemies tonight with our poor starts to both halves and McGuire now keeps Ashton Sims in company. Proud of the effort we showed to fight back but we should've won it really as the Panthers were missing their starting half and makeshift half went off as well as Mansour.

Can't believe some rate Barba's defence. My grandad could tackle better.

"Another loss means one step closer to Griffin getting the sack."

The posters that say that are more delusional than Griffin and White. At least Gee did contribute something worthwhile to the club in his 20 years service.

At least Gee did contribute something worthwhile to the club in his 20 years service.

Gee then ruined his contribution to the club, with his recruitments.

Last edited:
On defence, we have no hard-hitters. Now maybe it has to do with the shoulder charge rule, but I haven't seen a big hit from any of our forwards all year. No one or two forwards just laying someone out on their back. God damn we need some big bodies. Kennedy was supposed to be that fix ... but ... yeah. We have a team of 2nd rowers or short props who try and hit holes but just never get through. I don't care how much Big Dave can bench, I want him doing 10-15m sprints all off-season. I'd prefer a fast team over a strong, slow team

Who's job is it to fire them up and get them playing the way they should.

It all boils down to "the effort was there" every.. single.. week.

My big issue isn't that we're losing games. The thing that's really starting to get to me lately is that I find watching the broncos boring.

I can't remember a winger making a spectacular dive for the corner, I can't remember a forward hit up that knocks the defence on their ass, I can't remember a huge hit, or a beautiful back line movement, an exciting kick return, or an amazing last second Hail Mary that resulted in victory. There's very few players on our team that I feel connected to, or who's performance or effort makes me want them to be sucesful (other then hunt, Parker, and Hodges).

It's weird, i thought if I ever lost passion for the broncos it would be due to a big event like a betrayel or cheating but instead it just petered out due to lack of performance like a relationship with a dried up sex life.

I'll sum up your long post with one word - griffinball

Oh man... I didn't think we would win but to lose in that way is just awful but with this season its not like the Broncos fans aren't used to it.

And to think if they didn't give away 2 penalties at the start and then the out on the full off the kick off they probably would have won. And the mistakes... so many crucial mistakes.

I am expecting the Broncos to miss the 8 unless big changes are made and we all know they won't be because "well we were almost there".

Oh man... I didn't think we would win but to lose in that way is just awful but with this season its not like the Broncos fans aren't used to it.

And to think if they didn't give away 2 penalties at the start and then the out on the full off the kick off they probably would have won. And the mistakes... so many crucial mistakes.

I am expecting the Broncos to miss the 8 unless big changes are made and we all know they won't be because "well we were almost there".

I'm fully expecting Barba and Hoffman to switch positions for the remainder of the season, it seems like the better option with Barba's current fear of catching balls and Hoffman's lack of playmaking ability. Whether it makes any difference to our season though, who knows?

It's actually possible that Hoffman's time in the 6 might improve his ability as a fullback.

I expect a crappy general kicking game from Ben Hunt......but usually he's a solid defender.

he missed a few crucial tackles tonight that directly leaked points. Really hurt us....

He sure did. Two arm only tackles led to 12 points. This team is lacking any killer instinct what so ever. We are what we are... a patchy so so side that does little in the way of put fear into the opposition.

Defence once again lets us down. Attitude has to have a lot to do with it. We play like an inexperienced side. We are in and out of games.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.